Kearney, Mo area morel mushrooms

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by FITTYSPENCE, Apr 3, 2017.

1. FITTYSPENCE

FITTYSPENCE Morel Enthusiast

Hey everybody I live in Kearney, Mo and we been getting plenty of rain but just not enough sun! Checked a couple of spots around Smithville Lake and still nothing. The ground seems soft and wet enough so I was just wondering if anyone has found any around my area. Please let me know! Thanks.

2. ShawnT

ShawnT Young Morel

Hey Fitty. I live just north of Kearney and its still a bit early but this weekend looks promising. Good luck!!!

3. FITTYSPENCE

Yeah just waiting for the sun to come out and we should be good! Thanks and good luck to you too!

4. trotline

trotline Morel Connoisseur

Friend found couple small greys. She is in clay county. This weekend should be a good kickoff to the season

FITTYSPENCE likes this.
  5. NWMO1512

NWMO1512 Morel Enthusiast

I'm North of Saint Joe and went out Saturday. No luck. Need a few days of sunlight I believe.

1 person likes this.
  6. trotline

trotline Morel Connoisseur

Nice buck

NWMO1512 likes this.
  7. MO ShroomSniper

MO ShroomSniper Morel Enthusiast

I was going to tag on to that statement with something silly like "that's what she said!" ... but then I looked at NWMO's pic and, dang - that really IS a nice buck!

NWMO1512 likes this.
  8. FITTYSPENCE

Yeah that is a nice buck! I need some hunting spots up north because that's where all the big deer are at. I only got a couple spots down south in Stockton around the lakes... Anyways I'm thinking bout getting out tomorrow and looking since it's not supposed to rain the next couple days and it's gonna be nice this weekend 70's. I will keep ya posted!

9. leaker88

leaker88 Morel Enthusiast

Love your profile pic Mo ShroomSniper.

10. NWMO1512

Yes sir! It's always good hunting up this way, I've shot 5-6 bucks over 150 inches. The one in my picture scored 188 but I like to round up to 190! :) There is some good public ground up this way that would be worth the drive for a weekend bow hunt, I would stay far away during the rifle season though!

FITTYSPENCE likes this.
  11. FITTYSPENCE

Yeah I used to hunt up in Hamilton and loved it but my friend sold the place... Now I'm thinking about buying a place lol you know of any good land up there?

12. MO ShroomSniper

Thanks leaker!

NWMO - You're making me green with envy...

So I'm thinking the ground temps are still just a tad low. I reckon by this weekend we should start to see things really taking off after some warmer temps and sun. The green undergrowth is starting to get thick, and my buddy has found a total of a dozen good sized ones over along the Kaw over the last 3 days. I'm going to try to get out tomorrow after work and check a couple of my spots on the far NE side of Independence.

13. NWMO1512

@FITTYSPENCE there is usually all sorts of farms for sale ranging from 40's to big row crop farms. I would check a local real estate website and see whats out there. My uncle works for United Country and they usually have a lot of farms listed!

@MOShroomSniper let me know how the Thursday hunt goes. I plan on trying again this Saturday and hunting pretty hard. I'm with you on the temps, I think this weekend should make a few pop.

FITTYSPENCE likes this.
  14. FITTYSPENCE

Yeah I went out yesterday and looked for a couple hours and only found 2 beefsteaks. I'm thinking it needs a couple days to warm up the ground so this Saturday should be good!

15. MO ShroomSniper

Yeah, I never made it out yesterday....darn boss. I'm hitting the woods in a bit though!

16. MO ShroomSniper

Looked for a bit yesterday and today and came up empty handed. Though I came across a guy with a bag of a dozen small greys he had found. Mayapples are still small and it seems early. I think next weekend will be prime time. But...They are up!

FITTYSPENCE likes this.
  17. FITTYSPENCE

Same here, I checked a couple honey holes of mine up here in Kearney again today and came up empty handed. Looks like we need to get down to the river because that's where everyone's finding em!

18. FITTYSPENCE

Has anyone checked the Smithville Lake area and had any luck? I'm thinking about going out there early tomorrow and looking since none of my spots are producing yet!

19. MO ShroomSniper

Haven't checked Smithville. Think I'll check out a little further south tomorrow. Blue springs/lees summit area

FITTYSPENCE likes this.
  20. ms_ morel

ms_ morel Morel Enthusiast

Don't ya think that there are way too many people around Smithville Lake to fool with it? I know there is one heck of a LOT of ground up there, but it's also way too popular, too? Just wondering...........

FITTYSPENCE likes this.