Iowa 2020 Season

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by morchella ed, Mar 20, 2020.

1. buckthornman

buckthornman Morel Connoisseur

It'll give just to rambunctious.

1 person likes this.
  2. greys

greys Morel Enthusiast

Yes rain has been a miss for my spots too. Rains north or south or west/ East of my spots. 4 hours and 2 pounds. I think the season is still getting started but have spotted some on north-ish hills. Most of my big producers this year are nothing like last years near perfect season, but i think were only a good soaking away.

Tool fan likes this.

3. greys

greys Morel Enthusiast

There is 7 in the first picture! 4 in the 2nd pic. 2 pounds on the 3rd. Cheers!!!

Attached Files:

4. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

To borrow a phrase, "Folks, here's the deal..." This season is in remission.

The 240 I found with my grandkids on 4/23 under a my secret early tree (24-inch diameter elm, S/SE-facing slope, profuse twig clutter, light canopy, near a spring) in southern Johnson County, although real, is most certainly a fluke.

4-23-20.JPG

Proclamations of a banner season "similar to 2003" due to late snow have not borne fruit. Like many, I hoped for that too. But it's become clear that there is very little new growth. Why?

I suspect the late snow wasn't the problem; under normal circumstances late snow can be a very good thing since it tends to insulate and provide moisture. More significant was the sudden decline in overnight temps into the upper teens and 20--after experiencing temps in the upper 70's and low 80s. I'm speculating, but that likely shocked and interrupted the delicate mycorrhizal dynamic, throwing it into remission.

Whatever the cause, the early season is screwed up. I've walked at least 10 miles in the past couple days, checked hundreds of trees, many of which should be producing, but have found only THREE. That's PISS POOR. In an average year I'd have a few bags full and be giving them away and freezing others by now. Northern Missouri experienced similar conditions and is also having a disappointing season.

This year, northern Iowa and Minnesota might be where the action is in about a week to 10 days. Counties above US20 were still mycorrhizae-dormant when the record low temps hit. Still hoping for a halfway decent mid-to-late season here.

5. scrid

scrid Morel Enthusiast

Skunked today but it's still pretty dry.
    Lotsa these though and anyone know what they are? 20200426_141942.jpg

6. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

I tend to agree with you. Now the late temps in upper 20's haven't helped, but our season usually doesn't get going until late April, early May. But the one year where our temps hit freakish highs in the low to mid-80's in early March, just snuffed everything out! It was desolate out there.

Yes! Those are Gyromitra. Poisonous. Do NOT eat! Frankly, I'm surprised at you scrid! If you're going to be out there hunting for shrooms to eat, you should be better educated. I knew what Gyromitra, and Verpa, looked like and how they could be identified before I set foot out the door!

Inthewild and (deleted member) like this.
  7. greys

greys Morel Enthusiast

We need rain!5 hours today and .5 lbs. Everything crunches cause its so damn dry. I did help find around another pound today for my brother but this rain were suppose to get the next two days will make or break the season. I am still finding fresh popped on south and south west hills. I do agree the freeze/snow screwed things up but I still have hope. 1 good tree can make or break your year. Last year they were every where, this year it seems like they are exclusively around the trees and close at that. I hope it rains because that is my favorite time to hunt. Best luck.

8. scrid

scrid Morel Enthusiast

By
    Ok thanks! Yeah no way I was gonna eat or pick them, I was just curious as to what the official name was. I see them every year but never have alot of luck with identification images. My target schroom is always morels.

Tool fan likes this.
  9. fun gus

fun gus Morel Connoisseur

Not make or break yet but definitely need good rain this week. Just a funky year. Pops started 4/10 but then super cold. Now dry but soil temp is staying at 56 and lilacs just opening up so the best is yet to come. I found a good tree yesterday with 50 plus but the other hour and a half found three. Mix of grey and a few yellows, fresh and a couple old ones. Nothing down low yet but sunniest spots seem past early season.
    Hard work brings good luck, so I bet those who stick with it can still do fine

Tool fan and (deleted member) like this.
  10. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Interesting hypothesis SG, Afraid you may be correct. I was very disappointed in my trip to the state line in Worth county. Not much to show for it. I will check it again just in case it becomes a late show. I know it had enough moisture, so the only other factor is the Temps. and they definitely had an effect it seems. Whether the shrooms are done for the year or delayed is the question. I hope the delay, but I does not usually work that way.I will say they were still picking good ones in S.Kan. and areas of Ok. even this week.

Tool fan likes this.
  11. buckthornman

12. buckthornman

Time to go snort some pollen kids! Good luck and happy hunting! Bucky

Tool fan likes this.
  13. SEIowacker

SEIowacker Morel Enthusiast

I think this season is just getting started.From the signs i have been seeing is the best is yet to come.If the soil temps out in the fields 4 inches down hit 60 degrees and we arnt seeing more shrooms a couple days later then it will be time to worry.
    Keep the faith brothers and give it some time.

14. shroom god

Just got a report from my son-in-law who "found a shitload of shrooms in morel heaven outside of Coralville." He is prone to exaggeration and I haven't seen them yet but he's on the way back.

Tool fan likes this.
  15. shroom god

Good to see you in the world, Buckthorn. Ready to pound the ground up there?

Tool fan likes this.
  16. SEIowacker

Sounds good.We didnt get much more than a sprinkle of rain down here today.I hope this next front drops some.I havnt really looked much yet,one of my sons and daughter found some grays but not a lot.seen someone come out of britton timbers with about 30 yellow colored ones but most around here have been finding grays.Hopefully that will pick up with a good shower.

17. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Have to admit morel hunters are the most paranoid people in the world when it comes to the weather and our morels. And for good reason! Oh and we are not know to be the most patient people either. Well just when it comes to morels. I drive my wife nuts preseason, in season, late season.

18. shroom god

I hear ya, Tracker. I'm 20 miles due north of Brinton Timber and we barely got a wetting. Not good. Seems like north of here is where the rain has been tracking. Here and points south are dry as a bone. Case in point: my son-in-law and a couple coworkers spent about 45 minutes in the woods on the edge of Coralville after work. Each one found about 50-60 shrooms. There was new growth mixed with old, so that's a good sign. Here's his take: IMG_1256.JPG

19. SEIowacker

Soil temps hit 61 degrees yesterday in the southern zone.That should get them growing every where.It will take a couple of days before their big enough to see.If we could get some rain they would swell up quicker and grow fast,We should have a normal year where they will be peaking out by mothers day,lets hope.
    We havnt had a normal year around here for a long time.In recent years we always get 2 or 3 days where the temps outdoors hit 80 degrees in the middle of april then it turns cold.It brings the soil temps up to 60 degrees and then way back down.seems to screw ever thing up.
    Now this year we did have the same thing happen but the soil temps hit 56 to 57 them 2 days.was that enough to put the same curse upon use again? i hope not.
    Is 60 degree soil temps the make or break deal?Probably not but ive been looking into this theory for the last couple of years starting with the states south of us up to us and when the soil temps hit that magical 60 degrees the yellow hoard seems to show up.
    Ive seen years where we had a bad year on the high ground but the river bottoms were a yellow gold mine.That year maybe 20 pounds came from the higher ground and 180 pound came from the river bottoms.
    Last year was one of the worse years i had,didnt get a whole lot on the high ground and the river wiped out any hope in the bottoms.
    Found enough that we still have some laid up but im looken forward to some fresh ones.Hope this turns out to be a decent year for shrooms.Good luck everyone,its time to get em.

Tool fan likes this.
  20. GoatTracks

GoatTracks Morel Enthusiast

Interesting thing about Gyromitra- the poisonous component is form of Hydrazine, otherwise known as rocket fuel.

I see them everywhere. Too bad they're not considered safe/edible-

Also, Hi, folks! My first post. Just found this site. Good stuff! I've been hunting morels for many years. I don't consider myself an expert but I've gotten pretty good at spotting the little devils up to 20' away and I try to get out a few times every spring.