Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
95 days, more, less, give, take...

This time of year, optimism peaks as our minds turn to the season ahead. We wonder....

Will our hips and knees and eyes once again serve us faithfully (and if so, for how many seasons longer?)?
Will the eager stick--so seasoned over many seasons--serve us for yet another?
Will the peace of wild things fill and renew the spirit and uplift the soul?
Will we trip and fall and perish in a place seldom seen to become carrion for the denizens of the deep woods?
Will our bleached bones found in another time and our story be then concluded?

Like the snow, thoughts drift, as do eyes...

Then, to cast one's gaze upon the world beyond the glass, the path of wondering leads to the woods.

The woods in winter. Cold, stark, silence cloaked in white yet yearning to burst free. An ageless contest, seasonal struggle grips this moment. Alas the victor, once awakened, is never in denial.

The awakening of the woods is assured. Our fate in the season is always in doubt. Optimism is tempered.

Good luck, all!
:D

·
Registered
467 Posts
You are so correct.
I begin to look, this time of year, at the southern states waiting for the first sign, or jdaniels313 and others out west having some early success and giving us hope in the central to northern part of the country that our season's are that much closer.
Although I am still excited to get out and shroom, I am so excited to get out and ice fish this weekend, I know when the chance of ice is gone the morels are on the horizon. Carpe Shroomem.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
95 days, more, less, give, take...

This time of year, optimism peaks as our minds turn to the season ahead. We wonder....

Will our hips and knees and eyes once again serve us faithfully (and if so, for how many seasons longer?)?
Will the eager stick--so seasoned over many seasons--serve us for yet another?
Will the peace of wild things fill and renew the spirit and uplift the soul?
Will we trip and fall and perish in a place seldom seen to become carrion for the denizens of the deep woods?
Will our bleached bones found in another time and our story be then concluded?

Like the snow, thoughts drift, as do eyes...

Then, to cast one's gaze upon the world beyond the glass, the path of wondering leads to the woods.

The woods in winter. Cold, stark, silence cloaked in white yet yearning to burst free. An ageless contest, seasonal struggle grips this moment. Alas the victor, once awakened, is never in denial.

The awakening of the woods is assured. Our fate in the season is always in doubt. Optimism is tempered.

Good luck, all!
:D
The knees and hips may be questionable, but I think my eyes will actually be better. I'm getting my first cataract operation this coming Wednesday! WooHoo! I think I may have to wear goggles though. Some of the areas I hunt are pretty gnarly! don't want to get an eye poked out. Or maybe some high contrast sunglasses like shooter's glasses. I am so looking forward to this. Getting a little tired of having the golf ball disappear when it's only 125 yards out!

·
Administrator
2,483 Posts
For me it's been cold and rainy... Warm on Monday 72f, since then it's been a struggle to 50. Was in the low 20s this morning.. if it would warm up and stay it should be a good year.
View attachment 41328
I will be Making the Most of what ever Weather comes Our way.... but I might like it best if it stays Cool, mostly-Overcast with rain every day
And temps bout 65°

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will be Making the Most of what ever Weather comes Our way.... but I might like it best if it stays Cool, mostly-Overcast with rain every day
And temps bout 65°
Shaping up well. Last year it was April 12 for me, southern Johnson/northern Washington Counties but the season deteriorated rapidly (dry, windy, freezing nights, then hot days). BUMMER. Guessing from the long-term that it will be a few days later this year. So far, decent precip at regular intervals; temps on a nice slow rise; the season is taking its time. Much better than shock. Hoping for gradual warmup to stabilize around highs of 65-70, low-to-mid 40s at night (preserves them), rain every few days, mostly cloudy or overcast, and minimal wind. That perfect combo existed about 4 years ago and the season lasted for a good 6 weeks, ending with late-May big yellows in hilltop pines! In any case, the 2020 derecho-hit areas should be hot this year. Best of luck all. 😛

1 - 20 of 92 Posts