Iowa 2019 Season

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by tommyjosh, Oct 30, 2018.

1. SEIowacker

SEIowacker Morel Enthusiast

Washington county,the same spots we found 17 little grays last week had 7 lbs of yellow an gray mix today.Another week or so an were gonna have to get more serious about looken:)

Cassy Jo and Shhhroom Doom like this.
  2. Cassy Jo

Cassy Jo Young Morel

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.

3. Cassy Jo

Cassy Jo Young Morel

can you tell me if this a grey or yellow...

4. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

fun gus is in da house! You're doing well, laddie--3 pounds in 2 hours is the stuff dreams are made of, for me at least!

1 person likes this.
  5. shroom god

5-2-19 shrooms.jpg

They keep coming, 3 pounds or so today, Washington-Johnson County line. All slopes are producing, even northeast. All under elms, the bigger the better. Conditions are perfect--moderate temps, moist, overcast, and no wind. Next week looks great. How long can it last? Arms are shredded like I've tangled with a bobcat; legs look like I have chicken pox. It took 3 dark ales to numb my pain. At this rate I'll need knee and hip replacements, but I have fungus in the freezer!

6. shroom god

Well that's a yellow, morchella esculenta!

7. fun gus

fun gus Morel Connoisseur

It’s a morchella esculenta. It’s sort of misleading. Gray white and yellows in Iowa are all the same species. Grey is early season, white are prevalent in really wet mid season years and yellows are the last half season. The taste of greys is a little stronger but they tend to be smaller. I tend to horde the greys and freeze the big greys then start giving away the yellows(as well as eat and freeze.
    Anyway that photo looks like a yellow with a tinge of grey. Basically saying the season is at the half way mark.

3 people like this.
  8. fun gus

fun gus Morel Connoisseur

Iowa city ish is having a super good year and glad you’re doing great! Memories of the conquest can be counted by the poundage, the battle scars and the the joy of being a primal forager even though you have a super computer in your pocket.
    Cheers to the celebration of a few ales and a few greys and another year of being able to keeping the the bones creaking forward!

1 person likes this.
  9. shroom god

SANDY SHROOMS... To the bottom hunters here, any tips on how to best clean those to remove the grit?

My daughter and her homies got into a mess on sandy bottoms. I tend to hunt upland hardwood, so other than "wash the living hell out of then and spray the pits as best you can," I didn't have much advice.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2 people like this.
  10. shroom god

This is the first year I've taken my supercomputer to the woods. In past years I've left it and other accoutrements of civilization behind as part of a conscious effort to go feral over a 2-week period. While mostly successful, it was extremely challenging readjusting to work and social interaction when my vacation ended. This year I struggle mightily with a contest between civilization and the primal pull. I fear civilization is winning, and that troubles me. 175 years ago, Thoreau contended with the same dynamic. I've considered a 21st century redux of that experiment.

2 people like this.
  11. SEIowacker

Only time i had problems with river bottom shrooms is when i picked 7 or 8 yellows out of a solid bar of sand that went through the woods like a vain from the flooding.Id never seen them growing out of a sand bar before.Cleaned and cooked as always before.One bite and i had a mouthful of sand and shroom.Spit it out and tossed em.
    I tell the kids if you ever find em in a sand bar to leave em for seed.Other than them few i have never noticed them being any different from ones taken on the hills
    My son and i took 70 lbs out of the bottoms one day and had to stop because we just didnt have no place to put em and the next weekend my wife and i took 50lbs out and they were all spread out betweeen a lot of people for eating,none have ever said anything about sand in the shrooms and ever year they want more.
    That one time is the only time i have seen em grow right up out of sand like that.

3 people like this.
  12. morelmaniacmn

morelmaniacmn Morel Connoisseur

Yeah sandy shrooms are tough to deal with. I've soaked them in a large, deep bowl and you shake them vigorously in the water. It seems to get most out. Also, if you don't scrape the side of the pan, a lot of the sand will collect there from stirring and stick to the sides. But still, it's nearly impossible to get it all.

1 person likes this.
  13. shroom god

That's pretty remarkable SEIa. I bet that was quite a sight. They found them in sandy black soil, somewhere down by Keosaqua. Not many, 125 or so, but apparently the few they fried up were a bit gritty. As you indicate, it can't be that bad, right?

14. shroom god

Those are all great tips, morelmania. I'll pass that wisdom along. I reckon you're in central MN, right? It's been good here in east-central IA. Another week to 10 days left, I think. Sounds like it's just starting up there in a few places. Hope you bring 'em home!

15. morelmaniacmn

morelmaniacmn Morel Connoisseur

Yeah I hunt primarily mid-central MN. The frost just barely left the ground LOL. 4" ground temps are about 37 -38.

1 person likes this.
  16. SEIowacker

I took a peek in the river bottom,dont look good,real bad.Nuthin but water and mud and trees.There isnt any weeds even growing in most places.Dont have much hope for shrooms there this year.If i want anymore it looks like im gonna be in the hills of thorns again.
    My daughter found 5 lbs today in that thorn patch.Im gonna have to earn em the hard way this year.

2 people like this.
  17. mushyal

mushyal Morel Enthusiast

Hey, shroom god! We've had pretty good luck by soaking them first for maybe an hour, and then spraying them. The pre-soak before spraying really helps. Hope it helps.

18. shroomdawg

shroomdawg Morel Connoisseur

When the dark ale ain’t cutting it you can always crack open the Wild Turkey 101....basically rhumatiz medicine.

I’ve been fightin a heel spur or plantar frickmesillie this season and to make shroomin really tough I jack my back up jumpin creeks and what not.

Anyhoot, looks like y’all are startin to find some decent numbers, heading north towards the MO/IA line in the AM. I’m gonna get up extra early so I can stay one shroom stomp ahead of kb, the baw is not a quitter. ;)

1 person likes this.
  19. shroomdawg

shroomdawg Morel Connoisseur

We checked our MO river bottom spots two weeks ago and wrote them off this year, that really cut down on the potential for a big haul too!

Now we’re scramblin trying find some new spots to make up for the bottom shrooms that we didn’t get to pick this year.... I guess we’ll hit the hills a little harder this year and seriously havta earn them shrooms.

20. swi shroomer

swi shroomer Morel Connoisseur

A disappointing season on the Hwy 34 latitude in the hills of western Iowa. Maybe other folks are doing good in this area but I somehow doubt it’s a stellar year for most. Just too inconsistent weather-wise and not enough timely rain where I look. I could be wrong, but I think my season is lost even if the rains come soon. I’ve found a few but nothing exciting. Gonna maybe try again Monday.

1 person likes this.