Iowa 2019 Season

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by tommyjosh, Oct 30, 2018.

1. HawkeyeMerkels

HawkeyeMerkels Morel Connoisseur

Welcome to the site @Halfway to shrooms Thanks for the report. G'Luck to Ya & the Kiddo this season & Cheers to hoping for some golden lands!

2. Tool fan

Tool fan Morel Connoisseur

146993CC-80B4-412D-A2EC-6D805BF70161.jpeg Also here’s one from this year in rock island last week

3. Tool fan

Only fifteen miles difference but like twenty degrees ground temp both on hills

1 person likes this.
  4. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Now you’re talking, should be great ground temps according to what you’re showing there certain sure.
    Ok, good luck all.

5. HawkeyeMerkels

Nice! Those two were some lookers. We sure did warm up quick last year. From winter straight to summer w/drought. As the 100mile per week progression goes..that be about a "normal" season start time. MotherNature bless us with a nice cool Spring!

1 person likes this.
  6. HawkeyeMerkels

Wow! Was the colder Iowa reading on the northside of hill? Or the warmer Illinois reading a southside of a hill? Maybe one had lil more sun exposure than the other?

7. Tool fan

The colder IA one is at the bottom of a hill the other one is on the side of the hill north northwest

8. Tool fan

Il reading south facing well south east

9. HawkeyeMerkels

Southeast usually warm faster. That is a hellva temp difference though for being only 15mi apart. More I hear/read about micro-climates..its like anything is possible!

Tool fan likes this.
  10. Shhhroom Doom

Shhhroom Doom Morel Enthusiast

Well, I couldn’t stand it, so I went out for a bit. I found two golf balls, one graphite arrow with high end tip, a nice para cord with d rings, a heavy duty tent stake, a pair of nice sun glasses, a five gallon bucket, a Geo cache, but no morels! Oh, and I managed to Geo cache my cell phone, out in the woods, somewhere.... ugh....

11. HawkeyeMerkels

Lol! Still laughing @ that post Shhhroom Doom! Always what my Sons & I find. Couple dog toys, key/s, shoe/s(never a complete pair), clothing, or tennis balls(fishing lures/bobbers, if by water)surely thrown in the mix too! I did find a real nice Iphone last year, hunting Hens in an Oak Savanna. "Can You hear me now"? Sorry bout your phone loss though! You thinking bout goin back for it? You like me & never keep the ringer on? Thats always Real Fun!!!o_O

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Shhhroom Doom likes this.
  12. WalleyeBob

WalleyeBob Morel Enthusiast

The

I found them by white oak last season kb. Some old boy told me about it. It's kinda weird not looking for dead elms. What do you mean when talking about <the drip line>?

13. HawkeyeMerkels

@WalleyeBob Thanks for the Late Oak tip. Hadnt ever heard that they produce morchella roun these parts!

14. WalleyeBob

WalleyeBob Morel Enthusiast

Hope it you HawkeyeMerkels!

15. Shhhroom Doom

Shhhroom Doom Morel Enthusiast

Time to re walk the 17,000 steps I did yesterday... cutting in to my fishing trip today, but life will go on. =)

1 person likes this.
  16. Tool fan

Find it ?

17. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

walleye, the drip line is the circle the outer edges of the longest and lowest limbs make where the water would shed off a tree in rain. Pin oak with the drooping branches have distinct drip lines when not to crowded. Never find many but I will look if I am walking by. I have white oak out the -- down hear, I'll give the ground a better look as I walk through.

18. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

I hunt a military base where you can collect neat things like boot knives and razor wire they leave laying around.

19. greys

greys Morel Enthusiast

I too am curious! However from the list of things he found, that was at the least an eventful walk, ive never found that much crap haha. I am thinking by the end of next weekend things will be good i hope? I see they allready changed the forecast and now not as much rain in most of the state and too much in other parts... Went out today for four and half hours, and didnt find any morels to put in the bag. The dog found a nice mud hole and got a bath. I think if we get a good few rains and week of steady temp without the excessive wind we have had, we should be finding them as soon as next weekend! Good luck to all and my fellow shroomers. May the spores be with you!

Shhhroom Doom likes this.
  20. morelmaniacmn

morelmaniacmn Morel Connoisseur

I saw on FB that the first Morels were found near Council Bluffs in the sand.

Inthewild likes this.