Iowa 2016 Morel Mania

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by scrid, Feb 22, 2016.

1. buckthornman

buckthornman Morel Connoisseur

God giving up on living wild! O shit morel apocalypse!!! Maybe you should go to the Wal-Mart and buy some mushrooms? Quit! Never! Get your ass in them woods!!!Bucky

2. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

the Great Morel Blight of 2016 going to claim another victim? naw, just relax and go with the flow, if the morels come to you its a bonus. My last and farthest trip north so far i just went with the idea of enjoying the scenery, finding new spots, no pressure. Did not find much, #1.7 but it was more fun than some trips trying so hard to hit a big load. That 300 you got is pretty good this year. Mother Nature is just giving us a reality check from all the great years. Maybe next year will be another 2003.

3. fun gus

fun gus Morel Connoisseur

Weird year?
    Where are the ticks. Has anyone seen them
    Dryad saddles most plentiful ever.
    Tops of hill best. I've found 5 pounds. Four pounds around two spots with live elms with oak litter
    From 1/3 down slope of any direction to bottom I've found three mushrooms.
    Not hit at all along traditional great areas of forest edge running near roadway.
    Lots of funky orange growth on cedars.
    Finding some huge late season where my early spots hit with 100 2 inch grey I find 1 six inch delicosa
    This week will see how it plays out
    Lilacs in full bloom ground wet and just now climbing above 60
    Wil I find enough to freeze for xmas and share with family/friends or will it stay a bust. Work/play hard for 10 days and enjoy the ride. The ritual and learning experience is 50 years strong for me and every year is worth the 5# to 105# I get

4. chrigs

chrigs Morel Enthusiast

kb, how far north did you make it? what were the conditions?

5. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

KB...I feel fortunate for 300 but a years' dreams promised more. But you're right--this is nature's reprieve. Your perspective grounds us. You have no idea how you shape minds and impel actions here. You inspire me and mant more.

Bucky...get on it. I imagine you as a Bucktornman of destiny who will shred his skin and lay his soul out for the very last chance of success. With an attitude like that you will certainly bleed, feel the pain I feel, and, hopefully, prosper. "Blood brothers"--so many of us are. I hope the recent snow and cold snap didn't mess up the season. You're probably used to that though....hardy hunters. Get 'em!

SWI...good lord, dude. Could it be worse? Can you hang tough and hold onto hope for another week? The southern two tiers on Iowa are all but history now. Give it one last push and move north. Or hell...just call it. And go crappie fishing.

Fun Gus...your observations of nature are spot on and so very instructive. You capture many of my thoughts as a 50+ year hunter. Seems like we both share a tradition--morels fried at Christmas. I have mine ready for 12/25/16

Almighty one...you are hunting in the area of my birth. Keep it up, keep it strong, and keep shining your inspiring light of optimism on us. The season is moving north, and this week should be prime for the US30 counties and above. I'd head that way and commiserate were it not for a trip to Denver to meet and greet a new granddaughter. So consider yourself fortunate that you do not have to follow in my footsteps. LOL..I'm sure I miss a few!

Scrid...you started this. Just like last year you've gone missing again! What's the deal? Thanks for starting this message forum. We've sure enjoyed it, but we want to hear from you...if you are with us. Seems to me you liked to fish too....been too busy with that?

Everyone....I embrace you all...let's forge a community. No voice is too small. Give it up...shout it out. It's okay. Let's win in our love of nature, together.

6. scottcountyshroomer

scottcountyshroomer Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for the pep talk but I was really hoping for more than 2, despite their size. Tiny little dead tree gave them up. Kinda worried the season is all but done. Ground cover is also getting pretty brutal.

7. almightymorel

almightymorel Morel Enthusiast

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  8. almightymorel

Don't give up everybody I found some today This week's gonna be great

9. shroomtrooper

shroomtrooper Morel Connoisseur

Gods back in full force. I have to meet you and bucky with OldElm sometime. The numbers you throw out is pretty good god, for a shitty year. Best I have had in a day was 84 good ones, not small. But small greys are flavorful awesomeness. I cant believe spell check gave me awesomeness.

10. huntergatherer

huntergatherer Morel Connoisseur

[​IMG]

Well folks, it's all over for me for another year, put 4400 miles on the truck, 26 nights in the camper, hunted hard for 15 days,mostly in the sioux city area, wanted to head east and party with shroom god, but the forecast looked bleak so i stayed put, found very few clusters, mostly singles, sat the 23 was my best day with just over 9 pounds, 5 pounds of them huge yellows coming from a single patch of heavy briers 50' by 50' , walked over 14 miles that day to get em, my feet still hurt, found just over 30 pounds total, with most coming from the 22nd to the 26th, other than that most days were an 8 mile hike for a handful, plenty of ticks though, , toward the end the cover was getting too heavy to see much, wanted to stay a few more days, but with biblical rain in the forecast i headed south, drove in snow for a couple hours in New Mexico, saw all 4 seasons in less than a month, kb, trooper, buck, dawg, scrib, swi , shroom god and all the rest of you foragers, thanks for all your input and encouragement, goona miss you guys till next year, hoping you have a second flush, shroom on HG

11. huntergatherer

[​IMG]

12. huntergatherer

[​IMG]

13. huntergatherer

[​IMG]

OK guys, those were the only pics i took, the cost of digital film being what it is, you would think i would take more than that in a month and 4400 miles, but am sure you know how it is, good luck all, HG

14. buckthornman

buckthornman Morel Connoisseur

Nice job hg:) in for lunch! Back into the thorn!!!! Bow down you damn thorns!! Arrrgh!!:) I already look like i,'ve been playing with razorbarb!!

15. almightymorel

Nice Job This weekend should be the end of it :cry:

16. shroomtrooper

shroomtrooper Morel Connoisseur

Wow, I just started and your ending your marathon hunt. Way to go HunterGatherer.

17. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

safe trip home HG, don't know if i am done or not. Minn. and the mountains is about all that's left, been a tough year. Man sounds like you walk like i used to 20 years ago. 8 mile days is about all i can handle anymore in hills. You got me beat so far, most i could run down was just shy of #25. Most of what i picked was in places i normally pick little, my big spots were blah. My best days were pretty much the same as yours, only a hundred or so miles south. My hill spots up by Sioux City were basically without morels.

18. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

crigs, sorry i was sulking. I went as far north as Anthon. After hunting W. Iowa for 2 days and driving close to a 1000 miles I saw no change in any pattern. Half came off of one lightning blasted cottonwood, and most of the others one small elm. Never seen so many morel less elms in my life. Wish i could say going north changed anything but it did not. Is the Big Sioux out? I know it flooded bad last year. Might be some pushed over cottons to check there if its not flooding. The best reports i have had all year are the Mo.R. bottoms and Montana. Dang i hate to quit,but have really only FRi- Sat left. Need to be airdropped in somewhere. ShroomTrooper got a heli?

19. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Buck, i hunt a spot were walking into razor is a reality. the new commander is at least making them clean up a little now. Hard on boots and legs.

20. mushroom_mentor

mushroom_mentor Morel Connoisseur

Still waiting for morels to start popping up in full force in MN. Thinking about going to Iowa this weekend though, or at least S MN. Check out my morel videos, and subscribe if you like us! We'll be making daily videos once morel season takes off. [video]RCWYGSJJ5L8ZM6LSLP9X[/video]