Iowa 2016 Morel Mania

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by scrid, Feb 22, 2016.

1. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

crigs, do you think its still early in the hills there? I was in the hills not far south of you and it seemed they should have been there, but were not. Any full bloom lilacs near you? I hear the bottoms on the Mo. are hitting up there. Although with all the rain I don't know how some of them are not flooding. Both the Sioux's flooding? Outside of you not hearing much from up there.

2. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

Talked to a friend who hunts hard the bottom two tier Iowa counties and he said it's over...not worth the effort down there. He told me of rumors on Facebook of some guy posting pics of 5 gallon buckets full supposedly from the Loess Hills. We could do that too if we filled the bottom 99% of the buckets with a blanket or something. Reminds me of the $5 bet my uncle Mike made...claimed his catfish would weigh 10 pounds. It looked to be 5, so the guy took him up on it. Sure enough, it weighed in at 10 lbs., 3 oz. He collected the $5 and then joked about how he'd stuffed that thing with sinkers. Anyway, multiple 5 gallon buckets just seems like a bit of a stretch and definitely not the norm this year! Good luck going north kb. Speaking of north, poor buckthorn...I think I saw you guys had SNOW up there a few days ago. (shaking head in disbelief).

3. chrigs

chrigs Morel Enthusiast

kb, lilocs are just beginning to bloom, they havnt started in the river bottoms yet. maybe on some south facing hills. I;m thinking not though, the 4" soil temp. is back down to 45. All the bottoms in clay dickison and bv are flooded now. I opted to go walleye fishing this morning, as opposed to sliding down the hills. if I was going to go this coming week I'd go to bv, Sac or Cherokee co. areas. also another area that could be hot yet is Sioux co. the Inwood area.Theyre in the same temp zone as us. I'm thinking with temps creeping back up this week ,if they are going to pop at all,Mothers day and the following week should be it.

4. chrigs

chrigs Morel Enthusiast

mg, Yea indian artifacts are very cool, especially finding them, It makes me think, those guys were hunting the same areas we are, 1000 years or more before us.Think of the man hours it must have taken to make one arrow. I was wondering about the hammer, how they got a stick tied on for a handle, solid enough to function. Or did they cut the groove around it to grip it like a baseball, without a handle.
    Its very hard to imagine surviving an Iowa winter in a tent.

5. almightymorel

almightymorel Morel Enthusiast

I Found first 3 greys today around a live elm then nothing else except pheasant backs Which I hate to eat! We got the moisture just need a lot of sun this week got some great spot I'm from dubuque Iowa got a great feeling this year I know I'm gonna find the motherlode.

6. leahk3

leahk3 Morel Enthusiast

Well, I went out today to one of my best spots. It usually produces very well for me. Not the case this time. I spent three hours literally crawling through thick thorns in the rain and found ONE morel. :roll:

7. hijeff430

hijeff430 Young Morel

I have only been hunting these lil devils for a few years now and can never hit the big loads. I went Friday out in Jackson Co and found 6...After hearing reports from an ex her brother claimed 5lbs and another brother claimed another 1 or 2 pounds. Went out again on Sunday and found nothing. I have spent more than 10+ hours in the woods so far for 6 freaking mushrooms... I am starting to think this might not be my thing!

8. almightymorel

It takes a lot of patience to find these little suckers! You will find them just never give up I'm gonna go looking today I will post pics if I find some. I hope everyone gets luck also

9. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

430, alot of those reports are kind of like fishing stories. they get larger the more they are told. be careful who you listen to. Most second hand reports i hear of i figure they found maybe a third of what they claim.

10. chrigs

chrigs Morel Enthusiast

hijeff, this is abad year to get started in schrooming. But the truth is , even the most seasoned hunters have bad years, they just don't talk about them much.So far this year , I didn't tag out on turkey, havnt caught a walleye, and havnt found one morel, but I keep going because I love the outdoors. When I started many years ago, I made 2 main mistakes; 1 going befor their up. Id' put the miles on, get frustrated, give up. I figured out the signs, lilocs blooming ect. when you do find em, take note of whats going around you so youll have an Idea next year. Take notes. 2- I was walking unproductive timber. Ifigured out that I could only walk so many miles in a day. so study the timber befor walking at all. evergreens, oak stands etc. not my 1st pick. dead and dieing elms -thats where I'm going 1st. I don't get so frustrated anymore because I enjoy woods loafing. there is always something cool to see in the woods, even if you don't find what your looking for.This and other forums are great short cut to getting it right. Don't get me wrong, I'm not the greatest shroom hunter, But usually find enough for myself without hunting for weeks on end. Good luck!

11. almightymorel

Didn't find any today but found devils urn Does Anybody know if they are edible?.

12. scottcountyshroomer

scottcountyshroomer Morel Enthusiast

Scouted a new place. Hour and a half came up with this. Flats/leaning west slightly towards a creek. Spoils.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  13. almightymorel

Can anybody give me good tips it's seems like I find great areas where they should be but Nope nothing It's really sucks That I only got 10 this year and thought I would be getting tons! ,,,

14. shroom god

<em>AlmightyMorel, consider yourself a member of the <strong>Shroom Angst 2016 </strong>club! </em>

This season it seems that we are all hosed. No matter how productive our habitat may be, forces at this point beyond our understanding have conspired to render our season SHITTY. Yesterday I walked 4 hours for 30...today was 3 hours for 20 (which I gave away).Consider this as paying your dues. It's okay. Hang tough. And kick ass next year, k?

15. shroom god

Scott County Shroomer, you're ON it! Every minute of this coming week should be worth its weight in gold. Best here are gradual slopes, east facing. That's been the case for 2 weeks...it's gotta shift to west and north in the next few days.

16. shroom god

Devil's urn...never heard of that, but from the name of it I'd run like hell!

There was a time when I tried everything. I stopped eating anything and everything at 13 when my friend Jeff and I were out mushrooming and he offered me an Indian turnip bulb (jack in the pulpit) which he'd washed off in a nearby spring..."Here, eat this."

HOLY #@[email protected]@#!!! When I bit into that bastard it exploded like a pincushion in my mouth!
    I survived, but Jeff ended up missing school for a few days because he wiped his ass with poison ivy. Serves him right. Inexorably, nature rules.

Devil's urn??? Be careful with that stuff. I'd stick to marijuana and call it good enough.

17. almightymorel

Shroomgod It's Just so hard to wait for so long for the next season just gotta pray this week is when they start all coming out and Yeah I'd rather smoke a joint with a nice cold beer and some fried morels then eat that devil urn Definitely The Coolest mushroom I ever saw sadly that might be the best part of season but thanks for the input But I have a question for u what's the most u found in one day?

18. almightymorel

Shroomgod Don't give up on the season u never know u might be finding pound after pound this week

19. shroom god

<em>Dang Almighty one...I just don't know if I have the shit left to keep it going. Since I scored the first 25-30 small grays here along the Washington/Johnson County line, I imagine I've walked at least 25 miles...for a total of maybe 300. That's pathetic, Almighty one. That defines "Piss Poor."

But you're inspiring me...I'm not through. This afternoon I gave away a bag of 30 to a really cool landowner as a peace token for trespassing. And invited him and his wife to my July 4 fish fry (crappie). I need to get out tomorrow...but I should work. Christ...what to do??!!

<strong>GOTTA SHROOM. </strong></em>

20. almightymorel

I gotta work tomorrow construction lots of labor but I'm still going tomorrow on some private land where I found some before I just hope it's warm tonight and it's 60 to 70 tomorrow but I think the key is warm nights