Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone in upstate SC had any luck yet? I'm in Oconee and I think we're getting real close. If the weather could hold a pattern for more than a day anyway.
We've been getting really warm days but quite cold nights. Regardless, soil temps are creeping up near 50 at 2" and 4" deep. We've had a fairly large amount of over the past couple of weeks too. Things seem to be lining up perfectly for a good start to the season.
Looking forward to that sweet first find of the season! Will keep this thread updated. Happy hunting all!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems like the nights are still staying too cold to allow soil temps to rise sufficiently. So I've been monitoring night time temps and I think as soon as we start getting steady warmer nights that conditions will rapidly become optimal. Can't wait! Good luck everyone!.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It's too early in SC. Perhaps another week or so. This based on over 20 years of SC morel hunting. Forget soil temp. I kept track for over 20 years and stopped since it failed to help. The soil temp at shallow depths can vary by over 5-8 degrees from night to mid afternoon. Best to wait until the trees start to put out new leaves. It never hurts to scout though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone in upstate SC had any luck yet? I'm in Oconee and I think we're getting real close. If the weather could hold a pattern for more than a day anyway.
We've been getting really warm days but quite cold nights. Regardless, soil temps are creeping up near 50 at 2" and 4" deep. We've had a fairly large amount of over the past couple of weeks too. Things seem to be lining up perfectly for a good start to the season.
Looking forward to that sweet first find of the season! Will keep this thread updated. Happy hunting all!
I been out looking all week
I haven't seen a sign of amy yet. Laurens

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's too early in SC. Perhaps another week or so. This based on over 20 years of SC morel hunting. Forget soil temp. I kept track for over 20 years and stopped since it failed to help. The soil temp at shallow depths can vary by over 5-8 degrees from night to mid afternoon. Best to wait until the trees start to put out new leaves. It never hurts to scout though.
How far south do they grow in SC?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts