Iowa 2016 Morel Mania

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by scrid, Feb 22, 2016.

1. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

Sidetracked yesterday and today...sometimes life gets in the way of life. But amid the rat race it all momentarily came into sweet focus Friday afternoon on the Johnson-Washington county line.

[​IMG]

Good luck to all who seek.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. mushroom_mentor

mushroom_mentor Morel Connoisseur

Glad some of you are having luck! Still waiting up here in Minnesota! We are finding lots of fiddlehead ferns and Ramps tho. Check out our video and subscribe! Thanks and good luck! [video]http://youtu.be/XHffZ8szP7o[/video]

3. rustyshackelford

rustyshackelford Young Morel

Yeah they are here but nearly enough of them. I hunted everywhere all day for almost 2 pounds.Same price 30.

4. swi shroomer

swi shroomer Morel Connoisseur

Having a horrible year after only having found a total of 5 morels in five trips out. Still hoping for a flush where I look and get in three or four good days of hunting where I am actually finding some instead of scratching my head wondering why they haven't appeared. . May 8 was the last day of hunting for me a year ago but I think it will likely be a week sooner this year when I call it quits. Weeds are becoming an issue. Time will tell. Good luck all!

5. woodyfudpuck r

woodyfudpuck r Morel Enthusiast

I walked for 3 hours in a great-looking Timber. I haven't hunted this spot before but it's close to home looks very shroomy and I didn't find anythingreat. In three trips out two of them to Washington County to a spot I know well I have picked five mushrooms. All little Gray's. It's still pretty early though I always jump the gun and start a week before I find anything so I'm plenty optimistic. Hope others are doing better than me so far

6. mushroomer-carter

mushroomer-carter Young Morel

Hi all! First timer here. Northern Linn county, found 13 in the last 2 days. Small grays and small yellows. Took my 2 young daughters today (6 & 9) and they both found a couple. The excitement they both shared was well worth the 3 hours for 7 little guys. Thanks for having me.

7. bloomer

bloomer Morel Enthusiast

Found 42 two-three inch grays around Red Rock Res yesterday. All very new. Most likely popped Saturday from all the heat after last week's rains.

8. brandonpgm

brandonpgm Morel Enthusiast

went out this weekend in cedar county and found 40 grays and a few yellows. Most of them on north facing slopes, which is shockin becuase i have found very few on south slopes. I have a bad feeling that the morel season might be pretty short this year. I hope im wrong!!!!!!!!! good luck everyone

9. shroomhawk

shroomhawk Morel Enthusiast

Best explanation I have yet seen on the elm/morel relationship:
    http://www.kieferco.com/kieferco%5Cmorels%5Cmorels3.html

10. leahk3

leahk3 Morel Enthusiast

Went out for a few hours today. Found 3 small greys and 2 good size yellow as well as one small yellow. Greys were nice and fresh, but the yellows were starting to dry up. I don't know what's going on with that, but I hope it doesn't mean the season is going to be bad. The weather won't make up it's mind, and I'm worried that the season is going to go belly up on us before it even gets started.

11. swi shroomer

Leah, that is the way it has been for me in the low hills of sourhwest Iowa.The season has not unfolded normally, not even close to normal. The small greys have been complety absent, but I have found a few drying yellows. Worst season ever for me. Holding out hope for a late flush of giant yellows, but I am not holding my breath. I am blaming the unseasonably warm March followed by several cold nights and days in April combined with a severe lack of moisture. The rains came last week, but they were too late to make a difference as the table had already been set for a lousy season. These are my personal observations of an area I have hunted with pretty good success for 25 years. I know it well and it is telling me come back next year in no uncertain terms.

12. shroomtrooper

shroomtrooper Morel Connoisseur

I am from MN and I feel for you, hope thinks turn around for you. Shroomgod how are you doing? Scid?I think it will pick up for you. Kind of weird up here too, but setting up nice. Goodluck

13. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

SW. i think you summed up all the reasons that we all agree on down here. Isolated cases of good luck. I know some guys that hit a 20 plus spot in the bottoms, then picked next to nothing for 2 days. Hills were even more spotty. I managed to get close to #13 good ones out of SW iowa hills, but it took me three days and 14 miles of climbing up and down ditches. I think between where i was and S. city it was even drier. I will probably go up and look anyway, Next year is to far away.

14. bagger

bagger Young Morel

Has anyone had experience with a good area that the supposed care takers of natural lands have cleared the underbrush and chewed clear paths thru , curious if the mushrooms will propagate on for a few seasons ?
    Its heartbreaking to see wild public places desecrated. If the public wants unobstructed walking paths in nature - let em use bike trails I say.

15. fun gus

fun gus Morel Connoisseur

Bagger. Had a great spot that meets your description. They chopped down lots of elm and made wide trails a couple years ago. First year they grew along edge but now it's like fungus ddt. Nothing within 25 feet over last three years. Good news though, they did the first round of trail cut through 20-25 years ago and had the same thing but now I've got hot spots along the old trail. If you're young enough, it should get good again

16. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

SW, man i feel for you in that post. Old honey holes are like an old friend you visit once or twice a year, with all the memories that go with them. I anticipate getting to go to them and it sucks when the year is bad. Even worse is when you begin to realize it just is not worth going to anymore due to a lack or morels or to much traffic. I hear the river bottom spots around council bluffs have produced some good finds for some, or at least enough to eat a few meals. I am going to hit some north facing slopes in some deep ditches i think up north of you Thur. if possible. One of my favorite spots or I would not bother.

17. mushroomer-carter

mushroomer-carter Young Morel

Went out again tonight in northern Linn co. Found 3 small random yellows and then 22 medium yellows under my new favorite dead elm. All on north facing slopes. All were fresh and not there 2 days ago. Seems to be firing up. Also like grandpa use to say, " when mushroom hunting don't look at the ground, look to the tree tops"!

18. swi shroomer

Kb: That is exactly where I am at. I have seen the reports of good finds on the river in the Omaha area but I just can't get into going there. Not my thing. A buddy of mine is finding some nice ones on the bottoms by Mo. Valley and says they are starting in the hills there. He hunts both. I am going to take another look in my spots this weekend. Good luck on your trip north!

19. chrigs

chrigs Morel Enthusiast

IM in far nw iowa, theyr' not popping here yet. The news from sw iowa doesn't sound to promiseing, I'm hopeful that we are late enough that the recent rains will turn the tide for us and Minnisota. I was walking a hot spot yesterday, there is so many dead and dying elms there that I worry about trees falling on me. Made me wonder if anyone has ever had a close call with falling trees?

20. woodyfudpuck r

woodyfudpuck r Morel Enthusiast

I found 10 nice greys last night around lake Darling. 3rd time in there in 2 weeks. Yellows haven't started here yet.

Chrigs, I haven't had a close call with a falling tree but I was fishing in a boat on lake Macbride one perfectly calm summer night and a tree fell in the timber pretty close by. Really cam crashing down. Probably never hear that again.