1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Iowa Morel Hunting 2015

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by aepting, Mar 31, 2015.

1. aepting

aepting Young Morel

So we are getting close guys...... I will be checking daily.... Let me know if you see anything!

2. kspaz06

kspaz06 Morel Enthusiast

Wow cant believe no one have commented on behalf of all the iowa shroomers...... I know im ready. i live in clinton iowa im guess is we will start seeing morels around my area april 15... :wink:

3. shroomcuttin

shroomcuttin Morel Enthusiast

By next weekend we should be set !

4. shroomcuttin

I'm driving south this weekend . I can't wait any longer.

5. aepting

aepting Young Morel

Sioux City area here can't wait can't wait,, i heard they found some small ones in the council bluffs area

6. shroomcuttin

Aepting where did you hear that

7. aepting

aepting Young Morel

a friend went down to the Omaha area for Easter and there family had found some but they were small

8. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

It's starting to feel good here in the Washington Co./ Iowa City area. We could use some more moisture. I'm ready to popund the woods 'til I drop of exhaustion.

9. jmook12

jmook12 Young Morel

I'm heading south next weekend. I'm feeling pretty confident.

10. swi shroomer

swi shroomer Morel Connoisseur

Off and on mist, patchy drizzle and scattered light rain in southwest Iowa the past three days with highs in the 70s forecast for the weekend and more rain Sunday. Setting up nicely for good picking. As Shroom god noted for his area, it's also starting to feel good in southwest Iowa.

11. slicker_picker

slicker_picker Morel Enthusiast

Jmook, I drove south on Tuesday for work. I headed south from Lincoln Ne on 77 to Beatrice Ne, and snaked my way all the way to Belvue KS. After picking up the product I was sent to grab, I hunted various locations all the way home. South is DRY DRY DRY. The first few spots were so dry i only walked for about 20 minutes. Then I stopped at a location near Blue Rapids, searched for about an hour in a primo spot... only found some Orange/Yellow mushrooms that were very fresh. They are a few days away down there as well. I couldnt believe that I didnt return with a bag full of morels. We are close. This cold rain undoubtedly pushed em back a few more days for us.

Postin in Iowa, because 60% of my honey holes are there... from when I used to live in the Loess Hills.

12. ironmaiden

ironmaiden Morel Enthusiast

Des Moines had some good rain/fog this week. Does anyone know when i might be able to start going out here in the city? I got the itch and im ready to get out hiking

13. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

Next weekend should be on the front edge, IronMaiden. Check out the Saylorville spillway area, woods on the north side below the dam. 5 years ago I recall there were some good trees there.

14. ironmaiden

^ Was talking to a guy last year who said he went out there along the disc golf and just looked a long the woods and he found a bunch. Later towards the end of the shroom season i found a nice fat morel so yeah i almost forget about that area. Thanks for the reminder !

15. paamick

paamick Young Morel

A friend of mine found some greys in the very NW corner of Iowa on Thursday. They were in VERY sandy soil. I would not have believed it if I had not seen photos. This lead me to go check my very early location, which has a gravel type of soil, no luck! She had pretty decent size greys!! Another good week of warm weather and we should be popping!

16. miss morel

miss morel Young Morel

They are here in Polk county, 1 small gray found in my back yard. It was about 2 inches tall.

17. ironmaiden

Good to know Miss morel! Think im gonna go out looking tomorrow then

18. powder32

powder32 Morel Enthusiast

Small yellow cluster in Pott co

19. lewislj67

lewislj67 Young Morel

Im gonna go check a hot spot today.

20. morel meister

morel meister Morel Enthusiast

Found two white ones about the size of corn kernel's poking their heads out of some moss in Johnson County today...guessing a week till picking size ?