Is it over??

Discussion in 'Kansas' started by hungryforshrooms, Apr 22, 2016.

1. hungryforshrooms

hungryforshrooms Morel Enthusiast

Does everyone think the season is over? I'm hoping with the heat this weekend that its just getting started.

2. morelofthestory

morelofthestory Young Morel

Don't know what to say for sure, but I wouldn't give up yet. I found my first and only morel of the season yesterday. It happens to be one of the largest I have ever found, and had clearly been growing for awhile, but was still fresh. My hunting partner claims the vegetation and ground cover is not as far along as last year when we were still finding them. One can hope that after these recent rains and cooler temperatures some more will pop out still.

3. tamster

tamster Young Morel

Is it over? I'm hoping not! According to our FB pics from previous years, now is the time. However, my hubby and I went out last night and didn't see a trace....not even toadstools. The grass is getting tall and all other signs are there, just not the morels. We are hoping that todays heat will cause a little commotion in the woods! Only 2 ticks were found...woohoo!!!

4. newb87

newb87 Morel Connoisseur

I've pulled 13lbs out of the bottoms with in the last 4 days near Lawrence, a lot of fresh greys were still popping up. There good at hiding on the leafe litter so keep yours eyes peeled open.

5. nellman

nellman Young Morel

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I know I don't have an abundant of ash and elm trees but I've been searching hill, rivers,and creek beds with no luck what's so ever.

6. newb87

newb87 Morel Connoisseur

Nellman 8 out of 10 spots just as a example bc it feels like 18 out of 20 of my spots that produce morels haven't yielded a single one. Check different spots, don't spend to much time in one location before trying a different one. It's a weird year but that's finally what worked for me, wish you luck.

7. nellman

nellman Young Morel

Been87, I know. Went a little further south but can't find places that I can actually go to. Most of the land here is posted.