Iowa 2019 Season

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by tommyjosh, Oct 30, 2018.

1. swi shroomer

swi shroomer Morel Connoisseur

I think your observations are right on target, as usual. Nice, nice rain here this afternoon and this evening. Would have been better 2-3 weeks ago, of course. Good luck to all.

2 people like this.
  2. greys

greys Morel Enthusiast

I wouldn't give up just yet bud's. The fat lady only sings when you say so. Southern iowa is going better than okay today and the last three. Fresh pop on southern and south western. Mostly yellers their. North has some nice big greys. Did the math tonight and am at 16.8 lbs for the year. ( watch out for deer ticks, they are bad this year ) Around 80 hours hunted since the 16th when they first popped. Need to slow down and use your stick to move the branches. Top of hills or near top, All directions. Take your time and make sure you are actually hunting the area your hunting, and not just passing though. Have been far more mentally tired after each hunt that physically. They are out their, far and few in between but if your willing to put in hours and hours and miles and miles you may do okay. May the fungus be with you!!

3. mushroommadman

mushroommadman Morel Enthusiast

Afraid Southern Iowa is not going to be all that great. Hunted all day Monday and came out with just 6#. Lots of walking and ticks. I was here at the same place a week ago and things looked to early and found little fresh ones. Thought this week would be great. Wrong! Should have been here a few days ago some were on the way out. The signs are there, there ought to be lots of mushrooms. I agree Kb, it's a weird year. That seems to be the norm every year anymore. Everything has progressed way to fast it seems. As bad as I don't want to give up for the year, I'm really thinking this may be it for me.

2 people like this.
  4. fun gus

fun gus Morel Connoisseur

Des Moines had a rain front pass to the north and pass to the south with jus 0.2 inch rain. Down three inches since 4/1. I was hoping the rain would bring a great flush. Yesterday I got 12 in 1.5 hours. I’m having a bad year and thought wtf, my areas still have been popping grey with a few yellows so I went today and got a heavy 3 pounds in two hours. Traveling to lower third with 2-3inch greys and yellows up high. Found my first four inch fatty- but it was on high ground North isn’t close yet. Man if the rain comes tonight like they say, there’s still another 5-7 days. I’m at 37# for the year, so lower than average and exactly at the three week mark so the last push will make this a rare four week season. Unusual to have no days in the 80’s for a month, so the soil and foliage are within the sweet spot. I saw posts of monster yellows in Polk county. I feel like I’m in The twilight zone because the season is in slow motion for me but winding down for others? Anyway I look at it, I think there’s enough season for me to hit my 50# minimum goal.

3 people like this.
  5. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

SW, it hurts to think another sub par hills year is all we get again. If we would have had this rain like you said we would have all the pictures. It is 2 years in a row now that I have failed to fill any boxes in the Hills. I am not sure that has happened before in this century. Madman after that haul you got in Mo., if you say they ain't there in boxes, I believe it. I had a real good picker buddy up there and he said the same thing, looked good but not much. He was hitting elms and getting nothing. I should have headed east for the river birch or your maples a week or more ago. I think things will be better north of HWY 20, or at least they had more consistent rain. But if I would have had that haul you had, doing #6 seems like not worth it, so if you pack it in I would not blame you.

2 people like this.
  6. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

fun gus, I have been hunting in either the Twilight Zone or the Outer Limits all season it seems. The lack of rain really killed many of my best spots, and we had to many dry 80 days.

7. swi shroomer

8. swi shroomer

Fresh one, perfect looking but few and far between. Rained yesterday, rained today, gonna rain tomorrow. Gonna do another sweep Friday. Gettin late.

2 people like this.
  9. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

10. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

nice bowl of color their SG. I really love that tight gilled grey you put in the front there. Morels are just amazing. Wonder how big that grey would have swelled? Would he\she have stayed grey, or turned? Glad you are having a good year. It's not that I have not found plenty to eat, I just love to hunt\pick the darn things. Nothing better to look at than a box full of morels . My best spots are not the best this year so far.

3 people like this.
  11. shroom god

Good eye, kb. You noticed that. LOL...there were actually quite a few fresh grays today but that one was spectacular. I wasn't expecting tight-gilled grays at this point. This has been a s l o w motion season. Not complaining! These all came from public land. Can't hardly believe it hadn't been trampled. Best wishes for your season turning on. We got another week...cool temps...and rain.

4 people like this.
  12. swi shroomer

Very nice. I’m hoping for a late run, get some big yellers maybe.

13. Shhhroom Doom

Shhhroom Doom Morel Enthusiast

20190508_155425.jpg 122 today, in Scott County. Might be two young bigfoots up on the top row? Thank you God!

14. fun gus

Iowa

15. fun gus

Rain and warmth has been good. 3.5# in less than two hours. I’m getting off at one tomorrow so I can get more time in. Popping in upland at tree lines, West face hills and lower lands. That’s pretty much every where I went. Still about half are gray. More rain and cooler weather they will come through the weekend at least. Yay!

1 person likes this.
  16. shroom god

JAR.jpg

When I acquired the old, 2-quart GLOBE jar in the late 1970s, it held canned apples. The jar dated circa 1885-1890. Its contents were dark brown from age. Who knows how long they’d been sealed inside?

I dumped the apples, cleaned it up, and displayed it within my growing collection of 19th century bottles. But it just didn’t fit in with Dr. Von Hopf’s Curaco Bitters, Healy & Bigelow’s Indian Sagwa, Primley’s Iron and Wahoo Tonic, Dr. Miles Restorative Nervine, and many others. That jar needed a different purpose. That is how it became my mushroom jar.

In 1980 I sun-dried morels for the first time. It was a success, and a few of those went into the jar. The following year rain spoiled my effort, and ever since then it has been an indoor project. No fancy dehydrator is involved. I simply lay them out on newspaper, direct the breeze of a fan on them, and turn them 3 or 4 times. Over 2-3 days they dry perfectly.

Over the years, and every year since 1980, a few have gone into the mushroom jar: the early tight-gilled grays from a late-season foray in deep woods one year…a few more from a time I went with a friend after working the midnight shift at the steel mill in Wilton (we had morning shots at the Wooden Nickel and he passed out in a pasture, full bag at his side)…a few from the places I found around Peterson and Linn Grove in NW Iowa when a student at Buena Vista…two from Udhampur, India…others from Boone County, Missouri when I was at Mizzou…some from the St. Louis area…a handful from when I took my father to my spot and we found so many that he fell to his knees and giggled, “oh my god they are everywhere!”…some from Clinton and Fulton, IL, Red Rock, Thomas Mitchell Park (before they “improved” it), Saylorville Reservoir, Lake Iowa…half the counties in Iowa…some commemorating outings with each of my daughters and no grandchildren…and others that, for one reason or another, were simply selected, dried, and found their way into the jar.

The aroma inside the near-full jar is indescribably amazing, rich and earthy, somewhat like a sweet licorice, intoxicating, and simply unlike anything else. I smell of it occasionally, and it never fades. Each time I open it, it evokes the ages. Perhaps this is what the essence of time smells like.

To any other person it is merely a jar filled with old, hard mushrooms. Indeed, it is that; and so much more: a jar filled with memories. I’ll put a few in this year, but the jar is near-full. That troubles me, but I refuse to deem it an omen.

It took 39 years to fill that jar, but I have another, its twin, which also held canned apples. Next season I will be 60, but I intend to eventually fill it. At the current rate, that will take me to 99. Then I’ll need another jar.

17. AIM

AIM Morel Connoisseur

Hell yeah. Cheers!

18. CXV1980

CXV1980 Young Morel

This is what I found Monday after checking public hunting grounds all day all found in same spot pretty dry so I'm assuming they really have not started to show up yet.

19. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

I agree with your description of the experience.

20. Shhhroom Doom

Shhhroom Doom Morel Enthusiast

61 today, thank you God! Had someone who'd beat me to them before 7 am. I seen her... she even cut the little babies that I'd left to grow from two days ago....wow.... 20190509_123023.jpg

2 people like this.