Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
My son finding his first morel on his own! He found a good tree on a western hill. Just over 1 lb yesterday, 1.5lb today. The wind is really starting to take its toll. The last three pics are of a new tree I found today. You either find a bunch or morels or find nothing. It appears that just perhaps it may still be early. The west hills are popping fresh and have some old. South hills are doing the same, but the direct south seems to be done. Again We need rain. This heat will get more popping but this heat wave will be windy.... 5 hours today to find that 1.5 lb and I know I'm not lucky.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
My son finding his first morel on his own! He found a good tree on a western hill. Just over 1 lb yesterday, 1.5lb today. The wind is really starting to take its toll. The last three pics are of a new tree I found today. You either find a bunch or morels or find nothing. It appears that just perhaps it may still be early. The west hills are popping fresh and have some old. South hills are doing the same, but the direct south seems to be done. Again We need rain. This heat will get more popping but this heat wave will be windy.... 5 hours today to find that 1.5 lb and I know I'm not lucky.
@greys Great pics! Kudos to You & Your Son!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Got a couple of pounds out of the river bottoms today. Most where starting to dry from the warm wind. Maybe some rain might turn things around for the better, Found 95% of them around one tree and 5% around another tree .The rest of the places where most times there would be shrooms had nothing at all. Not even any grays.

IMG_0027.JPG

·
Registered
38 Posts
Got 3. and a half pounds in the thorn patch today ,the rain did help bring up some fresh ones .Almost half of the ones found had been up for awhile but still looked good. The shrooms are still in good shape around here, there just not a whole lot of them to be found. Hope you all have good luck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Got 3. and a half pounds in the thorn patch today ,the rain did help bring up some fresh ones .Almost half of the ones found had been up for awhile but still looked good. The shrooms are still in good shape around here, there just not a whole lot of them to be found. Hope you all have good luck.
Nice Job @SEIowacker ! Some isolated rain 🌦 today for central Iowa. Headin out. Thanks for the report!(y)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well I went nil for nil yesterday. Anyone find? Did see a big bird pop up maybe 30 ft in front of me couldnt tell species cause of the tree density until it landed atop a tree.. A darn Turkey! First for me seeing a gobbler that high up in a tree! Sidenote found hunters tree stand last time out short distance away.

·
Registered
129 Posts
How is it going in Eastern Iowa in the bottoms? I've heard very dry and soil temps are already averaging low 60's......is there going to be a season?!?!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Went back to the river bottom today to see if anymore came up where j had got some the other day. Found 5 morels. Yep 5 out of a two to three mile walk and they were not in very good shape.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This weather is crazy. 80’s on Easter. No rain. Then cold. No rain. Then 80’s again. Then snow. Then 80’s again. No rain. Now it’s 33 degrees this morning.
I knew the season was in jeopardy when we had 4 days in a row of 80's around easter. Lowest rainfall total for April since 88, that was a dry summer. In over 20 years hunting, never seen back to back seasons this bad. Hoping I have better luck next week in extreme NE Iowa.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I knew the season was in jeopardy when we had 4 days in a row of 80's around easter. Lowest rainfall total for April since 88, that was a dry summer. In over 20 years hunting, never seen back to back seasons this bad. Hoping I have better luck next week in extreme NE Iowa.
I’ve been picking for 30 years. On average I’ll pick it 50lbs a year. Last year I picked 13lbs. This year I’ve picked 10.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I live in NE Ohio. Several years ago we had an early hot spell of days in the 80's in early March, only to be followed by sub-freezing cold later on. I felt we were screwed, and we were! Hunted my brains out and found exactly one, small, dry, shriveled up specimen for my efforts!

We seem to be catching all the rain that you folks have missed. I'd love to get out hunting tomorrow, which is supposed to be nice, but who can tell with how inaccurate the "weather guessers" are! I love the idea that they think they can tell us what the climate will be like 100 years from now, but they can't tell us what will happen the next day! It was supposed to clear out this afternoon after 3 days of rain. It was cloudy all day, and I just peeked out the window to see a wet street! Nice job!

This impacts me because I cut my grass and the neighbor lady's since she is on disability, and her Son is a useless idiot! I cut it on Saturday, and it really needed cut today, but rain wouldn't allow it. I was hoping for clearing, so I could cut it tomorrow, and hunt on Friday! It seems the elements are conspiring against me!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I live in NE Ohio. Several years ago we had an early hot spell of days in the 80's in early March, only to be followed by sub-freezing cold later on. I felt we were screwed, and we were! Hunted my brains out and found exactly one, small, dry, shriveled up specimen for my efforts!

We seem to be catching all the rain that you folks have missed. I'd love to get out hunting tomorrow, which is supposed to be nice, but who can tell with how inaccurate the "weather guessers" are! I love the idea that they think they can tell us what the climate will be like 100 years from now, but they can't tell us what will happen the next day! It was supposed to clear out this afternoon after 3 days of rain. It was cloudy all day, and I just peeked out the window to see a wet street! Nice job!

This impacts me because I cut my grass and the neighbor lady's since she is on disability, and her Son is a useless idiot! I cut it on Saturday, and it really needed cut today, but rain wouldn't allow it. I was hoping for clearing, so I could cut it tomorrow, and hunt on Friday! It seems the elements are conspiring against me!
Welcome to the world of CLIMATE change...in which gradual upper atmospheric warming due to Co2 blanketing has profoundly affected the once-predictable WEATHER patterns (e.g., significant shifts in global jet stream dynamics and associated effects) that historically informed our routine activities. The fact that forecasts that were once reliable are no longer so is testament to the new reality. Again, welcome!

·
Registered
32 Posts

I love hunting in the rain. Put the rain gear on, slide right through the brush. Plus most of my biggest days have been in the rain. I remember one time I ran out of bags and had to use my raincoat. I didn’t care.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Welcome to the world of CLIMATE change...in which gradual upper atmospheric warming due to Co2 blanketing has profoundly affected the once-predictable WEATHER patterns (e.g., significant shifts in global jet stream dynamics and associated effects) that historically informed our routine activities. The fact that forecasts that were once reliable are no longer so is testament to the new reality. Again, welcome!
Or it’s just another year like 88

41 - 60 of 60 Posts