Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

Jefferson Co

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  ricard76 
#1 ·
Went out for about 30 minutes yesterday on a private tract in Jefferson County and found 12-14. Just popping up. I'll try to post pictures later.

#2 ·
Had a pretty good day today. Started in Jefferson county early this afternoon and found 18 black in an hour. Headed to Hart county from there and we found another 62 blacks and 1 half free. All were very fresh1-3" and very tough to see the smaller ones. We found all of these in patches that produced a few earlier this past week.

#4 ·
Went out again today to check the original 12-14 that I found a while back. A couple of them look like they have grown a little but most are still not showing any stems. I'm wondering if the cold snap stopped their growth spurt completely. I did find a total of 36 today (including the original 12-14) and only one of which was a gray. All of the newer blacks that I found were smaller but did have stem showing from the undergrowth. I hope the next few days of warmer weather will help.

#5 ·
Checked on a few spots today where I found some big yellows last year in the Louisville metro area. Found 4 half frees but no small grays or yellows. Still just a little early. The half frees and apple blossoms didn't appear to be affected by last nights cold so I think the shrooms may have survived the frost. Found 40 really nice blacks yesterday in another part of Jefferson county.

#8 ·
I checked on the blacks patches that we have been picking in the last couple
of weeks. I was suspecting that we had probably picked these patches pretty well and unfortunately I was right. Found 1 5" black and 2 half frees. I searched some new and very promising looking hillsides to see if I could find any new patches for next year and didn't find anymore. Left there and hunted a different area of the county that has produced yellows for us in the past. We found 2 3" yellows, 1 small yellow and 3 more half frees. All felt dry to the touch. We need some rain for this season to continue fruiting new shrooms. Giving up on my black patches up here.

#9 ·
Went back to the spot I picked yellows last Tuesday and found 10 esculentas and 16 deliciosas that I picked and left 5 small yellows to grow. The 11 smaller yellows were all under 1 apple tree and the big yellows were under a few different apple trees and 1 dead elm. I hunted morels for over 20 years in KY and these were the 1st that I have ever found under apple & elms trees. Just really never had areas to hunt that had those 2 types of trees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.