Kansas City Metro Area 2013

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by super picker, Apr 8, 2013.

1. sarsippius

sarsippius Young Morel

The ones that I found yesterday weren't in the typical type of terrain where you would expect to find them. Everyone says to check creek beds and river bottoms, but the ones I found were on top of a hill on the edge of a clearing. I think the crazy weather we've had recently is playing hell with where they're growing. One of the big things to consider is that you're not the only one who is out looking for them. If you're hunting in public parks, there's a good chance someone (or something) has beaten you to them. Just as we love to eat them, so do deer. They're out there, and even though they're off to a bit of a late start, the season is definitely in full swing.

2. shroominhork

shroominhork Young Morel

Couldn't get out last weekend and had to get out yesterday. Went to Longview Lake and had about 50 ticks crawling on me within 15 minutes, I got the heck out of there, didn't see any signs of shrooms. I'm hurtin, need to find some, everything looks like a shroom.

3. tricountyguy

tricountyguy Morel Enthusiast

I'm still finding them in my "normal" spots with the exception of a couple, but not in the quantity I've found them in the past. I found my biggest mess of the year in a clearing next to a creek surrounded by hills with only one massive dying elm in the area. As long as the soil temps hold up and stay in the 50's with this week of rain and cooler temps coming I think by this time next week they will be everywhere. Hoping for a long season in NWMO

4. dirgel

dirgel Young Morel

Just a friendly reminder to all our river rat mushroom hunters like myself. In order see morels I walk slow and maybe a little too quiet. Found myself standing over a rattle snake today. Glad I'm old school, and take a walking stick with me. Be mindful of your surroundings, make sure a loved (and trusted) one knows where you're going. Also found 22 more yellows not far off the river.

5. kc rm hunter

kc rm hunter Morel Connoisseur

I finally found one!!! Down in the river bottoms like folks were saying.....
    But it seems the morels are unusually white and fluffy this year,
    anyone else notice this or is it just me?? :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  6. newrocker15

newrocker15 Morel Enthusiast

Wow, that's cool whatever it is KCRM. I'v never seen anything like that.

7. ms_ morel

ms_ morel Morel Enthusiast

Interesting :?: Coprinus comatus :?: you have pictured there, KCRH. :wink: :lol:

8. morelquest

morelquest Morel Enthusiast

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonstottlemyre/8697975474/" title="Morels '13 by Jason Stottlemyre, on Flickr"></a>

Went out today again for about 3 hours along the river with my wife and between the two of us we found a couple of pounds of really nice mushrooms. Almost all of them were found under cottonwood trees. No motherlode, but it seemed that the trees that had them usually had between 4-8 good sized Morels under it. I think I have finally found my spot...leaving town the next few days, plan to go out again on Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonstottlemyre/8697975186/" title="Morels '13 by Jason Stottlemyre, on Flickr">[img]</a>

9. kc rm hunter

kc rm hunter Morel Connoisseur

Yes,like Julie sad a Shaggy Maine.Usually more predominate in late summer and fall.But these came out with the morels and had quite a few nice big ones.I have never kept any to take home,these are such delicate mushrooms that a basket is needed,otherwise they will fall to pieces:) Nice mushrooms morelquest! Good luck out there Julie and newrocker15 ,and all you other fellow crazy hunters !! :)

10. mobigbucks

mobigbucks Young Morel

Kay0213,

I'd be careful in that area...I 've heard of people getting arrested for tresspassing on KCI property. KCMO PD patrols that area for tresspassers all of the time.

11. mobigbucks

mobigbucks Young Morel

I've been finding some grey's but no decent yellow's yet. This is Eastern Jackson county. I'm not real happy about this cold weather coming tomorrow.

12. kay0213

kay0213 Morel Enthusiast

I was looking for signs and did see quite a bit of marking further south of where we actually hunted. That's what made me wonder where people were at near airport, I figured it was covered by the popo :) We were shut out here in Dodge City area, but it is just too dang dry this year and the last 2 years. I did talk to a cons dept and they have been found here in the past, just not recently and not like back in KC. It is cold here now too and I can't afford another trip, nor can my back....so Happy Hunting back in East.

13. meeps

meeps Young Morel

We were right off D. And yes there is a spot or 2 that does not have any purple markings. The guys I go with work at KCI, so they know alot of the people and the area.

14. meeps

meeps Young Morel

Round 2! Starting to get bigger.
    [​IMG]

15. hildigard

hildigard Morel Enthusiast

Found em in the northland. Cold rain just started to snow when we got out of there [​IMG]

16. milestogo

milestogo Morel Enthusiast

:cry:

I've officially got the mushroom blues. Have been out 4-5 different days now over the last two weeks, have hunted several different locations for several hours each and have still only come up with the 3. Feeling so discouraged! I've been trying mostly conservation areas, is that the trouble? Or is it that I'm not hunting in the river bottoms? Is that the only place you can find them?

People said they found them in Platte, so we hunted Platte, but .. nada!! They say they're finding them in central missouri, so maybe we'll head south and try our luck.

Feeling left out of the reindeer games. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated...

17. leaker88

leaker88 Morel Enthusiast

Well said Milestogo. I'm right there with you, I have only found 2. And not in the spots that 'always produce' for me. It's a weird year for sure. I think me and the hubby are going to go search out some bottoms this weekend, I've never hunted river bottoms, but I am willing to do anything, Discouraging for sure.

18. steve bower

steve bower Young Morel

I am new to this game but have studied the art of morel hunting and have enjoyed the posts here.
    I have hunted several times over the last week in north Cass county with no luck. Since it snowed last night I am wondering if I should bother to go again. Will this years Morels survive the snow and cold weather? Thanks!

19. hildigard

hildigard Morel Enthusiast

We just got back n found quit a few. Look in the sycamores very carefully they r barely pokin thru. If u come to tall grass don't bore on by it mainly if there is a couple snags (dead elms). They don't have to b big snags to put off a couple morels. They blend in that grass. Look for texture not really color. GOOD LUCK!!! U should FIND EM!!