Iowa 2019 Season

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by tommyjosh, Oct 30, 2018.

1. mushroommadman

mushroommadman Morel Enthusiast

Think I'm calling it quits. Not a bad run North of 20. Got 18 1/2 lbs for 2 days of hunting. IMG_0085.JPG IMG_0089.JPG

2. Shhhroom Doom

Shhhroom Doom Morel Enthusiast

I have had similar experience with them. We ate them for the first time last night, with no I'll side effects. I only eat one, well cooked bite, of any new mushrooms I try, just to be safe. Look alikes scare me!
    There is a beer battered parmesan recipe, and also a bbq recipe for them on YouTube that we will try one of tonight. I will post a comment about.
    I started researching these, when I first found them two years ago, morel hunting. As I understand it, someone successfully introduced these, to IA in the Iowa City area. They have since spread both ways, on I-80, and are being found more frequently in Clinton county now. My three finds of them, have been in Scott, and DesMoines counties. They turn to mush if frozen though, as I understand it. I'm keeping mine in a cool, and dark area of our basement, as pictures before, on stainless steel sheets.
    Just a footnote to all- I know this is strictly a morel board. I respect that, but thought some would appreciate a new alternative target, when them doing dang morels are hiding from our eyes! Exercise caution though! Jack o Lanterns are a deadly, look alike and they are similar in appearance. Shroom on my friends! =)

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    1 person likes this.

3. fun gus

fun gus Morel Connoisseur

good advice. I’m going to do this method:
    To freeze oyster mushrooms:
    • Prepare a boiling pot of water, two colanders, a bowl, and plastic freezer bags of an appropriate size.
    • Slice mushroom caps as above and save the stems.
    • Take the cap slices and submerge them in the boiling water for 30 seconds to one minute
    • Strain out the oyster mushrooms with the colander and place them in another colander suspended over a bowl to collect the drain water.
    • Repeat this in the same boiling water until all of your mushrooms are blanched.
    • Allow the mushrooms to freeze on cookie sheet and then pack into freezer bags and place in a freezer.
    • Do not throw out the blanch water, save as a stock for soups.
    I fried and froze three pounds last night. I’m going out to grab a few pounds today and experiment with this.
    Sorry to bore folks by being off topic,!

Shhhroom Doom likes this.
  4. fun gus

My preferred morel storage.
    1. Morel butter! After frying up a skillet full, carefully put shrooms on paper towel to keep butter and crumbs in skillet; add 1/2 stick of butter and use the edge of a plastic scraper to create pan drippings. Add the crumbles from the paper towel. Should be brownish. If black, you have heat to high and less flavorful. Freeze two pan fulls per freezer bag. Super yummy and lasts through Christmas. Great on French bread/ baguette baked with garden tomato fresh mozzarella and a little basil, or steak de burgo, lobster or anything.
    2. Frozen. Fry up a skillet full, cook til lightly browned ( 80% ish cooked). Freeze on cookie sheet, put in freezer bag. When cooking, heat butter cook frozen morel until fully browned.
    3. Dehydrated. Easiest method, but best for sauces only.
    Am I missing anything?
    I’ve had a fun season and down to the last few days.

5. Shhhroom Doom

Very nice looking! Things still pretty fresh up North of 20 evidently? Maybe I can convince the wifey to take a drive. Looks worth a peek to me!

6. Shhhroom Doom

We are getting ready to do this now as well. Wifey vetoed hunting North of 20 today - she doesn't do lightning, lol!

7. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

the Madman scores again! Well worth the run it looks like. I am doing family stuff at the moment, my brother showed up from Cal. unexpected for the weekend, love the bro., so I am grounded. I wondered if you had gone or not. It was 93 degrees over here on Wed. What trees did you get those on Madman? Were you east or west of 35? I may be able to get a day on Mon, for a long run last shot this year. I have aimed wrong to many times this year. Weird, for me it has been a bad year overall, but it seems you have spent most of your time in much better areas. I have only had one day this year where I picked over #5.

1 person likes this.
  8. mushroommadman

Kb - wrote you a private message under conversations. Didn't know if it worked or not.

9. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

got it Madman,, thanks. Man that guy sounds like something weird, I would have kept my eye on him to. Never know who you will run into in the middle of nowhere. Funny seeing your friend out there. I have run into people from St. Joe dang near anywhere you can hunt in the midwest. This town loves morels. I pretty much need real bad to go somewhere, my problem is getting away at the moment. I hope early next week is not to late. I really appreciate the infor. and will let you know how things turn out. I will be retired next year though so watch out morels. You can hide but you can't run.

2 people like this.
  10. fun gus

Winding down. Three hours and brought home 7#. Left several pounds too far gone. Thought I’d only kept a or b grade. Turns out about three pounds of A grade, a lot were big thin celleds that didn’t like the weight of two pounds per bag so the bottom ones crumbled- I ended up with a pound of crumbled shrooms. waiting for the north facing slopes to pop so a couple more days.

1 person likes this.
  11. Danny Hernandez

Danny Hernandez Morel Enthusiast

Ventured into the Western Iowa hills this weekend for a few hours each day. Could not make it to my prime spots due to inaccessible roads, but made the most of it. Found 14 lbs and 6 lbs both mornings, wishing I could have stayed out longer and checked better sets of woods.

Some were getting to be brittle, but the majority were still very fresh and of good size/quality. Most kicking off smaller elm, a few nice patches inside a mix of deciduous/cedar draws.

kb, I would not give up yet. I still found a decent amount of greys out there so plenty to still be found. Finally finding some on the bottoms which mean the end may be in sight. Also found morels growing on every slope direction as well.

2 people like this.
  12. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

thanks Danny, How far north country wise were you? Just trying to figure where to get serious about looking. Lot of public up there, some better than others. And as you said the secondary roads are impassible now. Sounds like I have a 500 mile driving day coming.

13. Danny Hernandez

kb pm me if you can, would rather not give towns up on here. Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  14. 515IdiotOutWandrnAround

515IdiotOutWandrnAround Morel Enthusiast

Probably found 5 pounds today with my boyfriend. He and a friend found 10 on saturday. Overall between us and the people we've taken with us we probably have had 20 ish pounds. Been going for a few weeks though. Only couple times have we found big patches. And they werent that big . my friend said in her old state 5 pounds is a bad day! Might road trip!!!!

Attached Files:

15. 515IdiotOutWandrnAround

Also found out even thoughicant cook much i can cook some killer mushrooms :) anyone else up north? Well north of 20

1 person likes this.
  16. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Don't really need town names DannyH. Just were you north or south of Sioux City? thnks

1 person likes this.
  17. Danny Hernandez

South. It surprised me how far south I was and how many fresh ones were still up. Yes, some were old and getting a bit brittle, but 80-90 percent were within the last few days coming up. DO NOT ignore elms in the brome grasses this year, hit a great flush on one in the wide open.

2 people like this.
  18. mushroommadman

Man Kb retirement sounds good. Be nice to chase morels and not have to worry about work. Told my wife today if it turns back into winter here soon we won't have to wait another year because the morel cycle will start over. She hit me up side the head and said "Get over it!" Hey ya never know, the morels continue to amaze me.

2 people like this.
  19. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

madman, the only problem with retirement is it means you are getting kind of old.
    And man let me tell you my knees are saying" 8 miles in the hills is for the young guys", but no pain no gain. I hear you on the cold, that rain last night was cold. Met a buddy who was coming back from Minn. last night to pick up some of his shrooms to dispose of and I was kind of waiting for the snow flakes to fall. Danny thanks for all the infor. I hope to get up that way if possible before the weekend. Ever want info. give me a shout, I will share what I know. Madman I think the morels are just kicking in up in Minn., surely your wife wants you to go bring back some more sacks. Heck if you can't eat em, sell them. I can get rid of any amount in W. Mo. right now most likely. Many people did not get their morels this year. Yet.

1 person likes this.
  20. 515IdiotOutWandrnAround

Talk about a weird year. This is a weird area!!! Theyre never only on one side of the hill. Never in just one type of area. We find them in such random spots. Rarely find a huge patch. Usually just scattered singles duos ans trios.