Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Anyone?

Temps are there. We need rain ASAP!
I hope we get that rain on Wednesday! I stretched the legs in Franklin County last Friday, no shrooms but saw a few pods of mayapples here that were just about there. Gotta be getting close, I started finding them in numbers on the 9th last year.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope we get that rain on Wednesday! I stretched the legs in Franklin County last Friday, no shrooms but saw a few pods of mayapples here that were just about there. Gotta be getting close, I started finding them in numbers on the 9th last year.
The rain will (hopefully) be huge. It’s almost too warm now and definitely too dry.

I guarantee I could walk into the woods bordering my yard and find a morel within 5 minutes...only because I know exactly where they pop first. I could also guarantee it’d be about 1/2 the size of my thumb and I‘d crush a dozen under the leaves that I DIDN‘T see.

Trying to do better to practice the zen of patience this year....

ohmmmmmmm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Agree with you, though not in my yard, but have a spot 2 minutes drive from my house. I'm in Chesterfield (west st. Louis suburb) where in MO are you?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good to see a forum for our neck of the woods! I’m in jeffco. Sunday went to a new spot I found last year a short walk from the house. Nothing to be found but an old empty can of schiltz malt liquor dated 1975. The soil is getting really dry man we need the rain!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I prefer the 40 oz. size... For target practice too, lol. Yes, too warm and way too dry, hopefully we get dumped on over the next day or so! Good luck to you!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agree with you, though not in my yard, but have a spot 2 minutes drive from my house. I'm in Chesterfield (west st. Louis suburb) where in MO are you?
I’m in Hillsboro, Jefferson County. Up in the highlands.

I’ll keep you all posted, please do the same.
This rain ought to make the morels go “pop!”

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found about a dozen small grays near the Franklin/washington county border. Under dead elms werent there 2 days ago. Left them hoping they grow a bit only about an inch tall.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Found a few small ones, 1 grey and 4 blacks, yesterday afternoon
Nice!
The ones you’re referring to as blacks appear to actually be 1/2 free morels, aka Morchella punctipes.
For whatever reason, many people get nervous about these and tend to label them as “false morels.” They’re delicious, although a bit crumbly. They are known for affecting a small percentage of people with loose stool.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I think people get nervous because there are 2 species of false morels that resemble the half-free. These are Verpa conica and V. bohemica. They are easy to tell apart. The true half-free morel is completely hollow just like all the true morels. The 2 verpa species have a white, cottony sustance in the stem, and they will make you sick. I find quite a few verpa where I find yellow morels. I have only found one true half-free in my life. The instant my fingers touched it, it crumbled!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think people get nervous because there are 2 species of false morels that resemble the half-free. These are Verpa conica and V. bohemica. They are easy to tell apart. The true half-free morel is completely hollow just like all the true morels. The 2 verpa species have a white, cottony sustance in the stem, and they will make you sick. I find quite a few verpa where I find yellow morels. I have only found one true half-free in my life. The instant my fingers touched it, it crumbled!
They are crumbly ones, for sure! Nice additions to soups and pasta, though.

Good advice on cutting anything suspicious to check for ”hollowness.” Is that even a word? If not, it is now!

Some years, they’re thick. Some other years I never see a single one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you for the clarification Beo and searcher; found 30+ more today in the same acre or so area. I've been morel hunting for about 9 years (spring turkey hunting turned into morel hunting) and have had good luck and knowledgeable hunting buddies when it comes morel knowledge (aka hollowness).

Found this false morel 3 weeks ago when scouting for gobblers.

I definitely can use some help id'ing the different species of morels.

Thank you again.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for the clarification Beo and searcher; found 30+ more today in the same acre or so area. I've been morel hunting for about 9 years (spring turkey hunting turned into morel hunting) and have had good luck and knowledgeable hunting buddies when it comes morel knowledge (aka hollowness).

Found this false morel 3 weeks ago when scouting for gobblers.

I definitely can use some help id'ing the different species of morels.

Thank you again.
You’re welcome!
Yes indeed, it’s addictive. It’s something I look forward to year round.

Your false morel is known in the mycological world as Gyromitra esculenta. Common names include Arkansas morels and big reds. They’re kind of an oddity in that although they have been associated with poisonings, even fatal ones, it’s rare and many people eat them without an issue.

Toxicology reports find a chemical in some specimens that’s also a component of rocket fuel. This toxin appears to vary from region to region and from specimen to specimen. Additionally, people seem to have varying degrees of sensitivity to them.

Although I know lots of people who eat them with impunity, I won’t touch them.

NOT recommended!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good to know, I left it as I've had severe food poisoning before (3 am at white castle's in my younger days) which almost resulted in kidney failure and was the worst I've ever had felt in my life... So I error on the side of caution.

Question for you Beo: are you in the Mycology field professionally?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Good to know, I left it as I've had severe food poisoning before (3 am at white castle's in my younger days) which almost resulted in kidney failure and was the worst I've ever had felt in my life... So I error on the side of caution.

Question for you Beo: are you in the Mycology field professionally?

·
Registered
11 Posts
While travelling this weekend stopped real quick in an old spot I have in Ohio in Montgomery county (Dayton). Going to be a banner year over there.(y) I found a bunch of little guys around these tree types in the second photo, can anyone 'name that tree' based on the bark type?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts