Iowa 2019 Season

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by tommyjosh, Oct 30, 2018.

1. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

hard to describe to the younger folk what it was like to walk up a draw and have an entire line of massive elm that had died off. All loaded with morels. Did not last very long, about 20 years, although some pockets held on until after the turn of the century. Very hard to find those timbers now. I always check new timbers for live elm, as much as dead elm, for the future. Funny I found small greys on maples down here and you have yellows up by 80

5 people like this.
  2. swi shroomer

swi shroomer Morel Connoisseur

KB, back in the ‘60s I loved hearing stories of the bottom pickers and hill hunters out of Pacific Junction (PJ) filling bushel baskets full of morels and hanging on every word of these stories. They were like mythical figures to me (you and your family were/are that type of hunter, I reckon).

One old guy my dad and I went with into the hills around Glenwood was quite the character and fancied himself as a mountain man of sorts. He had a glass eye that kind of spooked me a bit, but it just added to the adventure. And we’d always find gobs with him. Fond memories of those hunts as a kid. Maybe I’ll try to channel some of that good juju for tomorrow.

PS: I’d be remiss not to mention that PJ was basically destroyed by last month’s flooding. Such a tragedy for them and so many others.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019

3. Carl

Carl Morel Enthusiast

Nice find!!! do you know if Yellow Banks Park in Des Moine is good ??

4. fun gus

fun gus Morel Connoisseur

After reading these posts, I learned that lots of our Iowa folks on this site are oldsters. I’m 58 and my first memories of hunting is being a five year old and being given two large paper grocery bags to fill with morels. We went into the woods with four of us. The goal was to stop at one bath tub full. I had no sense of time, but I remember filling both bags while my family filled their bags.
    We went home and would rinse in the sink and soak in the tub. There's a family picture that was lost in my grandmas stuff.
    Only had one haul like that since about 1969, in 1993 a buddy and me found a place where beaver felled cottonwood. We filled the six bags we had, made bags out our jackets in 30 minutes, walked back to the truck to drop the load and refilled a second time in an hour. My haul was 26 pounds in ninety minutes.
    Now that I’m getting old, my eyes take longer to get acclimated to the forest floor and walking endless miles takes effort. Now I get 50 pounds a year and stop looking.
    IMO it’s tougher to get my goal in central Iowa lately more because of the weather than my aging body. I might be falling apart, but still know how to find them and have the spidey man sense.
    This year follows the new normal. I am over two inches below normal rain for April in my location. This has happened five of the last six years in Des Moines. With adequate rain, it’s typical to get 10# of little grays in week one, 20# week two and an easy 20# week three with easy opportunities to go for more. The bad timing of rain the last few years means a couple pounds week one, five pounds week two unless I find the honey hole, then salvage the season with a forty # week three.
    The season started on the 18th, so getting close to the end of week two. Yesterday soil temp was 57, this cold snap wont stop the growth. With the good rain and more to come plus no heatwave, I’m ready for my killer week three again.
    Any who, putting on a set of long johns now and this old guy is going out to bring some home to set up my first batch for Christmas time.

5. Cam

Cam Morel Enthusiast

went out this morning for a bit, small greys all frozen. all on southside facing hill. Still very hopeful for a good season, good luck guys

SEIowacker likes this.
  6. SEIowacker

SEIowacker Morel Enthusiast

My daughter found 4 lbs yesterday so the rain is helping.The wife and i will get out sometime this coming week when the rains stop.
    shroom god looks like you done good and sounds like you earned em.The same type of woods we find em in,multiflower rose an blackberry and stuffed full of brush.My wife dosnt like hunting it but thats were we find the early ones.
    Yep fellers were getting old,the hills get bigger and the woods thicker and the days get shorter.We have the comfort of knowing that when the day comes that we just cant do it anymore that our kids will be out there finding them shrooms and sharing a mess with us.
    We are still eating last years finds but they are about gone.
    Hope all have good luck this year.

4 people like this.
  7. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

nice to hear from all of you that were raised with morel hunting as a family tradition. I left a Mcdonald's i had stopped at to grab some grub on my drive back home yesterday. Almost everyone was staring at a phone. I thought what a waste. I had just spent 3 hours walking through a wonderful spring timber and I am not sure the next generation of kids will ever find enjoyment without it being electronic. The few that do are really living life in my opinion. I agree the rain patterns have gone screwy, but on the other hand if a person is willing to do some driving, with a little luck you can hit a spot like Oklahoma this year and fill boxes. I wish I could have looked at a radar 30 years ago before I went to some spot that was to dry. This is my last season in my 50's so I sure hope the rain flushes some spots. Good luck all, I live in Mo., but a lot of my Morel Heart is in the state of Iowa.

8. 515IdiotOutWandrnAround

515IdiotOutWandrnAround Morel Enthusiast

I'm fairly new to mushroom hunting. My family did things like see museums and read... Any of you guys live in northwest central?

9. MrBrowning

MrBrowning Young Morel

On this fine Sunday evening. 989FE315-7333-4117-9302-3F434AEE8495.jpeg

SEIowacker, Cam, Inthewild and 5 others like this.
  10. shroomdawg

shroomdawg Morel Connoisseur

I’ve fished, hunted, played music, worked on the railroad and have never encountered folks like shroom hunters....truly a different breed....most are very good people.

11. bloomer

bloomer Morel Enthusiast

You know, I’ve never been there but often glanced over to the east from hwy65 wondering about it. Not sure of the make-up of the trees. I tried to look that info up online, but the old fashion way of just going out for a walk sounds like it’ll probably be your best bet. Just don’t disturb any of those ancient American Indian burial grounds.

12. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

Go get 'em gus! It's shaping up to be a decent year in east central part of the state. We've got some pretty distinct "zones" this year. Never seen it quite so starkly different from one part to another. Hope you hit the lode!

13. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

Until today, I'd saved a spot that has never failed in nearly 25 years. This afternoon I took a couple grand kids there. It's a 3-minute walk, and the shrooms grow right on the edge of the woods, many among a sumac thicket, on a mossy, east-facing slope. Live pin oaks are dominant, but there are also some younger dead elms. For some reason those tend to produce around here. The girl, now 5 and a half, was more interested in flowers. I'd taken her there when she was 2 and she was all into it. This time, after picking one, she wanted nothing to do with the rest of the "slimy" shrooms. The boy, soon to be 4, was a veritable timber rat. He followed me into the timber, tripped over a branch and fell, bawled for a moment, but afterward showed some instinct and skill in navigating. Although he couldn't actually find them, he eagerly picked (and in his excitement managed to step on a couple). After 30 minutes we called it a day, with 30 mostly large grays to show for it. And memories, of course.

14. warchief

warchief Morel Enthusiast

Checked one of my good spots in the Loess hills Friday afternoon, it appeared to be pretty dry yet. Checked the Missouri river bottoms Monday evening and still have had no luck. I’m am patiently awaiting the arrival of the morels in my neck of the woods. Hopefully the conditions are right the next few weeks

15. jedoyle

jedoyle Young Morel

Wow, I figured after all the rain we have received the past 2 days I would be hearing about lots of reports in the Cedar Rapids area but this board is pretty quiet right now. We thinking maybe this weekend?

16. mushyal

mushyal Morel Enthusiast

Starting to get better in Dallas County. Found 23 small ones today, with a few medium yellows.

1 person likes this.
  17. Shhhroom Doom

Shhhroom Doom Morel Enthusiast

Des Moines county today, they are starting to get bigger! 20190501_105600.jpg

Attached Files:

Inthewild and (deleted member) like this.
  18. bloomer

bloomer Morel Enthusiast

North of Des Moines today, 3-4” greys all super fresh. 2 lbs maybe? A few pheasant backs too!!

Attached Files:

Inthewild and (deleted member) like this.
  19. fun gus

fun gus Morel Connoisseur

My best day but ground soil temp is 49 and fifth day in a row below 53. SG “zonal” theory for the year has been true for me this year, too. Got over three pounds in two hours after work, but in two areas completely different. One high area right by the road was a onesie bonanza of two inch gray and a few yellows in cottonwood, and the other spot was lower western slope with elm limb clutter but no dying elm and nice clusters of three inch grays. I’ve only had two other of my go to spots hit great this year, otherwise it’s just been hit or miss. The rain we have been getting and what’s coming plus cool soil temps will give us a great next ten days as we heat up but stay below the 80s.

1 person likes this.
  20. Cassy Jo

Cassy Jo Young Morel

seiowa.