Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are 1 month or less away from the Mighty Morel! I've found em as early as the 27th of March, But for the last few years the seem to come around the 17th of April. I think were good on Moisture if it keeps up! Sharpen them sticks, and ready them walking boots!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know people usually don’t share spots but but I’m new to the city of Cedar Rapids and if anyone else here is I would deeply appreciate it if they helped me by telling me about good spots to look close to Cedar Rapids

·
Registered
354 Posts
I know people usually don’t share spots but but I’m new to the city of Cedar Rapids and if anyone else here is I would deeply appreciate it if they helped me by telling me about good spots to look close to Cedar Rapids
Welcome to the forum. I'm not from Iowa, but I am sure there is lots of info in past posts. That's the cool thing about this site, I go back and look at my/others post from year to year for time and local, mainly because I can't remember and need to check my notes. Carpe Shroomem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
With the amount of devastation to the trees in CR and surrounding areas last year I'm guessing the Mycelia will be in full on panic mode this year. I expect it to be an extraordinary year with people finding them in their yards and everywhere else that was suddenly deforested by the derecho.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the amount of devastation to the trees in CR and surrounding areas last year I'm guessing the Mycelia will be in full on panic mode this year. I expect it to be an extraordinary year with people finding them in their yards and everywhere else that was suddenly deforested by the derecho.
That's a great point about the derecho. Everything is looking like it should. Perhaps some rain after this mini heat wave would be what the Mushroom DR. ordered. I'm predicting first central Iowa finds will be 6 or 7th, about a week before average. Got one more job tomorrow them I'm off for "vacation".

·
Registered
226 Posts
@morel meister Man! Derecho was something FIERCE! Thinking we'll reap those rewards for years to come. Agree with the harvesting in yards. "Save the gas, cuts/scrapes, tick spray and your fav shoes"! "We're finding 🧺 loads, right at home in the yard"! Is this heaven, no its IOWA!!! "Field of Dreams or Yard of Dreams", Lol!

·
Registered
226 Posts
That's a great point about the derecho. Everything is looking like it should. Perhaps some rain after this mini heat wave would be what the Mushroom DR. ordered. I'm predicting first central Iowa finds will be 6 or 7th, about a week before average. Got one more job tomorrow them I'm off for "vacation".
@greys Easter Sunday goin to be a Hot one! Along with the heat maybe it'll draw up a downpour this coming week? Enjoy the first night of your Vay-Kay!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is what a suspected back when the storm first hit. I am a novice shroom hunter at best in the CR/Marion area. I don’t actually like eating them, I mostly just like being outside and the thrill of the hunt. Does anyone know of groups that go out looking together in the CR area? I don’t want to keep anything I find, but I would love to learn some tips and help people who have property to pick that may not be able to do so themselves.
If anyone knows about something like that let me know.

·
Registered
226 Posts
This is what a suspected back when the storm first hit. I am a novice shroom hunter at best in the CR/Marion area. I don’t actually like eating them, I mostly just like being outside and the thrill of the hunt. Does anyone know of groups that go out looking together in the CR area? I don’t want to keep anything I find, but I would love to learn some tips and help people who have property to pick that may not be able to do so themselves.
Welcome to the forum @Imjustsosweet ! The hunt and being out in the woods is simply the Best! Maybe You and @ThomasCR (Welcomes to You aswell Thomas)can compare notes, ideas, & help one another out? Worth a shot, if Ya still looking for partners? Were getting close and the rain is upon us!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys. I've been hunting and teaching my kids for several years, Ive been reading the forum for a while and liking what I've been reading on here, it all will come helpful in the future. I might do a scout this weekend and see what's around here "Harrison County" ill let yall know of any finds. I've found a few deer sheds including one non typical while hunting, the sport is multi purpose so keep an open mind I've learned. I'm trying to learn more about fungi in general as I haven't had a "chicken of the woods" or any other sort that seems to be on everyone's wish list. Have a good'en N letter rain!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hey guys. I've been hunting and teaching my kids for several years, Ive been reading the forum for a while and liking what I've been reading on here, it all will come helpful in the future. I might do a scout this weekend and see what's around here "Harrison County" ill let yall know of any finds. I've found a few deer sheds including one non typical while hunting, the sport is multi purpose so keep an open mind I've learned. I'm trying to learn more about fungi in general as I haven't had a "chicken of the woods" or any other sort that seems to be on everyone's wish list. Have a good'en N letter rain!
Welcome @Gary Poe ! Glad you joined! Yes, this site has lotsa Great Members & willingly to help if they can(as you probably already know). A Great Resource! I'd like to see the non typical shed, if you ever feel like posting it. G'Luck out there, Look Forward to your report from the West!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yeeeeesssss!!!! 🌩 Now that was a good downpour in Central IA 🌩 ! Refreshing & Smelling of Spring!! Hopeful for more 🌧 tomorrow too. Seen next week temps, so far & I'm pleasantly surprised. 50-60s Highs & Lil colder with 30s for overnight Lows. Looking Real Good! Seems like Springtime..not this winter direct to Summer routine!! No more 80s til late May & Im Okay!

·
Registered
2 Posts
[/QUOTE
maybe we could chat some more and maybe go hunt some time I asked around and there might be a few parks that have morels around here

·
Registered
908 Posts
Yeeeeesssss!!!! 🌩 Now that was a good downpour in Central IA 🌩 ! Refreshing & Smelling of Spring!! Hopeful for more 🌧 tomorrow too. Seen next week temps, so far & I'm pleasantly surprised. 50-60s Highs & Lil colder with 30s for overnight Lows. Looking Real Good! Seems like Springtime..not this winter direct to Summer routine!! No more 80s til late May & Im Okay!
I think Morel Alley is primed to go Hawk. Lots of good rain for much of Kan.,Mo., Iowa, and Neb. And very timely. I would be surprised if if was not a good year. I am down here in NW. Mo and they are just starting. Lilacs will be in bloom in a week or so. I hope things are good with shroomgod its weird not to hear from him. When I read about the wind storm up in Iowa last year I could not help but think of all the tree damage that will kick out morels. I would focus on cottonwood in particular. Ice storm did the same down here in some areas.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts