1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

It's on in So. Illinois

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by jaybo, Apr 13, 2014.

1. jaybo

jaybo Morel Enthusiast

I just received word from a very reliable source that 12 black morels were found on a southern facing slope in Jackson County today.

2. tank79

tank79 Morel Enthusiast

i wouldn't doubt that one bit....I was in Perry co yesterday and looks like they should pop soon. I just wonder what this cold snap is going to do to them? Mayapples were a good 6 in tall and some green is starting to show up.

3. lankrod

lankrod Young Morel

Found 9 yesterday......but they were small and really fresh. Probably popped overnite. Still a bit early, and this cold front will slow it down. Hope we don't get snow................................

4. woodsman1

woodsman1 Morel Connoisseur

Lankrod. Wat area were u in

5. lankrod

lankrod Young Morel

South of Route 13......in the woods, LOL. A friend found a few yesterday, still small, and some of them dried out from the frost/cold weather. Gonna have to warm up before "it's on in So. Illinois".

6. tank79

tank79 Morel Enthusiast

We sure need this warm up the next few days! gonna try perry county on sunday.....i was out in my woods in madison county with no luck. good luck ya'll

7. jdm5_80

jdm5_80 Young Morel

anyone think it will be worth it to go out this weekend in christian/shelby county ?

8. cls74

cls74 Morel Enthusiast

Still a bit early for anything worth picking. I tried to post images of a small gray I found yesterday on the edge of Springfield in the perfect conditions thread. They're on photobucket and he links are there, really small and didn't wen bother looking for another I. Fear of trampling them. They're coming up and with the absolutely perfect temperatures starting around Saturady and going through the next few weeks it's going to be in us in a heartbeat.

First weekend of May I'm thinking the all day festivities will start for me. Taking my vacation May 2 -11th. Was debating pushin it back a week but think I'll be in the good with grays and should start finding yellows towards the end of it.

Just need the rain to play nice and we should have a great year around here.

9. smof

smof Young Morel

Going out today in Wayne County. My dad found 8 black morels a few days ago. Hope this season is a lot better than last year's.

10. nleiweke

nleiweke Young Morel

I looked yesterday around Carlyle and didn't find anything. I think stills still to cool. But it's close I'm guessing by this time next week they will be up. But I also said the same thing last week. Anyone ever looked around horseshoe lake area??

11. timoncrew

timoncrew Young Morel

I found 10 of the red morels yesterday, I don't eat them. But if anyone wants them I live in belleville you can have them..... Don @ timoncrew@yahoo.com

12. cls74

cls74 Morel Enthusiast

Second find here in Springfield. Next weekend should be picking time

[​IMG]

13. jaybo

jaybo Morel Enthusiast

The latest reports from southern Illinois include a mixed bag of blacks, yellows and grays.

14. smof

smof Young Morel

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  15. smof

smof Young Morel

They were starting to dry up just a bit. Hoping we get some more rain soon.

16. tadnpoe4ever

tadnpoe4ever Young Morel

Found 55 Big Yellow Morels and Pecker heads in Wabash county today.Oh it on should be a good weekend.

17. tedrow42

tedrow42 Young Morel

Newbie I'm giin out for the first time tomorrow any tips on where to look?

18. jscott85

jscott85 Young Morel

Found about 60 black morels and 15 peckerheads in Wayne County today. :p

19. judgebutkus

judgebutkus Morel Enthusiast

Picked 12 Gallon baggies full of blacks,spearheads and yellows in so. Il. yesterday. Best day of the year but our last hunt in so. il. We left plenty for the rest of ya. Happy pickin!

20. funguy3721

funguy3721 Young Morel

Hello fellow mushroom hunters TIs the season! Im here in st, clair county/ madison county, It seems like a late season, Have been checking some of my honeyholes every couple of days, Didn't have any luck until The 22nd. found 13 Then, However yesterday was a GREAT day for me, I was walking towards one of my honeyholes and saw a large patch of mayapples with my fiance and decided to pop in for a look, walked the hillside with no such luck We got to the bottom and she spotted a small one, we began to look around the area and there were grays EVERYWHERE! we picked atleast 200 near some elms with dutch elm disease and one of the legendary puker trees :) After a bit of picking she asked if we could find a good place to sit and smoke a cigarette, i decided sure but let me find one so we can look near it while were smoking, sure enough we did, As i was looking around the flat land there was a creek with a 5 foot drop off next to it and i hopped down and saw the absolute biggest cluster i have ever seen in person there were around 50 in one cluster it was amazing (will add pics later can anyone help me out with how to put pics on here?) We left quite a few to grow and set off further as i tripped over a log my fiance looked down and spotted the first blondes of the year :) we ended up finding about 25 30 blondes (all good size) on top of it all and in total in about two hours left with about eight pounds, ALL of the mushrooms we found were NOT on hillsides yet they were on the bottoms of the hills and towards creeks The four days of rain we are supposed to get will pop them up on the hills The moisture content on the hillsides just isn't high enough yet This season may be later than usual but due to the good freezes we had in winter in my opinion will cause huge flushes all over even though the season has already kicked off in about 5 days we will have PRIME mushroom hunting get ready folks it's on. Morels, crappie, ticks HERE WE COME :) Also if anyone wants to buy a bit i wouldn't mind selling some, my email is bayzballisfun@yahoo.com phone is 618 420 5790 IF you want to buy some, need a hunting buddy, or if you have land and can no longer hunt due to age, or are just plain lazy give me a call or an email and we will get to it. Anyone with land they would like hunted please feel free to call i will pick them for you for a good cut of the mushrooms Thank you for reading this long message Best of luck hunters again please let me know how to post pics so i can Thanks folks :) HAPPY HUNTING :)