Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

61 - 80 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anyone ever hunt geode state park going in the rain tomorrow?
I grew up in se Iowa Toolfan. I’m not there any longer. I never had a ton of luck at Geode (doesn’t mean you won’t), but if you’re down there in that area, go check out Shimek. I regularly had luck across sections there.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I grew up in se Iowa Toolfan. I’m not there any longer. I never had a ton of luck at Geode (doesn’t mean you won’t), but if you’re down there in that area, go check out Shimek. I regularly had luck across sections there.
Thanks for the info will check it out
Will be out all day

·
Registered
22 Posts
@ bloomer do think it’s worth the extra thirty miles to go to shine vs geode ty
It depends on how much time you have. I’ve spent 8 or more hours trecking different spots through shimek. It’s Iowa’s second or third largest state forest so there’s a lot of ground you can cover. I’ve had many trips where I left with bags full. Part of it runs along the Des Moines River so there’s low lands and parts of it are ancient elm-havens butted right up against pine areas. If you’re lucky enough to find that one elm that’s on its way to tree heaven tucked inside a grove of pines, it’s a sight to behold. If it were me, I’d plan a whole day trip just to shimek. If you only have a couple hours, it might be worth trying another time. In my opinion. Good luck.

·
Registered
694 Posts
It depends on how much time you have. I’ve spent 8 or more hours trecking different spots through shimek. It’s Iowa’s second or third largest state forest so there’s a lot of ground you can cover. I’ve had many trips where I left with bags full. Part of it runs along the Des Moines River so there’s low lands and parts of it are ancient elm-havens butted right up against pine areas. If you’re lucky enough to find that one elm that’s on its way to tree heaven tucked inside a grove of pines, it’s a sight to behold. If it were me, I’d plan a whole day trip just to shimek. If you only have a couple hours, it might be worth trying another time. In my opinion. Good luck.
Ty so much for the info we almost there

·
Registered
309 Posts
A little rain but not enough. Hit southern Johnson County again. Southern-facing slope, open on east and west (full day sunlight), 20 feet from a spring, light leaf clutter and ground cover, plentiful sticks and small decaying branches, and moss. Yesterday's tree that produced about 250 was tapped out. Nothing new.

Was out 5 hours, walked at least 3-4 miles, and checked probably 200 trees. ONE today. Gotta pay the dues. Nature evened the score.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Polk county - rain had been going to the north or south of us. My biggest honey hole was a whopping batch of five Thursday but am finding one or two here and there in sunniest spots. We had a little rain this week so they are changing from tiny crunchy to fresher two inches.
Good news around here is ground temp just passed 53 for the first time in 10 days. Pretty odd year. Hot weather got us going from 12th-15th then cold stopped everything then this week finding a warm soil area here and there. Warren county and story county- north and south got more rain so going to take a tiny road trip this morning.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you plan on selling them at a farmers market, I have the China virus cure. $10 each and between crowds open your mouth and aim towards the sun to get some heat and light on the inside of your body. I’m told it’s a beautiful cure

upload_2020-4-25_7-58-52.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone had any luck around dead Ash trees? I haven't ran across too many but Wondering if the ash will turn out to be as productive as elms. My early patch in Washington county isn't producing much yet. Went yesterday, walked 2 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
Has anyone had any luck around dead Ash trees? I haven't ran across too many but Wondering if the ash will turn out to be as productive as elms. My early patch in Washington county isn't producing much yet. Went yesterday, walked 2 miles.
My twenty five where from one dead elm
About 1 pound in polk this morning. Stinks the rain avoided us yesterday. Hopefully we’ll get some more soon.
View attachment 30426 View attachment 30428
nice haul

·
Registered
505 Posts
A little rain but not enough. Hit southern Johnson County again. Southern-facing slope, open on east and west (full day sunlight), 20 feet from a spring, light leaf clutter and ground cover, plentiful sticks and small decaying branches, and moss. Yesterday's tree that produced about 250 was tapped out. Nothing new.

Was out 5 hours, walked at least 3-4 miles, and checked probably 200 trees. ONE today. Gotta pay the dues. Nature evened the score.

61 - 80 of 187 Posts