Kansas 2020 Season

Discussion in 'Kansas' started by KS_forager, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Tamalama

Tamalama Morel Enthusiast

I'm in Douglas county and haven't gone yet but contemplating later today. What type of terrain did you hunt in? Hills, creekbeds, river bottoms? Did you bring any ticks home?

2. morel_man

morel_man Morel Enthusiast

In SEK it is usually best from about April 7th to April 20th. With Morels you never know. Those dates are when I typically start looking harder than I have been .

Tamalama likes this.

3. Morespore

Morespore Young Morel

I've been wanting to find morels for a while now. Started too late last year, so this year will be my first real season trying.

My question is, do they grow southwest of Wichita at all? I have access to some good river / creek ground but don't want to waste time if there is little growth down that way (towards Harper).

4. morel_man

morel_man Morel Enthusiast

I lived out in Harper many , many years ago. I used to find them north of Harper on a creek that crossed Murdoch rd and Northwest of Harper a few miles on a creek...dont remember the names of the creek but cottonwood were the tree of choice out there. I covered a few small areas today in SEK and found 12...all fresh .

Matt Fellers likes this.
  5. Laslo Holifield

Laslo Holifield Young Morel

New member. Going today in the south KC area. Maybe Blue River. Will report back.

6. tickbait

tickbait Morel Enthusiast

I've been out a few times around Lawrence and have had no luck so far. Many of the waterways saw significant flooding over the last year and were quite waterlogged and covered in debris. Much of the undergrowth was also dead and gone. They just didn't look very hospitable for mushrooms. I've heard that people are finding them in the area but I haven't heard of anyone finding large quantities. In an average year I still wouldn't be finding large amounts for another week or so maybe everything is ok... I'd say it's a weird year but I'm pretty sure I say that every year.

7. Salt

Salt Morel Enthusiast

I'm in the same area tickbait and observed the same conditions in some of my lower areas. I wondered if the floods would have any impact on the Morel production this year. You would think it would make the ground more fertile - but it may go the other way by washing in too much debris and carrying out leaves and spoors. I've been out several times also this spring and haven't seen the first one although I have three tick bites to show for my efforts! All signs are there and there should have been something out before the cold front yesterday, but nada.... Frustrating thing is my cousin in Johnson County just 30 miles away found their first ones on 4/7 and on 4/8 picked 90. I agree that normally we have a few more days to wait before the first bloom around here. My annual first mushroom find is Apr 15. With this 1/2" of rain we had yesterday and a couple days of sun and warmer temps they just might bust loose this weekend.

8. tickbait

I hope you're right. My uneducated speculation is that morels like to come up in areas with some ground cover, but not too much. That way they have sun protection but can also disperse spores. When I'm walking through new terrain, I tend to gravitate towards the areas with a certain mix of dirt/underbrush/grass- not too much of any of them. The river banks and waterways look bare right now. I don't do a lot of hillsides, maybe that's the way to go right now. (unrelated- I tried to post this and got a message saying that it was blocked because it was spam-like content. What am I doing wrong??)

9. tickbait

Also, if anyone wants to buy a diploma to a Chinese university, just let me know. I'll give you a good deal.

10. Sureshot312

Sureshot312 Morel Enthusiast

I used to hunt on the north side of cheney lake. Also had good luck around Harper area.

11. MichaelB

MichaelB Young Morel

I'm in south central Ks. I found 6 or 7 little ones that were dried and rock hard. Cedar on the edge of a field.

12. Laslo Holifield

I didn't find any along the Blue River in south JoCo last weekend, but was a nice walk and good to get out of the house. I suspect we'll start hearing of some bounties this weekend and next. Will try to get back out.

Sureshot312 likes this.
  13. tickbait

I went out in the Lawrence area and found a handful of small to medium whites- no more than 20 and all under elms. Everything around here still has that early season feel. Should be plenty of time left in the season. Hopefully we don’t get rained out like last year. That was weird- the first time I ever went without finding many morels under sycamores. The woods just turned into a swamp in the mid part of the season.

14. tickbait

Great! We just hit that part of the season where everyone stops posting and sharing information. That means they must be coming up.

15. Laslo Holifield

I can assure you my lack of info is not due to success.

16. tickbait

I hope that changes soon for you. I’ve just been noticing the trend in the last few years where people clam up once the season starts going.

17. Brdhntr

Brdhntr Young Morel

Went west of Leavenworth on Tuesday found a mix of greys and yellows some I couldn't pick because of the freeze last week.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  18. Samuel Sexton

Samuel Sexton Young Morel

Chicken of the woods?

Attached Files: