Iowa 2019 Season

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by tommyjosh, Oct 30, 2018.

1. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

I would agree with you SW, it was real dry from me up along W. Iowa most of the first part of April, I have not found a real loaded spot in any of the hills yet. Plenty to eat, just no boxes filled. Good luck Dawg, I have not been north of Mound City on 29 so they are all yours. I am headed NE tomorrow.

3 people like this.
  2. bloomer

bloomer Morel Enthusiast

33E9CB1F-0124-458B-903B-3103042FC099.png C14D5F5F-3A9D-45EF-90FA-5E056865BEEE.jpeg
    5.5 lbs found in central Iowa today.
    Had no luck in the bottoms. It sure looked good but no luck.
    Everything that was found was spread out over about half the size of a football field with scattered 6-12” elms everywhere, all living.

3. greys

greys Morel Enthusiast

I Hope your wrong here, I have been planning to head south today to lead big hunt a bit north of highway 34... Well see how it goes. I do agree things are starting to wind down. North of 10 lbs for the year, best day so far was 3lbs. Starting to find alot of moldy spores... Need to see some sun. In fact this season i haven't seen the sun out hunting much at all, and when there is no sun it always makes it a bit harder to get your bearing's and know what hill's your on. Hopefully you have some better luck come monday. - Nice lode Bloomer! :) get em all before the weekend warriors!

2 people like this.
  4. fun gus

fun gus Morel Connoisseur

swi. Your soil temp was in the 40s on Wednesday and just got back to 53. I’m in Des Moines and the soil is a few days ahead of yours. It had been really sparse with a few pockets of decent spots until Tuesday and now all is good. My lilacs finally opened Tuesday and I bet your lilacs have opened today but the buds are small. I’d say this afternoon you’ll find fresh pops and more tomorrow and this weeks rain will give a stellar week. Keep the faith brother you’ll end up with a later than average year but you’ve got 10-14 days of great picking ahead!

4 people like this.
  5. bloomer

bloomer Morel Enthusiast

43CEAE7D-C398-4E24-95F8-8DEA26CFD929.jpeg
    I know it’s off subject, but, anyone have an idea what this is?
    About 8 inches across, thin “cap” and very delicate.

1 person likes this.
  6. AIM

AIM Morel Connoisseur

1 person likes this.
  7. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

lets hope fun gus is right.

2 people like this.
  8. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

Unlike some people who have a navel fixation, I don't have a tendency to check my belly button regularly. Oh, every couple days or so my finger will find its way there by virtue of showering or random fidgeting. So it was today, midway through our garage sale that my wandering finger found its way there. Of course, this damned sale would have to happen at the very apex of the season, right? But I digress...

So it was. And during a lull in business I unconsciously but I hope discreetly set forth to de-lint my belly button. I should mention that my belly button was "restored" recently as a result of what turned out to be a very painful surgery for a herniated navel. Consequently, I'm rather proud of it and still getting used to having one again. But that's a separate matter...

As my finger swirled inside the small orifice, I immediately felt something hard. My first instinct was that it was a post-surgery matter. That thought suddenly gave way to a somewhat more grim concern. Upon closer investigation my fear was confirmed; I had a damned TICK in there!

Across the years and over the course of my neo-primordial roving and frequent feral urges, my wife has endured a great deal. I am thankful for this. After all, on the balance I am somewhat crude or primitive ("impolite"?) company compared to what she otherwise might be enjoying. I never dreamed that she would be so resolutely faithful and loving as when I approached her with tweezers and asked that she extract that bastard from my belly button! She even went an extra mile and treated me with peroxide.

So to everyone here--check your belly buttons right NOW! And whatever the case may be, make sure to fry a special skillet of your finest grays for whoever checks you for ticks!

(BTW--this is a first. First tick of the year for me, and first-ever in that location!)

5 people like this.
  9. shroom god

If it's the large, fleshy, dark orange one, I believe that's gyromitra and is mildly toxic (vomiting). Back in the mid-70s a family friend actually fried and ate a couple and blew groceries shortly afterward. When I was out Thursday it seemed that I encountered more of those than normal. The thought occurred to me that if gyromitra were edible I'd be eating like a king!

AIM and (deleted member) like this.
  10. shroom god

That sounds like a whole ton of fun, bloomer. Assuming they were on a slope; facing what direction? A couple folks from north-central MO stopped in here today during our garage sale. After considerable arm-twisting, they ended up taking 4 Xerox boxes of 1970s "vintage" Avons still new-in-box. I practically had to pay THEM to take it all, but I managed $5 for the lot. We all had a good laugh about their Corolla smelling like Wild Country after shave for EVER after this. They may need oxygen before they get back home. Anyway, we go to talking about shrooming and the woman piped right in and said they were so scarce where they were that they were selling for $65 a pound. I can't hardly believe that, but they seemed like pretty straight shooters. Nice haul!

11. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

fun gus, what site do you use for ground temps? One I was looking at was showing way high ground temps all the way up the west side of Iowa. I usually don't think to look at something like that so I defer to you for a more accurate map. shroom god, I believe the folks from NC Mo on the prices. The Amish in particular charge high prices. But it is supply and demand in our great capitalist economy that rules. I always had pocket money as a kid from selling shrooms, $1.25 was the whole sale rate then, in about 1970. It's as much as $30 now in bulk. I gave some of my haul on Wed. to an old dude I saw in the parking lot who had none, then I realized as I drove away that I am an old dude too.

12. swi shroomer

swi shroomer Morel Connoisseur

Good luck Greys. I bet you have a good hunt.

1 person likes this.
  13. swi shroomer

swi shroomer Morel Connoisseur

Thanks Fun Gus. Good info.

14. morelmaniacmn

morelmaniacmn Morel Connoisseur

15. fun gus

This is the most accurate soil temp in Iowa
    http://extension.agron.iastate.edu/NPKnowledge/soiltemphistory.html

1 person likes this.
  16. fun gus

Any one finding golden oysters this year?
    Never saw any until last year, but I could have picked 100’s of pounds by mid morel season.
    Was it a fluke?
    They are right up there in the tastiness quotient, I was hoping to harvest 20 pounds or so because they freeze pretty nicely

17. greys

greys Morel Enthusiast

I agree gus that is the go to site. But the problem is it only shows last 3 days. So the last several years I write down temp so i can see the year as a whole to get a idea as to where we are at. 4th time going above 53.6 for the year. @swi shroomer Thanks bud, It was so much i am going back again today. Man what a thrill finding them big ol fresh greys out there! I was tired until i started finding them, at which point i felt i could have ran an entire marathon! @shroom god Yes, you better believe they been going for it. Infact last several years ive been getting 60 a LB for em. Don't get me wrong, i love some big frys, but the fact is after 6 hours plus of hunting each day, am just to damn tired to cook them things. I already checked the belly button after reading that LOL. I pulled 3 off me belly yesterday, they were still walking, hadn't grabbed a hold yet. Worst year for deer ticks that i can recall. Also, I am going to start washing the morels off outside, Got up this morning to see a few roaches in the bottom of the sink drain, with the reminant's of yesterdays catch. Hope everyone has a very productive hunt. ~ Cheers

1 person likes this.
  18. fun gus

Greys check out this link
    https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/timemachine/#57.201905030000
    Super cool archived soil temps that saves the data from the Iowa ag extension three day soil report. It archives daily soil temps going back as far as you want

1 person likes this.
  19. greys

greys Morel Enthusiast

Now that's a cool toy! Think ill continue to keep my own records, but that is now bookmarked!

20. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Picked about 1.5 lbs in SW. Iowa today. All medium to large and all on north slopes. Nice shrooms but nothing small and new within the last few days. Nothing to speak of on the other slopes good. Weird year. Still think it was to dry, to long, the first three weeks of April. That is why I always want rain. People I trust say the same problem north of Omaha. Pretty much have to get to Sioux City to get more normal rain. Sucks because I love hunting the Loess Hills. Oh well, Mother Nature holds all the cards in the Game of Morels.

3 people like this.