Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

Registered
I think Morel Alley is primed to go Hawk. Lots of good rain for much of Kan.,Mo., Iowa, and Neb. And very timely. I would be surprised if if was not a good year. I am down here in NW. Mo and they are just starting. Lilacs will be in bloom in a week or so. I hope things are good with shroomgod its weird not to hear from him. When I read about the wind storm up in Iowa last year I could not help but think of all the tree damage that will kick out morels. I would focus on cottonwood in particular. Ice storm did the same down here in some areas.
Gotta agree馃憤 with Ya there @kb ! Couldn't ask for better 鈱歍iming or Weather馃對! Yeah he's been off the radar for abit..His Stick must be Eager!! @shroom god 馃摗

Registered
Been seeing these elephant ears this week, they are up most years about 2 to 3 weeks before the morels.No i dont eat them.

IMG_3235.jpg

Registered
Hey guys. I've been hunting and teaching my kids for several years, Ive been reading the forum for a while and liking what I've been reading on here, it all will come helpful in the future. I might do a scout this weekend and see what's around here "Harrison County" ill let yall know of any finds. I've found a few deer sheds including one non typical while hunting, the sport is multi purpose so keep an open mind I've learned. I'm trying to learn more about fungi in general as I haven't had a "chicken of the woods" or any other sort that seems to be on everyone's wish list. Have a good'en N letter rain!

Registered
I am hoping we'll get some rain this week end in Western Iowa and warm up next week! I haven't had any luck the last couple years. Not sure if my eyesight is the problem or just overhunted in public places? and is it legal in Iowa to walk a fence line to get to a river bank or do you need permission from the farmer?

Registered
I am hoping we'll get some rain this week end in Western Iowa and warm up next week! I haven't had any luck the last couple years. Not sure if my eyesight is the problem or just overhunted in public places? and is it legal in Iowa to walk a fence line to get to a river bank or do you need permission from the farmer?
I'm from Ohio, so I can't be certain about Iowa. But it seems to me that if you are walking on someone else's property, you would need their permission to do so. Fenceline or no. Here in Ohio, even if you have permission, and you are on someone else's land it's still called trespassing, just trespassing with permission. And that permission has to be in writing!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Close to 2 LBS in last 2 days. Get em now before the freeze. 3 flushes so far by my count. Left several covered in extra leaves to survive the coming cold. I left a few exposed to elements to get a good reading as to what this coming cold wave will do for the rest of the season. I hope it doesn't end it but ya never know. I got tomorrow and tuesday to get em cleaned out or covered, otherwise they will get freezer burn and stop growing. If your striking out, keep on southwest-ish facing hills, or hunt something else. Not easy this year. It's the hunt that makes finding them fun after all. I wish good luck and above freezing temps to all my fellow shroomers out there! Watch out for them Ticks, Already found one stuck on my arm back on the 10th after I was done picking morels for the day. Cheers!

Attachments

Registered
Last year it began April 22; this year April 17. Same special place: Johnson County, gentle south-facing, mossy slope adjacent an active spring, amid a grove of a dozen dead elms of varying sizes and associated ground clutter, with full sun day-long--and grandkids thrilled to hunt again. The biggest "special" tree had been snapped off by the July derecho. But the early shrooms didn't care.

Registered
Went out yesterday with my small army of children with no luck. Been freezing every night and now its getting dry. Need some heat and rain. Going to give it a week and try looking abroad. "Harrison County" did find some bicycle rims my 8yo daughter thinks are antique wagon wheels from the 1800s lol.

Registered

Registered
Went out yesterday with my small army of children with no luck. Been freezing every night and now its getting dry. Need some heat and rain. Going to give it a week and try looking abroad. "Harrison County" did find some bicycle rims my 8yo daughter thinks are antique wagon wheels from the 1800s lol.
@Gary Poe You take your army to the Harrison County Historical Village & Welcome Center? On old Lincoln Hwy(30) in Missouri Valley? WOW thats a GREAT place!

21 - 40 of 60 Posts