Iowa 2019 Season

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by tommyjosh, Oct 30, 2018.

1. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

Be my luck that's where I'd find the sacred mother load. Don't think it's in me to be that cautious, I'd just soak in salt water and make sure they were cooked well. Could use friends and relatives as guinea pigs.

1 person likes this.
  2. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

20150517_124537.jpg tick bite I got in 2015, they went ahead and treated me for lyme disease even though I didn't test positive for antibodies. Only down side to mushroom hunting. I now wear all white clothes treated with permethrin and haven't had one since.

3. greys

greys Morel Enthusiast

Yeah that a nasty looking one. Found a fully grown female deer tick on my belly last night, ironically after telling a bud where i hunt I've not gotten one that actually started feeding. Couldn't of been on for more than 6 hours. I did every thing that post said not to do, Will keeping a close eye on it in the next few weeks, That lyme disease doesnt F*** around.

3 people like this.
  4. Shhhroom Doom

Shhhroom Doom Morel Enthusiast

Checked both sides of the Mississippi River, South of the QC, down to Muscatine. Warming up, but time to put on my rain dance boots.... my stuff is still a bit out. Found more devil’s urns, and new larch spur blooms... tick tock...great info on ticks greys! Mine sure still hurts! Hope the rest of you all did better finding, than hunting/foraging today? Happy Easter all!

1 person likes this.
  5. morelmaniacmn

morelmaniacmn Morel Connoisseur

So what does the white clothing do to prevent ticks?? Never heard this

1 person likes this.
  6. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

Allows you to see them as they're crawling up you leg. I pick off several every time out.

7. Tool fan

Tool fan Morel Connoisseur

703B545E-75B5-40D8-B73D-4CA5AC575DBC.jpeg 009ED890-E71D-407C-A075-D242DBC427B8.jpeg Well today was a bust need rain and there going to pop like crazy I think
    Temps to day tops bottoms hill sides all 55 + degrees

Shhhroom Doom and HawkeyeMerkels like this.
  8. greys

greys Morel Enthusiast

IMG_20190416_180531.jpg IMG_20190416_181007.jpg

Couldn't leave these in the ground much longer as they were starting to dry out. Still left the fresh ones that weren't dried out. Ground is super dry and wind has been bad. This 80+ temp were getting is going to hurt!

Attached Files:

9. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

yes, please rain.

10. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

SW Iowa, hey buddy you alright up there in Glenwood? I have not seen you post and I know you guys caught some of the worst of the Mo. R. flood. I-29 is still closed clear down to me. Hope all is well.

11. HawkeyeMerkels

HawkeyeMerkels Morel Connoisseur

Dang Br5! Ive seen You post about that Tick bite, but never seen the pic. Wow, that Mutha got U Good! Thanks for sharing it.

2 people like this.
  12. HawkeyeMerkels

Hey Greys! I agree about these High temps/wind weve had.. today & Easter Sunday's +80deg! Think JeriAnn/Megan said temps were to be milder next week, w/some cooler overnights. Hope like KB, to get scattered shower Monday afternoon & with cloudy day Tuesday, hopefully soil retains it.

13. Cam

Cam Morel Enthusiast

Happy Easter guys..anyone going out today? Think I may get some time in between relatives to check in the woods behind the house but not sure its going to be very productive, but I have to at least give it a shot. Good luck everyone

1 person likes this.
  14. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

I had one get embedded behind my knee in 2009. To this day that spot swells up like a mosquito bite maybe two times a year. What ever they inject seems to stay with me.

15. Shhhroom Doom

Shhhroom Doom Morel Enthusiast

Nice pictures. I totally agree. If we just can get some good rain...things are just a bit too dry, high and low atm, everywhere I’ve been.

16. MrBrowning

MrBrowning Young Morel

AAB8F430-E150-46A5-83D9-03024CFABE8F.jpeg No morels yet, however I did find some beautiful dryads saddle.

17. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

br5 -- I second that. I have dedicated "woods clothes" hat, gloves, socks, pants shirt that I spray with Sawyers permithrin, per directions. It works!! I even spray my shoulder bag and strap.

Every other trip to the woods I'll wash the clothes and every 2nd wash, I'll refresh the spray coat of permithrin.

18. HawkeyeMerkels

Welcome to the Forum, MrBrowning! Its a Great Resource & Full of equally Great Members! Thanks for posting that pic. G'Luck & HappyHunting this season!;)

MrBrowning likes this.
  19. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

Same here, don't use two sets of clothes I have for anything else.

1 person likes this.
  20. swi shroomer

swi shroomer Morel Connoisseur

Hi KB

Yes, the March flooding was/still is unbelievable. My company is involved in the repairs along I-29. Incredible damage obviously but there are some great contractors out there putting the pieces back together.

I’ve been lurking here and over on the Missouri board to see what’s shaking. I haven’t been out yet, but probably will after the next rain. Hoping to see lots of great posts the next three weeks!