1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Kansas City Metro Area 2013

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by super picker, Apr 8, 2013.

1. super picker

super picker Morel Enthusiast

I hope that others from this area will add to this topic, if we can get a thread started it should help with reading and keeping up on this years morel season.

2. super picker

Went out last night for a bit to check on a couple spots close by to get an indacation of the seasons progression. Things are coming along nicely imo.

3. super picker

KCRM where you at dude? I'll be seeing you soon. :)
    help out to get the board under control, people we are going to have to search thre 35 threads to find one that means anything to your area if we don't clean it up now. Not trying to be a d$#& just saying,

4. newrocker15

newrocker15 Morel Enthusiast

Nothing out in Eastern Jackson/ West Lafayette county yet. Mayapple's are about 2 inches tall and the soil temp is just about perfect. Any day now!!!
    Found a few large red cup mushrooms. Anyone have any info on these, I cant find much online about them. Found all of them growing directly out of rotting sticks.

5. leaker88

leaker88 Morel Enthusiast

Newrocker - there is a Scarlet Cup mushroom that grows out of wet sticks and branches. Probably the one you are talking about. It is NOT edible.

6. newrocker15

newrocker15 Morel Enthusiast

Thank you LeAnn, I didnt think it was. I have just never noticed them before and was curious.

7. bonzel22

bonzel22 Young Morel

found 4 beafsteaks saturday in jackson county, were very very fresh .. I plan to look tomorrow

8. miss shroom

miss shroom Young Morel

Oh our God! I am so confused what happen to all the shroomers and the info.

9. super picker

Yes id say scarlet cup as well. Wont be long for morel.

10. super picker

What hunters are you looking for? Maybe i could help with some info, what do you want to know?

11. miss shroom

miss shroom Young Morel

Im just wanting to know what happen to all mushroom hunters that would post info about finding mushrooms and how many and where. It was confusing to get here you know. On a better note I haven't found any shrooms yet Im thinking this weekend or next what do you think?

12. livewire

livewire Morel Enthusiast

<strong>If they ain't posting they're Pickin!

13. plainview

plainview Young Morel

Miss Shroom:

Sorry to be so blunt but instead of waiting to poach peoples spot info you should do what every good hunter does. Go hunting. That is much more productive then waiting to see what area people find them in and invade their spots.

14. super picker

We are not picking in KC YET LIVEWIRE but it won't be long. Things are looking good. Saw a report of some smalls in south KC metro area. No pic but I think it is legit.
    Miss Shroom for some reason a lot of the older posters on here are not around this year. I will admit the 'New" look to the Morels.Com web site looks different at first but if you will spend a little time looking around I think you will see it is better than before. On the front page the post there are the most recent topics that are being discussed, for a specfic stae click on the message board tab. when inside a topic at the top of the page to the left you will see your options,at the top of this page it says KC Metro area, below that are blue links that will take you to other places, this one is Morels.co, fourms, and then the main Missouri tab.
    Good luck

15. super picker

One other thing Miss Shroom have you checked out MorelHunters.com yet. Join up and if you will look at the KC Metro board you might see an offer from me that may intice you to join. I will extend the dead line to join since the season is starting at a more normal pace this year.

16. topmorel

topmorel Young Morel

up north in liberty going to check a few spots later. seems a bit to early but who knows... keepn my fingers crossed for some little grays.

17. kcfungusfanatic

kcfungusfanatic Young Morel

Found a False Morel, Devil's Urn and some other mushrooms. No morels yet, but this year I have noticed areas that "smell like morels." Has anyone else noticed this? Does it mean anything?

18. kc rm hunter

kc rm hunter Morel Connoisseur

I smell them sometimes too KCFungusFanatic :)

19. parkvillemark

parkvillemark Morel Enthusiast

I'm guessing, from past seasons, that this year the season should start a little late, like 4/22. Does anyone know the soil temps. in the KC area?

20. jay

jay Morel Enthusiast

About 54-61 at the moment, depending on where your located. But the cold temperatures will be running down the ground temp's a tad. But no big deal, it shouldn't shock the green again :D