Iowa 2019 Season

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by tommyjosh, Oct 30, 2018.

1. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Dawg, believe me I am hoping more than anyone that the north turns out well. Many of my best spots are between home and Sioux City.

1 person likes this.
  2. SEIowacker

SEIowacker Morel Enthusiast

Shroom God thanks for the report.Being south of you i reckon its time to get out there in the woods.Thanks:)

3. fungushumongous

fungushumongous Morel Enthusiast

Found a one inch grey and three very tiny (half inch or so) yellows this morning in one of my earliest spots in central Boone County. Spent about 15 minutes looking, not worth spending any more time out there for at least a couple days. Indicators are definitely still early. Good luck to all, cheers!

4. SEIowacker

SEIowacker Morel Enthusiast

The wife and i did a quick search of some early spots.17 little grays in keokuk county.Still early yet for me:)

5. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

That was probably the most well written poetic description of the woods and finding a morel I have ever read. So much detail intertwined that it spoke to my mushroom hunting soul.

3 people like this.
  6. JeffRoetman

JeffRoetman Young Morel

Nice written communication skills shroom god. Nothing tonight in my very mediocre spots near my home a mile east of Johnson. Co. Time to hit better spots in the area.

2 people like this.
  7. Cam

Cam Morel Enthusiast

Rain looks to be coming in on the radar, praying to the gods its more than a tease this time

1 person likes this.
  8. shroomdawg

shroomdawg Morel Connoisseur

I've been checkin the forecast, this weekend and next week look pretty good for rain.....I think NWMO and SEIA could still produce some decent hauls.

1 person likes this.
  9. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Atta boy, good job. Keep us posted on your progress.
    THX’z

10. swi shroomer

swi shroomer Morel Connoisseur

Got skunked in my early hill spot south of Glenwood last night. They usually start about this time of year there within a day or two. The forest floor is getting prime, so it won’t be long. A few rain showers would bring them, I believe. Too dry. Hope to go again Friday, or Saturday at the latest. Good luck all.

Quick question — do you folks cover your stumps? I do.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  11. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Is that you SW? I thought maybe the floods had got you. Nice to see you are up and about. Dawg, I hope you are right on the rain bringing on some kind of a flush, time will tell. Any other year I would drive up to the line and check some spots, kind of feels like a waste of time at the moment. Man if you get on the NOAA site and check accumulated precip. for the last month NW. Mo and W. Iowa are like at 10 percent of normal, I need mud on my boots to feel confident.

3 people like this.
  12. Carl

Carl Morel Enthusiast

Do you think Loess Hills would yield me anything ?? Thinking about taking a trip tomorrow after we got some rain but I dont usually hunt in the hills. More river bottoms but my spots are toast. Is it still too early for the hills ??

13. Carl

Carl Morel Enthusiast

Going to loess hills tomorrow it rained up there today so I hope I find something

1 person likes this.
  14. swi shroomer

swi shroomer Morel Connoisseur

I live in the Loess Hills and I think it is a tad early, at least here in Council Bluffs. But I hope you find some. It rained a little bit here this morning from about 9 am til noon. Just enough to wet the ground, settle the dust. We could get a shower or two overnight Friday into early Saturday morning, and then again late Sunday afternoon, fyi.

Carl likes this.
  15. manleyman

manleyman Morel Enthusiast

going to check at the line and south in the morning hope its not as dry down there

16. Swat1018

Swat1018 Morel Enthusiast

Finding a few in Lewis/Knox Counties, MO.

1 person likes this.
  17. bloomer

bloomer Morel Enthusiast

Picked 36 - 1.5 to 2 inch greys east of Des Moines last night(combined, not a pound probably) and left at least twice that that were just starting to come up. Will head back Saturday before the temps drop.

18. fungushumongous

fungushumongous Morel Enthusiast

Saw a lot of TINY greys (fingernail size and smaller) this morning in my prime spots in Boone County, none worth picking. All indicators still early. Supposed to get down to 32 tomorrow night, yikes! But after that, beautiful spring temps for at least the next week. The few tiny yellows I saw all had brown blight on the peaks of caps, but the greys all looked very healthy. Wonder if the low temps cause the yellows this damage and that’s why they are usually later bloomers? Used to think the blight was from dryness, but the soils in the woods around here are pretty moist.

1 person likes this.
  19. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

Get out there and pound the ground! I've been holed up in St. Like's Hospital in CR since Wednesday, helping aging parents. It seems that what I found Tuesday in Johnson County is an aberration. Was it crazy luck? We'll see...I'm able to hit it again tomorrow morning. Rain moving in after 2, and below freezing Saturday night. A similar cold snap and gusty winds occurred last year--(minus the rain) occurred here last year. Not good at all. Hope you get out and bring 'em home!

2 people like this.
  20. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

I've never hunted the Loess Hills. I've always wanted to. Given that they are basically wind-borne sediment from the plains, the soil composition is more "granular," isn't it? I'd think it would tend to dry out fast, but a period of successive rains and warm temps should be a recipe for a big crop. I'm just guessing.

Carl and (deleted member) like this.