Iowa 2016 Morel Mania

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by scrid, Feb 22, 2016.

1. mushroom_mentor

mushroom_mentor Morel Connoisseur

[video]https://youtu.be/61bt2LMX1CQ[/video]

2. shroomtrooper

shroomtrooper Morel Connoisseur

KB if I had a heli it would be yours and OldElm and bucky, SG too and all the others. I took this week off thinking I would watch my sons last year in tennis matches and hitting the morels. Turned out the morels are not here in force yet, would have rescheduled the vacation but sons last year in varsity sports came first. And worse yet, my best spot I met a seasoned picker roaming my spot. We talked shared some stories, nice guy. He was picking in the glory years of the 70's. I have only 17 so far, best days are ahead, but no more vacation time to spare. So I hear ya, dam early warm up and cool dry spell down there messed you up. Well take care my Iowa brothers, funny, some people ask are you looking at the wild flowers ( as did a lady when I hooked up with OldElm) The seasoned picker looked at me with a grin, are you hiking or mushroom picking, emphasis on the mushroom picking. At that point I knew, he already knew. I said ya, how many have you found, I knew he found some already just by sizing him up. He says he lurks on this site, if you read this, create a profile, would love to hear from you.

3. shroomtrooper

Glad you found some mushroommentor, glad you left the small ones

4. swi shroomer

swi shroomer Morel Connoisseur

HunterGatherer: Great post. What a neat thing to be able to travel up here and do a multi-week hunt. That is way cool. Thanks for the stories and pics. That goes for everyone else as well. I had to live vicariously through those of you who actually found some, unlike me. Next year will return to normalcy in my spots. I hope!

5. scottcountyshroomer

scottcountyshroomer Morel Enthusiast

Hit 90 here today with a pretty dry wind blowing... is this game over?

6. hijeff430

hijeff430 Young Morel

Tried again today in Jackson county. Of course nothing, but I did see my first "pecker head" this year. Not sure if this is a good, bad, or in different sign.

Scott county shroomer, I'm in davenport and have had no luck around here but the only place I can think that would be worthwhile is the county park.

7. goodmorel

goodmorel Morel Enthusiast

I found 26 last Friday (4/29) at Wild Cat Den. Not bad for public park. Hoping to go out Sunday afternoon, but is it getting to be too late?

8. chrigs

chrigs Morel Enthusiast

They are just starting in nw iowa, found 2 smalls on the sunny side of the river bottom timber, was wondering if they would pop, after being under water.this week will tell the story. the yellow was a little rusty, but I will take it at this point.

9. chrigs

chrigs Morel Enthusiast

trooper, ahh the glory years of the 70s. I remember as a kid, having mushrooms strung up dryng , seemed like the entier ceiling was covered all over the house. We ate so many that one year that I couldn't eat them for several years later. W ould like to have that problem again. Also these were the years of $ 50 dollar raccoons and $100 fox, yes the glory years indeed.

10. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Karma rules, thanks to all the folks that have posted or called me with info.and encouragement, it helped provide my mother in law and with fresh morels on Mother's day for the 30th year in a row. Got up sat. at about 3:30 and drove 300 miles NW. Madman, i was going to go up where you were but i know the hills in the west better, and its closer. Relatively. I walked way up a hill to one of those not so good elms your were talking about madman. Well it had nothing, but a snapped off cottonwood 20 yards down the other side of the hill had 136 tennis ball yellows. Never would have walked to that tree without your post. stopped to talk to an old timer working on his tractor, said he had heard it was a bad year, he laughed when i told him i had drove up from Mo. to find morels for Mother's day. Told me I could hunt his land, took me to his best spot, and rode away in his pickup. Tried to give him at least half of what i picked there but he only took about a pound. said the wife won't eat them and the kids live somewhere else, he was glad someone was enjoying them. farmer Cal, your a saint. Other than that it was ones and twos, and mostly trees with nothing. Got back home about 10:30 last night. My wife told me i was getting too old for trips like that . Not yet. oh, I also forgot my phone, so my wife was freaking a little since i did not check in. Maybe she has a small point. Took #4 to the retirement home, can't feed just one person, traded one # for 3 homemade pies for their desert, sat back and watched some deserving elders enjoy themselves.

11. shroomtrooper

I love hearing stories like that, good job KB.

12. shroomtrooper

crigs I remember when I was about 13 seeing these huge mushrooms, didnt know what a morel was. Being a kid I of course I kicked it and the others. Went down a week later to finish the rest off, they where gone. They where so big. They where morels I am sure. I wish I knew then what I know now.

13. swi shroomer

swi shroomer Morel Connoisseur

Fantastic story, kb!

14. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

crigs, there are a few up your way. I really think it is mid to late season there based on the size and shape of what i picked sat. Better get what you can, unless you know something i don't. The calendar dates have meant nothing this year so far anywhere i have been.

15. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

thanks folks,got lucky again this season. Had not been up to some of those spots in maybe 20 years. Things had changed, or maybe my memory is slipping. I always like the Iowa board, there are actually people on it that have knowledge and infor. and don't mind sharing some of it. Most likely done for the year, going to Minn.and back in one day is possible with the longer daylight hours now I think, but not really sane. Any year you guys happen to mosey down my way in season give me a shout, you saw my # in the madman post, we got the bad year out of the way now, going to start filling boxes again next year.

16. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman Morel Connoisseur

Shroomtrooper, ran into something like that last year. Had a beautiful arc of meadow mushrooms coming up in a local park. Second year in a row finding them there. About 40 in all but quite small, so I left them to grow a little. When I went back to pick at least a few, someone had stomped almost all of them into the ground! Instead of 40, I wound with about 7 small buttons.

17. shroomtrooper

Probably a kid having his fun I bet.

18. hijeff430

hijeff430 Young Morel

I hopped in my car Saturday morning and just drove...Ended up in Whitewater State Park in SE MN where I found only a few small greys. I tell you what though, so far this year if elephant ears were the gold crop I would be hitting it rich!!!

19. chrigs

chrigs Morel Enthusiast

kb, thanks for the info. trooper -good luck up north

20. ruralpeas

ruralpeas Young Morel

Here in Iowa County, living with the Iowa River wetlands just outside my window, I started this season with all the excitement carrying from a good 1st year, last year...having found maybe about 12 pounds last year. First two days last year...nothing...and then every time after...bountiful.

This year...I've gone 6 times. Maybe 16 hours out. Found 10! Not 10 lbs, but 10 mushrooms! Six on one outing, four on another, both times from under the same tree where I had found some a year ago. All other spots of great bounty a year ago...not a single mushroom?

Stopped in Belle Plaine late afternoon, yesterday, after 4.5 hours in the woods. Beautiful day, always take a camera, and got some great pics of things of interest to me. But unbelievably skunked. Stopped at the Casey's to chat with a friend my age (62) who was working, and she shared that everyone had been having a bad year. I wish I had known that before trudging in thigh-high grass to the next yellow birch, or sycamore, or whatever. I would have focused on things less...exhausting! Later in the evening, I got the worse cramps of my life in my inner upper thighs, so painful it made me nauseous and faint-headed! Thought I'd been hydrating enough...but...my body screamed that I hadn't.

This being only my second year, I am a bit relieved to see on here as well that things have been tough for many shroom hunters. With so little experience, I thought I had missed something important...like...shrooms only appear every 17 years or something? ;-)