Iowa 2019 Season

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by tommyjosh, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Tool fan

Tool fan Morel Connoisseur

E090F0A7-2DF4-49FA-912D-F3675AC7A037.jpeg I seen that also on the great morel wbs but you guys in the quad city’s better get ready only one county over

2. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

I wander where in the sand since the entire river bottom was under water for 2 -3 weeks.

3. greys

greys Morel Enthusiast

I read that anything that flooded out west ( not a river just being out of its banks a few feet ) is not safe to pick morels due to the fecal matter. It said that you want to avoid them bottoms for 2 years minimum... Hope this helps and be safe!

4. Shhhroom Doom

Shhhroom Doom Morel Enthusiast

Well, according to my fit bit, I’ve spent over 40,000 steps trying to find it (my I phone) with no luck. List of non targets, just from yesterday: 9 golf balls, one eight point buck head, another high end arrow, a remote wilderness camp, a deer stand, stashes climbing spikes, one shoe, a cooking pot, a bunch of bright bird feathers, countless bottles and cans, violets, dandelions, larch spur sprouts, a dead chicken mushroom, and some foil, but no morealso or phone... I marked every sit down log that I searched, which might of been where I’d left it, with either foil, marker tape, or a discarded bottle or can. I won’t say where I was, but if anyone finds a white and silver I phone, please let me know here. Thanks, and happy shrooming!

1 person likes this.
  5. Tool fan

That sucks and so dose all the garbage your finding people suck
    Went out yesterday all I found was a deer shed

Shhhroom Doom likes this.
  6. Shhhroom Doom

List update: 1 embedded tick, and still in me atm, lol! No morels still, but it’s close, very close now

7. shroomdawg

shroomdawg Morel Connoisseur

I dropped my iPhoto today after I took a few shroom pics and didn’t know. I walked a little ways, went to make a call and just about dirty my britches when I couldn’t find it. I managed to backtrack and find it but I was fricking pissed, worried I wasn’t gonna find it.

8. greys

greys Morel Enthusiast

Okay so enough about phones. Glad to see others have been finding morels as well. Still not liking this wind we been getting. Warm up is also not looking good. Hopefully things stay cool.

9. Shhhroom Doom

I plan to bring a garbage bag back in with me, and use the trash I stood up, as a search grid guide. (Snickers like the Penguin) Yes, I’m a native born “Idiot Out Wandering Around” [Iowan] But I’ll be “that guy” and drag a lot of that crap out with me when I return to hunt it again. It is sad, truly, when we don’t respect our land.

Cassy Jo likes this.
  10. Tool fan

C7E42464-EF84-4971-8C37-78E46AD6876D.png Well this is our forecast

11. Shhhroom Doom

Sorry for rambling on about my loss. Back to fungus agreed. =)

12. Shhhroom Doom

Do you know where I can get that same thermometer at, nearby the Quad Cities @Tool fan ? Thanks

13. Tool fan

Got it at Walmart

14. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

[QUOTE="Shhhroom Doom, post: 779184, member: 20568" I’ve spent over 40,000 steps trying to find my I phone with no luck. I won’t say where I was, but if anyone finds a white and silver I phone, please let me know here. [/QUOTE]

Shhhroom Doom: do this google search: "how to geolocate a lost i phone"
    It seems that there are options available for you.

When I hunt with my neighbor, we use walkie-talkies. Well, one day I found I'd lost mine somewhere in the woods. I immediately got my buddies walkie talkie and back-tracked my path, pressing and releasing the transmit button every 10 seconds to make my lost one squalk. I found it within 10 minutes. I had to get within 30-40 feet from it to hear it.

Good luck. I believe you can find it. Let us know how it turns out, so we can all learn.

AIM likes this.
  15. Shhhroom Doom

Thanks Tool fan, going out to try to get one today. SB, I had all locator services turned off, just had 911 enabled. Thank you for the suggestion. I left an eight point deer skull, with neck bones still attached, in a low tree crotch, near where it was lost as a bio marker. Looks to be a passed late season poaching kill. I’ll revisit there in a week or so. Back to shroom zoom mode!

16. Colton kavitz

Colton kavitz Young Morel

Going out today in northwestern iowa will post later with updates

17. Tool fan

It’s on quad cities F3542D60-4CA3-4DC7-920E-23B886525577.png

Doobie.Dave and Shhhroom Doom like this.
  18. Shhhroom Doom

Good luck! My wife and I are heading out in a bit, South of the QC. I sure hope we don’t get that 80 for tomorrow the weather man is calling for...

Tool fan likes this.
  19. Tool fan

Gl I’m going to a spot later last day of work for two weeks

20. greys

greys Morel Enthusiast

• Grasp the tick’s mouthparts against the skin, using pointed tweezers.
    • Be patient; the long mouthpart is covered with barbs, so removing it can be difficult and time consuming.
    • Pull steadily until you can ease the tick out of the skin.
    • DO NOT pull back sharply; this may tear the mouthparts from the body of the tick and leave them embedded in the skin.
    • If this happens, don’t panic! Embedded mouthparts do not transmit Lyme disease.
    • DO NOT squeeze or crush the body of the tick; this may force infected body fluids from the tick into the skin.
    • DO NOT apply substances such as petroleum jelly, nail polish, or a lighted match to the tick while it is attached. They may agitate the tick and force more infected fluid into the skin.
    • Once you have removed the tick, wash the wound site and your hands with soap and water.
    • Observe the bite site over the next two weeks for any signs of an expanding red rash.
    • Tick attachment time is important; removing ticks within 36 hours of attachment reduces the risk of infection.
    • Testing ticks for infection is possible, but not recommended on a routine basis. You should consult your physician to see if you should save; the tick after removal for further evaluation.

https://www.hopkinsrheumatology.org...research-center/what-to-do-after-a-tick-bite/