Kansas City Metro Area 2013

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by super picker, Apr 8, 2013.

1. newrocker15

newrocker15 Morel Enthusiast

Found 1 small black Thursday near Buckner. It was about the size of my finger nail, but that just means it's time. Jumping in the boat all weekend and hitting the banks of the Missouri. I will let you know what happens.

2. kay0213

kay0213 Morel Enthusiast

I ended up further N, closer to Platte......found 5. If anyone did better, I'd love to know, I was out for quite a while and either they are small or it isn't quite time for amateur pickers. I miss my old huntin' ground
    :-?

3. hildigard

hildigard Morel Enthusiast

I didn't find many. I'm still not finding them in the deep woods yet must b kinda early yet. Found em in the northland. ][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  4. hildigard

Don't know y it won't post the pics anymore. It worked a couple days ago

5. milestogo

milestogo Morel Enthusiast

went out and search parma woods but only found ONE small one. will search some other places tomorrow, hope to have better luck.

6. hildigard

In the Northland [​IMG]

7. reeldeal

reeldeal Morel Enthusiast

Found 7lbs on one elm in the bottoms today. A mix of fresh grays and yellows 2 to 5 inch tall.

8. shroomcrafter

shroomcrafter Morel Connoisseur

For anyone wondering what a dead elm looks like, here is a link to my YouTube video posted last year (2012), “How to Identify Dead Elms.” It focuses only on dead elms, not morels. To see the shrooms found under these same trees check out my companion videos, “Confessions of a Tree Hunter – Part One and Part Two.” Part One netted 14 lbs, and Part Two 9 lbs, in 2012, which was a poor year for most of us. [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wi_MM8-Yj4[/video]

9. morelquest

morelquest Morel Enthusiast

Once again I feel like I have no idea what I am doing. Went out for a couple hours with my wife and daughter in what I thought was a really good place to find them and got total skunked...live in Liberty, went to an area between here and Excelsior Springs. Not sure where to go now...

Is there anyone in the northland that knows that the heck they are doing going out tomorrow? I should be able to go, but would like to go with an experienced hunter to learn what I can. The above post is very informative, I will look for dead elms tomorrow.

10. milestogo

milestogo Morel Enthusiast

what am i doing wrong?? looked for hours again today and only came up with three, including the one i'd found yesterday but didn't pick. :(

going to try a new location tomorrow and see what luck i have.

11. parkvillemark

parkvillemark Morel Enthusiast

They are up in Platte County, found 80 total today in 3.5 hours with one other person. 60 fresh juicy 5 inch yellows and 20 2-3 inch fresh greys. They just came up so next 3 days should be pure harvest time. Hitting the river bluffs in St. Joe tomorrow. Good luck all!

12. meeps

meeps Young Morel

Found 143 up by the airport today. Ran into 2 other guys testing the grounds as well.
    [​IMG]

13. hildigard

MorelQuest. Your pretty close to Wallace state park. We've had decent luck there. There is certain spots. Not really around the campground

14. mrmrssmith

mrmrssmith Young Morel

My first real mushroom hunt today! Found 15 up just north of Platte City near the lake. Pretty ecstatic though. Can't wait to go again this weekend :) <a href="[​IMG]

15. newrocker15

newrocker15 Morel Enthusiast

Found 13 greys and 2 fat yellows about a 1/4 mile off the river bank in Lafayette county. They were all hiding in thick brush with tons of young oak trees. Taking the boat out a little deeper in the morning, should be prime.

16. parkvillemark

parkvillemark Morel Enthusiast

Got shut out up in St. Joe this morning. Came back home to Platte County and found 34 more greys and yellows - very fresh, nice size. That's 118 the last 2 days in Platte County, is anyone finding them further north yet?

17. sarsippius

sarsippius Young Morel

I found a pretty nice mess of them yesterday on the other side of the state line. About 3 pounds found within the span of about 45 minutes. Of course, that was after walking around in the woods for about 3 hours!

18. sarsippius

sarsippius Young Morel

[​IMG]

19. kay0213

kay0213 Morel Enthusiast

Meeps....I was at the airport on the straight running N off of "D"....I saw tons of purple on the airport postings, did I miss an area or is it ok to do the "roadway".

20. morelquest

morelquest Morel Enthusiast

The wife and I went out this morning for an hour or so at Stocksdale Park in Liberty...didn't find a one. I went back out for a while and this time went to the river bottoms right next to the river and found 25 or so nice yellows. Had to leave a few as they had already dried out and were falling apart. I ran out of time, and was actually not where I was supposed to be so didn't want to stay long, or feel I could have found more.

Stocksdale Park has probably 50+ acers of wooded area, and appears to have some excellent areas that would promote morel growth, but I just didn't see one. So it seems to me that it is mostly about location, location, location.

I was under the impression that if you found a wooded area, and you looked long enough, and under the right trees, you would find them. I now believe that is not the case and that some locations just never have any. Any objections? It is either that or the times at which they come up varies quite a bit. Anyone have any better explaination?