Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

121 - 140 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
chrigs, I hope they grow better up there. You guys are one of my last stops. Falling trees? When my brother and i were about 12-13 we were walking towards one of those old time monster dead elm you saw in the 60's and most of the 70's in a high wind day. We were about 50 yards away when the entire thing crashed. Went home that day. SW. thanks, i am going because i can, i doubt i will do any better than what you have seen. Funny, ten years ago today in my morel journal I finished a 3 day run of #53 in a N.Central Mo honey hole i had back then. Ten years later i no longer go to that spot. Most all the elms are gone, and with them the morels. Times change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not a seasoned pro, but find enough to make me happy, so I'm looking for advice from the veterans. Do you think these next few days, with lows down in the 40- 50 range, it would be too cold to make them pop? I went out today, but didn't have any luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
@ good morel

cooler weather isn't usually a problem once the season has started

Problem is this is the slowest start to a season I can remember in the last 20 years of hunting central Iowa. I'm always finding sack fulls of good size yellows and greys by now in Boone, Polk, Dallas and Story Counties. This year I hardly scrape together 20-30 smallish greys in a half day of hunting. I've haven't seen many yellows at all. No huge patches. I just don't get why. The woods are saturated, temps have been quite nice.

One thing I've noticed are these giant shelf mushrooms growing on nearly every good dead elm I find. While I've always seen some of these, they seem to be everywhere now, they are huge. I've been wondering if they have been pushing morels out. It's the only thing that seems any different.

We should have 3-4 more weeks, I'm just hoping things pick up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok went out yesterday here in Cedar county after work and found a few pounds mainly grays about 2 to 4 in tall. All mainly north to northeast facing slopes. South slopes seem to be done around my area which normally means the season is about over. Horrible year if that's the case as i usually find between 15 and 30 lbs in my area.

·
Registered
824 Posts
fungus, I saw the same thing in NW Iowa today. No morels on elm. I think they are dryad saddle. I could have picked #20 of those if i wanted to. Sorry guys, it was the same down in Mo. Kansas had no morels at all hardly. I blame El Nino. I picked one elm with over 60 this year down in Fremont county, most were few or none.

1 Posts
A lot of things are on my mind. I'll share a few.

1. I've decided to adopt a new name befitting the humility that I feel when I am in the magical and mystical embrace of nature. It occurred to me, as I dropped to my knees before a giant dead elm, praying that there might be a mother lode, that I am NO "Shroom god." How presumptuous to have exceeded my existential boundaries! To have wantonly cast myself as "Shroom god" was the height of arrogance and folly. Tonight, in the lowly state of bended knee before a tree, it occurred to me that I am comparatively feeble in the larger scheme of things. So, in consideration of that--and the recent passing of Prince--I have adopted a new name more befitting my mortal being.

2. Things are strange this season. We are into a second flush here in Wadhington/Johnson counties; the first was poor; the second seems more promising, albeit on hilltops and the upper NW/N/NE slopes. I've found about a third of what I normally find.

3. No ticks. Odd...usually have many. Not a one so far. Ramps, bloodroot, flox...but no Dutchman's breeches, so far. Strange.

4. Elms are unpredictable. Large, dead elms are often not producing (or under-producing). Small 10-inch trees are yielding 10-15 on occasion, Check the small ones! Also, lots of Dryad's saddles out there...edible!

5. The arrival of my granddaughter is 3 days overdue so I'm looking forward to finishing the season and heading out there for a visit and greeting.

6. I walked my ass off in public ground this late afternoon for 50-60, but they're fresh. Second flush is on. We'll be all done in 2 weeks. Ground cover is posing a challenge and will get worse. In 4-5 days. North slopes will be the place to go.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Well dude! I,m now known as the symbol which is a mushroom! Not buckthornman anymore just mushroom. Mother nature didn't let you be as wild as you wanted! Bummer! We're shaping up here nicely. Was hoping you were running like a farrell dog,scratched from head to toe living in the wild! The pain was just weakness leaving your body. And you were already plotting. Ur. Next mission! Skin tougher than permathin and roasting morels over your campfire thinking of a way to even get closer to which is the morelituss which I have!...never quit God!!:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
WHATS IN A NAME?
Have enjoyed your wisdom through the years here in Lincoln,NE. My barometer tree has failed to produce this year but has been steady for 11 plus years. Never seen this type of season. If we do retire to Arizona this year, I must go out today (Arbor Day) and say goodbye and thanks for all the morels we harvested. THANKS MAN

·
Registered
9 Posts
Far East Iowa, here. Things are still Weird. Can confirm what SG said about there being a whole load of Dryad's saddle, getting them small is best, but some of them have gotten pretty large. No ticks, but I have seen a bunch of Dutchman here, and has been that way for a couple weeks. No ramps for me, which is too bad, I wanted to try out a recipe for Dryad saddle with Ramp pesto :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
WELL, MY HOPE FOR BEING THE EXCEPTION TO THE POOR hunting in Iowa this year is dashed as the river is out of its banks, and flooding the river bottoms. Might have to head for the hills or into Minn. I don't remember a year when the entire state is slow, for no apparent reason. I'm going with the chem trail conspiracy theory. Sounds as good a theory as anything else.Trooper, what are the conditions in the north country? Has any one heard from Phillup Bags?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure about chems, but the temperatures haven't done much good, and the continuing invastion of Garlic Mustard screws up mushrooms, too. It says "Environmental Impacts Phytotoxin interrupts mycorrhizal activity" at http://agriculture.nh.gov/publications-forms/documents/garlic-mustard.pdf I try to yank it whenever I see it when hiking, discing, or hunting now.

·
Registered
824 Posts
no ticks in Mo either. sounds like a good thing, but anything that weird means something is screwy. chrigs, don't know where you are in the NW, i was in the state forest hills and only picked 5 thur. maybe better more north?

·
Registered
311 Posts
My alter ego triumphs today, however I’m feeling ungodly. It was yet another dismal return insomuch as shrooms are concerned; a GRAND total of 15 in 3 hours. That injury was coupled with the insult of having walked so many miles through challenging terrain that my pelvic sockets and my hip joints are simply cashed out. Even my toes hurt. Today I traipsed way back into a 700-acre tract of public land. I should have had second thoughts when I pulled into the parking lot and there were 6 other cars. Regardless of how far back I went the place had an appearance that suggested a “running of the bulls” had taken place there. Every tree, whether dead or alive, had been literally weed-whacked multiple times by the eager sticks of hopeful shroomers. The place had taken a beating like a bad boxer. Such pillage and plunder I’ve never seen in this place, and I’ve hunted it for years. I became so desperate that I began to harvest Dryad’s saddles if for no other reason than to fill my sack and give the appearance that I was successful. Thus with sack laden with pheasantbacks I did a walk of shame back to the Jeep. Another hunter stared in envy when I arrived at the parking lot and called out “Looks like you had some luck!” to which I replied, “Just a little.”
The day wasn’t all bad, however, for I connected in a very visceral way with the ancient pulse of humanity that shared that place sometime during 8,500-10,000 B.P. Having emerged from a dense thicket of multiflora that demanded I literally crawl to save my life, I emerged upon a burned pasture. While crossing it I flushed a quail—not very common here. A bit further beyond that I glanced a pointed stone on the surface, stooped, and picked up a perfect Dalton point!
As I admired the point a bluebird flitted past and perched not far away. Suddenly, present merged with past and I was reminded why this place is special to people and animals alike—and has been so very much longer than time itself.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I can relate to that SWI. I actually found my first one on my 5th birthday and was hooked. I grew up on an artifact-rich ridge in Jones County. One site not far from our place was loaded...it had been hunted for decades and the stuff that came off that hill was mind-blowing. I found 7 there one day, just walking the rows. Of course I took them with me when I got my own apartment...they were a most prized possession. My place didn't have locks and someone helped themselves to them. I had about 50, including several knives, a few axes, a celt, I hope you happen to find one. It's an amazing feeling.

·
Registered
24 Posts
mg, interesting find, reminded me when I was 12 ish, while deer hunting, found a stone hammer. then sometime later a arrow head in the river, while picking up clam shells. Funny , after that I hunted purposely for them for several years and never found any more.

·
Registered
311 Posts
good luck chrigs. I used to live up that way--BV County--and had some decent luck in the Linn Grove & Peterson area. Hope it turns on. Things just haven't materialized here. Might have been that freakishly warm March followed by a cold snap. Not sure, but the season is a pale reflection of what many anticipated.

A hammer is an awesome find! That's quite a feeling isn't it? Makes a person wonder why or how they lost it, doesn't it? A perfectly good hammer, after all! What ya s'pose is up with that? The average hunter/gather operating in bands used to strategically stash caches of tools throughout their hunting area. I think I found a cache a few years ago as the same spot has yielded several pieces, all very similar, most recently a 4-inch knife. I think the place where I found this was a camp or village as there was evidence of flintknapping, and a strong spring was present just about 50 yards downhill.

·
Registered
824 Posts
my brother found a bison skeleton with the arrow head still imbedded in the bone. It was on the edge of a eroded ditch/pond after a big rain. He was hunting but did not have a camera. Still has the arrowhead. Weird what you can find looking down. Elm Morel hunters spend a lot of time looking up.

121 - 140 of 211 Posts