Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

41 - 60 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hi everyone. We live in Kossuth County. Looking for some good areas to take kids out shrooming. Only lived in Iowa for a year now so don't know any places. And seems like everyone around knows asparagus spots not morels. Thanks for any help or tips :)
Definitely hit the public spots, especially the more obscure and primitive COUNTY ones. There are 24 or so of those up there. Using my atlas, I'd try: Patterson Recreation & Wildlife Area east of Burt (303 acres, upland forest), or St. Benedict Wildlife area (33 acres, forest), or Geigel Woods south of Algona (15 acres, forest). Hope that helps.

Awesome of you to take the kids out. it slows a person down but is well worth the sacrifice to teach and watch them become creatures of the woods.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Nice pics, Tool Fan. That dark orange one is some variety of Gyromitra. I knew a guy who thought he'd scored big time and fried some of those up back in the 70s and ended up with stomach cramps and puking. That's about all I know about them. That other one is a half free, right? We need rain here ASAP.
Yes half free or verpa I didn’t pick it and check

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone - new to this page! I am in the Quad Cities IA, so central and east Iowa. Headed out today to a friend's land in Wyoming, IL.. based on what everyone is saying, I don't expect to find much today and hope we can get back out in a couple weeks when it's a little warmer. We're new-ish-er Midwesterners (previously from NJ so acclimating over the years!) and hoping to learn some spots near here to search. (I know some secrets are guarded carefully but it sure is hard when you're new to an area AND new to mushroom hunting to find a place!). If anyone has any recommendation willing to share on public land, I will be grateful. I will also post pics if we find anything today!! :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hi everyone - new to this page! I am in the Quad Cities IA, so central and east Iowa. Headed out today to a friend's land in Wyoming, IL.. based on what everyone is saying, I don't expect to find much today and hope we can get back out in a couple weeks when it's a little warmer. We're new-ish-er Midwesterners (previously from NJ so acclimating over the years!) and hoping to learn some spots near here to search. (I know some secrets are guarded carefully but it sure is hard when you're new to an area AND new to mushroom hunting to find a place!). If anyone has any recommendation willing to share on public land, I will be grateful. I will also post pics if we find anything today!! :)
You could try duck creek

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks! I will check it out. Usually it's super picked over and all gone by the time we try Scott Co Park or Duck Creek. I've never actually found one at all and been searching for years. Maybe this is my year! Hahah
If you go to Scout County Park, the woods North of the playground, at Sac and Fox campground has been productive, more than once. Beware the ticks, though!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had luck at Wild Cat Den. I haven't found a huge lot, but enough for me to eat. I still would love to find one of those spots that is carpeted with them. I would give most away, I just love the thrill of finding them!

Edited to add:
I haven't had luck yet. The spot I normally go is high up on a bluff, not sure if it is best to check there early or later. I just go straight there and check.

·
Registered
311 Posts
4-23-20.JPG
Southern Johnson County. 6:30 a.m., and after a mile hike to check it, my early tree was flush. Picked 10 for my wife for breakfast, left the rest. Walked the mile back, went home and made her breakfast. Got the grandkids, ages 5 & 6. Headed back with them. TROOPERS! They made the entire walk in and back without bellyaching. Youngest even got to poop in the woods for the first time ever. How precious! And of course since they "found" the tree ;) they got to take them all 246 of them home. All from under one dead elm, about 2 feet diameter. Some distressed. We need rain.

·
Registered
311 Posts
What a great day @shroom god
Indeed, and I hope yours are equally rich, Tool. In the grand scheme of life, this day will probably rank in the top 100. It was special nearly to the point of poetic. I didn't even mention that at about halfway to the tree we rested and looked for 4-leaf clovers. We actually found one. Unreal.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Coincidence?? Last year...very same tree...very same date...and like today, first ones of the season. Conditions were a little better around here last year, and they were slightly bigger and less stressed. We need rain.

Attachments

·
Registered
696 Posts
Indeed, and I hope yours are equally rich, Tool. In the grand scheme of life, this day will probably rank in the top 100. It was special nearly to the point of poetic. I didn't even mention that at about halfway to the tree we rested and looked for 4-leaf clovers. We actually found one. Unreal.
That’s awesome you will have to take it with you hunting from now on;)

41 - 60 of 187 Posts