Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Hello all! I'm late getting in here this year. Hope everyone is well!
Finally got to go out yesterday for about 4 hours and got skunked. Western Iowa river bottoms.
Did I already miss the season? It seems pretty dry out there still.
Scrid! Good to see you back. You're right--it's mighty dry, and the wind and ungodly heat haven't helped matters. Been a lame season for me, as bad as last year (extreme "yo-yo" weather). Still finding some but a lot of them are stressed. Still fresh ones coming out of moss though. One more outing and I'm gonna stand the stick in the corner for another year...unless I decide to head to the driftless in NE IA/SE MN. Hope you find some.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thinking of heading up to Minnesota or Wisconsin this weekend to put in some time in the woods. I didn’t get to hunt as much as I normally would this year, and now it seems to be close to over in central Iowa. Problem is, I’ve never looked outside Iowa. Anyone know of any public land/state forests they like up north, or have had decent luck at in the past?
I call Des Moines home right now and if you want to find any around here, you almost need private land due to the amount of people around here.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thinking of heading up to Minnesota or Wisconsin this weekend to put in some time in the woods. I didn’t get to hunt as much as I normally would this year, and now it seems to be close to over in central Iowa. Problem is, I’ve never looked outside Iowa. Anyone know of any public land/state forests they like up north, or have had decent luck at in the past?
I call Des Moines home right now and if you want to find any around here, you almost need private land due to the amount of people around here.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Not sure about out of state, but central iowa public land is still going. For me Saturday 12# in three hours, Sunday six pounds in 2.5 hours, Monday four pounds in 2.5 hours, yesterday two pounds in 45 minutes- I left because my lighter died and didn’t have an extra in my truck so I’ll pick up my run I had going today. Finding some old rusty ones I don’t keep but lots of bigger decent to very fresh ones. All on public land. Lilac blooms are starting to turn so it’ll start being north slope and valleys only probably by Sunday or Monday.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure about out of state, but central iowa public land is still going. For me Saturday 12# in three hours, Sunday six pounds in 2.5 hours, Monday four pounds in 2.5 hours, yesterday two pounds in 45 minutes- I left because my lighter died and didn’t have an extra in my truck so I’ll pick up my run I had going today. Finding some old rusty ones I don’t keep but lots of bigger decent to very fresh ones. All on public land. Lilac blooms are starting to turn so it’ll start being north slope and valleys only probably by Sunday or Monday.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was in the timber picking some oyster mushrooms and I found what is probably the remains of the latest morel I have ever seen.
I think it is a fitting testimony to how bad a season it has been. LOL!
Plant Plant sap Wood Organism Tree

81 - 93 of 93 Posts