Iowa 2019 Season

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by tommyjosh, Oct 30, 2018.

1. greys

greys Morel Enthusiast

After 5 days of hunting these buggers, Time to take a day off. Seems like many aren't posting their finds on here this year? That good or that bad? Still finding semi dried out morels... And freshly popped. Higher on the hills you go the drier it gets. The lower you go the wetter it gets. Good leaf cover on the ground is critical to retain mositure, so keep an eye for this, And you can see the dirt is closer to MUD rather than dry dirt you find up on the hill tops. The wind and heat will be here again tomorrow, but hopefully we get this rain tonight and tomorrow! Haven't found the scale yet, but picked 31 thus far, Guessing around half a pound. Glad to see some new faces on here this year! If you don't find them in your first 10 hours of hunting don't feel bad. I taught myself how to hunt morels with nothing more than this site, eyes, and feet. 15 years later, im starting to get the hang of it! All 2019 finds have been at 920-940. Cheers ! and Happy Easter

2. shroomdawg

shroomdawg Morel Connoisseur

Happy Easter to you greys..., He has risen!:)

2 people like this.

3. shroomdawg

It’s why I say, Shroomin Ain’t For Wussies!

4. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Yup, real shrooming tends to weed out the Whiner’s.:D:confused:
    How’s you been doing so far, so yo speak?

Tool fan and (deleted member) like this.
  5. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

That's why I now hunt solo. I've went with others, but after first 8 miles they're asking me if I think this is fun? It's then that I realize it's going to be a long day for them. Usually their first and last hunt.

6. Tool fan

Tool fan Morel Connoisseur

Lol ya that’s my wife after thirty minutes just keep saying it’s to early or there’s none here

7. Tool fan

Tool fan Morel Connoisseur

Just seen a post for the qc Davenport and Silvis

8. i_heart_shrooms

i_heart_shrooms Morel Connoisseur

Fuck yeah man. I LOVE going out on 10-hour hikes in the woods in the middle of some random WMA without a bunch of state park patrons asking me if I'm finding any mushrooms. Whenever I bring someone out on a hunt I warn them I'm going to be out all day and inevitably they get tired and bored because we haven't found any in the first hour or two.

You gotta be dedicated and accept that sometimes you'll get burnt and find diddly squat. To me it's just one more parcel of land I don't need to check next time!

9. mushyal

mushyal Morel Enthusiast

Found 27 small ones in Dallas county. I'd post a picture, but they aren't worth bragging about.

10. HawkeyeMerkels

HawkeyeMerkels Morel Connoisseur

RightOn @mushyal! Looks like were in for some perfect Spring weather. Rain, showers, thunderstorm, cool days & cool nights. Now if it will just blanket the whole state, instead of this spotty hit & miss crap! Many of these small finds happening thru central to the bottom half of State. This wknd.. next week? Either way, were about to have a Real Flush! Thanks for the reporting!:)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    3 people like this.
  11. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

Yeah, I'm always thinking over that next hill, and just one more elm. I know several people that have found 40lbs. in one area and the yearning for that mother load keeps me going.

12. shroomdawg

As soon as kb gives the word he’s finding shrooms north of St Joe I’ll be headed your way, we need rain up along the MO/IA line.
    We get some decent rain in the next few days the shrooms should be blowing up in the hills. Then it’ll be time to separate the shroompuppies from the SHROOMDAWGIES BAWS!!!!

13. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

There are cracks in the ground here. But ten miles north they got a quarter-inch rain last night. So I went tree hunting today. Generally speaking, mushrooms are incidental to finding the right tree in the right place. I always hunt trees.

The mid-spring forest floor is at once a crazy quilt of textures and kaleidoscope of hues. The crisp clutter of last year's leaves amid the chaff of sticks and twigs, some old, others new, are punctuated with new life in every imaginable shade of green. Interspersed amid the chaos of old and new is an occasional splash of yellow, blue, violet, white or red, completing nature’s palette.

After traipsing over 5 miles and weaving through the woods, it happened; you know how it is: in a near-magic moment, suddenly one’s eyes adjust to the collage of the forest floor and the subtle contrasts and relief of everything comes into focus. And that’s when you find them.

250 or so found in Johnson County today, mostly in the vicinity of one large and several smaller, peripheral dead elms, on a southeast-facing gentle slope of about 15 degrees, above the confluence of two springs. 4-23-19 Shrooms.jpg

14. morelmaniacmn

morelmaniacmn Morel Connoisseur

Congrats to you sir!

1 person likes this.
  15. shroom god

Thanks, bro, and best of luck to you as things get going. Wouldn't have happened until that magic moment when everything came into focus. Suppose I walked over at least that many?? I bet so.

2 people like this.
  16. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Hey Dawg, you may be waiting a while. NW. Mo is screwed I think. No rain for a couple of weeks and 80 plus will do that. I am not sure even rain will help, if we ever get any. I am readjusting my aim for wetter climes. I saw nothing but small dried up ones today around St. Joe. Nice haul there SG, that is what I am looking for. About how far north of Kirksville, Mo are you? I have a good spot over there, I think it has had rain. And ya'll are right on losing the non-addicted, want to be pickers. I lose them when I say I am going to drive 200 miles to check a spot, hoping they are there. Many times they are not.

AIM and (deleted member) like this.
  17. shroom god

Hey kb, awesome to cya here again, veteran! I used to live in Columbia (MIZZOU '85) and later Kirkwood (St. Louee way), so I know the latitude you're talkin'. I'm 125 or so miles NORTH--near Iowa City. That said, don't be deterred. It's ON down there, and north to the border. I'm 4 county tiers north of the border, but it's all about rain. Follow the rain and hunt trees. North of I-80 should be hot starting this weekend. That's where last night's rain fell, from .25 to .5 inches. That's vital.

1 person likes this.
  18. shroomdawg

Ya think? I figure one good stray shower or two north of St Joe and the hills should put off a few shrooms. I’m looking at the extended forecast for NWMO and it shows rain chances starting this weekend through next week..... let’s hope that’s the case.

19. HawkeyeMerkels

HawkeyeMerkels Morel Connoisseur

Absolutely! I read yesterday that You were going to be following the rain. That be a Good idea, w/Sunday & early next week, looking to be the best for rain potential. @kb hills sure do need it! Let us know, if the Posse follows that Rain Train!!!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    2 people like this.
  20. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Oh say there, have a fun time & be safe.
    Just say No to ticks. :D

1 person likes this.