Iowa 2019 Season

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by tommyjosh, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Danny Hernandez

Danny Hernandez Morel Enthusiast

kb, I appreciate it immensely! If you ever want to join another dedicated hunter, feel free to tag along. People are still finding them in the hills just north of Douglas County, NE, so I still think the hills have some time left.

2. SEIowacker

SEIowacker Morel Enthusiast

Not been a great year as far as getting loads of em but the Lord blessed us with plenty to eat and give some away and have some laid up.Time to get some fish.
    My eldest son moved to western Iowa recently and has been working in South Dakota.He has found around 30 lbs this last weekend in South Dakota.He is doing real well in a new area for him.

1 person likes this.

3. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

SE, is your son in the river bottoms in SD or is he in the hills?

4. 515IdiotOutWandrnAround

515IdiotOutWandrnAround Morel Enthusiast

So 20 pounds was inaccurate we got a scale today. Todays find was like 3.5 pounds my boyfriens thought it was close to ten. Shake my head.
    Still prolly almost15 pounds total wirh us n friends.
    Also probably my first normal mushroom experience. All by elms. Where moss meets grass. Similar heights similar slopes. All west and east though. And actually found patches instead of just ome here one there
    I know we need mesh bags.. Or paper. I got the ones we didnt sell stored in paper 20190522_162901.jpg
    20190522_162901.jpg 20190522_162901.jpg 20190522_162901.jpg

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  5. 515IdiotOutWandrnAround

515IdiotOutWandrnAround Morel Enthusiast

My pics didnt load right above this sorry...

Is it worth it to travel out of state?

6. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Honestly if you would have had them in mesh many of the older ones would have been what I call cheese grated. Mesh can be hard on mature ones. People worry about mesh to much, just my opinion. It is best for letting the ants and other critters out before your car, and on real hot days. Spreading spores sounds wonderful, I say if you think it matters go for it, but I use half bushel perforated plastic apple bags most of the time. Get them at your local apple orchard. Just don't leave any plastic out in the timber.

AIM likes this.
  7. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Travel worth it? If you find shrooms, or are addicted to looking it is. What state you going to 515? Only Alaska is north of you, had some friends pick up there a few years ago, carry a gun so bears don't eat you. Traveling usually is done in a south to north direction to follow the start of spring. I was in Oklahoma and S. Kan. a month ago, and should be in N. Iowa/Neb.or S. Dakota this week. But I may be to late. There is an old shroomer saying" You don't know if you don't go." Nice pics.

1 person likes this.
  8. SEIowacker

SEIowacker Morel Enthusiast

Kb im not sure.He stays at a cabin during the work week and said he has got permission to hunt the land around the cabin.

1 person likes this.
  9. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

A seemingly endless season...but for me, the end. All the best to all. Now, on to other things.

3 people like this.
  10. fun gus

fun gus Morel Connoisseur

Agreed. What looked like a disappointing season had a very productive and fun finish of plentiful big greys. On to other things it is, and hope we all have the health and passion going into everything we do through next season, too!

1 person likes this.
  11. WalleyeBob

WalleyeBob Morel Enthusiast

Well the late season white oak thing didn't pan out this year. With that being said, the elms were a bust for the most part too. Found myself reverting back to the beginning days of my mushroom hunting endeavors by just looking at the ground as I trekked along. Oh well, I find it a decent tradeoff for how long this season has lasted. Hope everyone did well, they're still out if you look hard in the right places.

1 person likes this.