Iowa 2019 Season

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by tommyjosh, Oct 30, 2018.

1. huntergatherer

huntergatherer Morel Connoisseur

Just returned from my annual trip up your way, drove 4000 miles, gone 3 weeks, hit snow coming and going, hunted hard for 12 days, mostly in the Sioux City area, strange year, was afraid i arrived too early, but now i am not so sure, rainy and cool most days, never really got a nice warm sunny day, was going to stay longer, but the forecasts were heavy rain and highs in the 40/s and low 50/s for several days out, so i split, walked around a hundred miles, biked another 50, found just under 30 pounds, i fear i'm getting too old for this, but more than likely, come next spring, i'll be raring to go, once again, thanks to all your posts that help in figuring when i should head up your way, see you all next years hopefully

2. Shhhroom Doom

Shhhroom Doom Morel Enthusiast

Even with our mild temperatures and rain, things are drying up, and the undergrowth is getting tall. Not much time to hunt today, so just found a lil snack of a bloom on a nearby east facing ridge. Looks like I'll be heading to more Northern counties now. Thank you God. 20190513_133620.jpg

1 person likes this.

3. fun gus

fun gus Morel Connoisseur

Still popping ok. Hour twenty five minutes. Found 32 but weighed 2.4 pounds. Most in west face about 2/3 down in an area I’ve been picking 40 years and by far the biggest. Some nice gray meaty light bulbs and bigger yellows. 31 pounds since Thursday in seventeen hours picking. I was worried this was to be a dry bad year, but hey I’ll take a nice week. Lilacs are now full bloom and the sweet spot is getting lower so the hot weather will probably make a nice last flush and wind down this weekend. Found a nice area of baby golden oysters and giving them until Sunday to grow. Can’t wait. They are pretty tasty, too

4. Snooki

Snooki Morel Enthusiast

shroomG. you are always amusing, loved the story about the belly button tick! Lots of ticks today but not so many shrooms!Getting really sick of all the junk on this site! I thought I lived in America and not wanting to learn to read Japanese or Chinese!

3 people like this.
  5. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

Ohhh, but Snooki, you MUST learn Chinese! There is often more than meets the eye. What appears to be a massive Mandarin sabotage of the mushroom site is actually a full-throated plea for morels to meet the demand of Chinese apothecaries, herbalists, and homeopaths! In possession of this knowledge--and having sold and sent several pounds of morels worth more than their weight in gold--I am now awaiting a "cheque" which I will use to purchase a two-acre ocean view plot in the Seychelles Islands. My hope is that it arrives sooner than the long-awaited dividend I am still expecting from a Nigerian prince. I'll keep you posted. Meanwhile, send your shrooms to me and I'll be certain you get in on the Seychelles action!

2 people like this.
  6. shroom god

Hey Fun Gus, I think I encountered those the other day growing out of the side of a half-rotting log...bright yellowish bracket-like and growing in profusion on the side of the log. I wondered what they were. Should have taken a pic. Does that sound like what you're talking about?

1 person likes this.
  7. shroom god

hunter...O M G that's an epic trip. I think I recall a convo we had about shrooming sticks, right? Is it you who made me aware of cactus sticks? Next spring we should coordinate. At any rate, I admire your extreme pursuit and good success. Hats off!

8. Snooki

Snooki Morel Enthusiast

LOL! Everyone's a comedian!

9. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Good Morning Iowa..Wade here..
    i cleaned up the spam last night..
    hope it looks good again
    Thank You

10. fun gus

2 people like this.
  11. fun gus

They grow on stumps mostly and just coming into season. This pic doesn’t show the white trumpet gills. Post a picture of the side and bottom. Fairly prevalent and worth picking.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  12. Shhhroom Doom

Shhhroom Doom Morel Enthusiast

@fun gus I found some babies too. One log, was laying right on top of another, with a flush of them struggling to grow, out from under it. About 6 more bloom sights, lower, on the same, bottom log. Hope it's not the same flush, lol!
    I just want to state that these babies are not always right by the ground! I have found huge blooms of them, 10' up, on dead trees that are held up from completely falling to the ground, by other trees. Just a tip, hope it helps someone. =)

2 people like this.
  13. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Shroom god: Wait! Wait! I'll give you twice the price of gold for your Morels.

Let's see, that would be around $2,000 per ounce. Send me 10 lbs for $320,000.

I'm sending you a Million Dollar Bill for them.
    Million US Dollars.jpg

When you get it, send the change to my bank account number which will follow.

LoL!

2 people like this.
  14. huntergatherer

huntergatherer Morel Connoisseur

SG, yep, that was me, we have been going to get together for a couple of years, just never got around to it , maybe next year, happy shrooming, HG

15. greys

greys Morel Enthusiast

Hey, Don't mock him... It's not everyday the prince of nigeria personally ask's for your help!! ;-P

16. shroom god

________
    Ohhhh noooo! Wade! Dude, what on earth have you done?!! I already reinvested my entire 401k as down payment on the Seychelles plot. I'm still awaiting that cheque from the Chinese to capitalize this investment! You've hosed me. Now I've got to deal with SB and his million dollar bills...word has it that he's shadier than a century-old elm. But...hmmm...maybe there's a "venture capital" option....does anyone want to invest in a morel farming venture in the Seychelles Islands?? $100,000 and you're in at 10%. Hit me up!

2 people like this.
  17. shroom god

Let's do it. Message me and we'll set it up. Just a guess, but I'm thinking April 25-May 10 should be in the zone somewhere here, whether N,S,E, or W next year. Sounds like you were a couple weeks early. Did you use your cactus core stick up here? Sticks are so important but seemingly neglected as a topic. With a stick like that I'd think the shrooms would be jumping into your bag! I'm heading up north this Friday for a few days, then I'm done. It's been an uncharacteristically long season. My stick is tired. A friend in southern Iowa found his first on April 17 down around Keokuk. I found my first on 4/23, about 70 miles north of there, in southern Johnson Co. On 5/11 I found a couple pounds in Mahaska County. And things are still happening north of here. Conditions have prolonged the season far and wide and preserved what has sprung, and have been optimal across most of the counties in the middle tier from about Dallas/Polk-eastward.

18. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Man @shroom god ..you are so uptight
    and panicky.. decompress Man before you blow a 50 amp fuse !.. "Stones"
    start by breathing, remember breathing?
    the try to smile and laugh..
    do you remember laughter "Zeppelin"
    then maybe work in a bit of sarcasm into your postings here and there..

2 people like this.
  19. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Sorry SG, I'm already all in on a new, green deal, Morel Super Farm in the Orkney's. Since you don't want my competition how bout you buy me out? No million dollar Zimbabwean bills for me though, I want payment in good old grey morels. In Zim dollars that would be about 3 large greys, or even that one in that picture. I have not found a grey that looked like that all year, which tells you what a screwy year it has been my way. Glad to see what a good year you guys are having over that way. Sometimes its not the quantity picked as much as the quality of the hunt that is important. I have to remind myself of that in years like this. I may have one more go at NW Iowa if for no other reason than to enjoy finding a new spot for next year.

3 people like this.
  20. shroom god

______
    It's even worse than you imagine, Wade. I got to thinking, "Hey, since Wade purged the Chinese connection, maybe I could yin the yang by ordering Chinese and (hopefully) get a good fortune. Alas, I just cracked the cookie and guess what? THERE IS NO FORTUNE. Just when a person wants an authentic Chinese product, I look on the wrapper and discover that the thing is made by Bailey International Inc. in National City, IL!

3 people like this.