Iowa 2019 Season

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by tommyjosh, Oct 30, 2018.

1. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The Universe is Weird ...
    so we all fit into it Rather Nicely...

1 person likes this.
  2. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

Man, KB, I just gave away a bag of about 30 of the nicest, tight-gilled, 4-inch grays you can imagine. I could've owned the farm and the Orkney's themselves! Since I'm now grayless (notwithstanding hair), I'll need to get out for one final forage...thinking Maquoketa River area in Jones & Jackson Counties. If you're anywhere near Peterson, check out the Little Sioux River valley up there. So if I get your farm and the Mushroom Institute in Udhampur, India, I'll corner the market. Know any good yachts for sale?

1 person likes this.

3. Snooki

Snooki Morel Enthusiast

You boys- always talking about your sticks!

4. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

SG, I have a top of the line, 102 River,Flat bottom, luxury mushroom picking jon boat, with all the fancy stuff, like a motor and oars just in case. All yours for only 1 billion in Zim dollars or just 1 bag of greys.

5. Danny Hernandez

Danny Hernandez Morel Enthusiast

May be the weekend in Western Iowa for areas surrounded and shaded by Cedars. From what I found last weekend, I think it may actually surprise some people on how many fresh morels will still be found, but may have to dig in the shade a bit more with the upcoming temperatures.

Get them before the monsoon ensues!

6. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Dan my man, Good to see someone has not given up in W. Iowa. So have you had luck on cedar up there in the past? I have picked on cedar in Kan. and they do well in Ok., I can't think of ever picking on cedar in Iowa. Were you north of S.C. or below it last weekend. It's a long drive for me from Mo., but I sure hate to quit. I found nothing really big last Sat. so I was hoping to get back that way this weekend. Any info. you have would be greatly appreciated and returned as needed.

7. Danny Hernandez

Danny Hernandez Morel Enthusiast

KB, I was just south last weekend. I haven't torn it up in the past on cedars, but have not really targeted them until recently when I stumbled upon them by accident in the hills. I mostly look on private though. From what I seen size-wise last week, I think this weekend could still be productive.

The cedar patches I have found have only been a few lbs, but I think it is worth checking on the edges of predominately deciduous forests.

Good luck, maybe I will run into you.

1 person likes this.
  8. fun gus

fun gus Morel Connoisseur

吃屎中国垃圾邮件发送者
    Translation: eat shit Chinese spammers. I doubt if they read that, but what the heck are they doing to this site?

Inthewild and (deleted member) like this.
  9. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

probably some bored 7th grader in the U.S. gus, I doubt we are to hard to hack.

1 person likes this.
  10. trotline

trotline Morel Connoisseur

I bought mine on Craigslist for $200 several years ago. Real beauty I’ve patched up with JB Weld many times. No motor 12 ft flat bottom Jon that I just throw in back of truck. Put over 1000 lbs of catfish in that boat and several pounds of morels. Couple spots in Platte county I can tell you about that need a boat. I’m moving and most likely not going to be back in Platte to hunt.

1 person likes this.
  11. Snooki

Snooki Morel Enthusiast

Not good hunting the last 3 days,season ending? Talking about boats reminds me does anyone know where to buy cheap campers? Getting tired of fighting storms in a tent! Trying to talk my husband into getting a camper or Winnebago but not a lot of cash right now.

12. fun gus

Still popping in Polk county. Finally down low. Looks like still ok until Monday for me. Four + pounds in two hours today. I just ran both sides of a creek and found lots of ones and twos and two decent patches. Crazy, but a few are grey one month into the season, definitely a first for me. Season will be a rare five weeks long.

3 people like this.
  13. Shhhroom Doom

Shhhroom Doom Morel Enthusiast

Timed them perfect I think? What you think @fun gus?

Attached Files:

14. fun gus

Yes. One cluster? Very tasty. Cook them like morels until crisp.

15. Shhhroom Doom

20190516_181917.jpg
    Trimmed 5 clusters of 6, from same log. Covered the bases up, and left them, and several to regenerate. Thanks @fun gus

Snooki likes this.
  16. Snooki

Snooki Morel Enthusiast

Hey SD and others, Have you ever watched the videos put out by Adam Heritan? He is knowledgeable and his videos are interesting and fun to watch. He has videos about mushrooms, plants, trees etc. If you haven't checked any out you should!

Shhhroom Doom likes this.
  17. Snooki

Snooki Morel Enthusiast

I also forgot to say that I forget to put likes on peoples quotes. I think you are all interesting people and I enjoy the morel sites! What's with the deleted members?

18. Shhhroom Doom

he is very interesting, and is currently offering an on line class to get registered for. I don't know if it's free or not though. PA, and IA have similar fungi. Welcome here!

19. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

We delete you when you don't tell us where you picked the shrooms!;)

20. fun gus

Eat any? First saw them two years ago. Ate first time last year. They are good, I hear they have to be cooked to release toxins, like most edibles. But these should be cooked through or have bitterness. If bitter, needs cooked longer. I picked my growing batch today, not sure but think maybe three inchers are the tastiest. I’ve had tons of morels starting 4/16 and have 20# in the frig I need to deal with, so I’m thinking of freezing five pounds out of the nine pounds of oysters to figure out the best way to prepare when I’m not winding down from a long, but cherished tradition. Fairly interesting, they are native to Russia and people started cultivating them in the us. They are now adapting to the wild all over the country. They are in one of my three primary hunting grounds, but likely will become more common everywhere, similar to garlic mustard and Virginia creeper which were nonexistent twenty five years ago.
    Anywho, I’m open to ideas if you like them and found good ways to prepare.

Shhhroom Doom likes this.