Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Called around a few orchards in the St.Joseph/Atchison area to see what the buying prices were starting at. Fairly low here, the best price I found was $27.50lb, going to take SuperPickers advice & sell them myself this year. Out of everyone in the area here there has only been 35lbs bought so far & they came from southern ks/ok

· Registered
944 Posts
Phil, The going to the military date is hard to predict. I have gone there every year since the 80's, earliest for peak was last year around the first week of April. Latest first week of May, which was in the late 90's. These are just dates based on pictures. I am not sure how cold it got out that way last night, mid 20's maybe. I hope things do hit up these parts by next week. I have been able to eat out of the bottoms, but selling quantities are hard to come by unless you go way south. All this moisture and more coming, we need a nice burst of warmth to have some real fun. Yeah St. Joe buyers are cheap, I know I live here.

· Registered
24 Posts
Thanks KB, & yes Kc was confused a little..thought you were saying you were from southern ks & there wasn't anything lol. Understand now though. Seen some decent looking spots yesterday by the Platte River on my way to KC. Also stopped in the missou river bottoms to check on the small greys I left, cold weather killed them. Things start warming up here this week though should be good hunting. Heading to Manhattan next friday so if anyone wants to ride with let me know.

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yep,that's why I picked the little guys I found....they looked fresh and very alive!! But when examined carefully they all had brown spots and streaks on the stems.they were on their way out even before the last two nights of frost!
Made a small dishful,good thing I had a couple of bites before putting on the table cuz my kids HOGGED them :)

· Registered
24 Posts
Lol, eventually I'll have to worry about that. My 4yr old is rather picky of what he'll eat, which I don't understand. He loves alligator but will not eat mushrooms. He loves finding them though & usually gets more than me. I credit it to him being so low to the ground ;)

· Registered
944 Posts
A nice warm rain tomorrow and Monday with some sun to warm things up would be nice. Supposed to get cold again on Tuesday. Picked enough from bottoms pre-frost to feed dad, me, and fill the gas tank. Two day opportunity cost was 8 hours of climbing through the most god awful post flood, dead fallen timber pile from the flood of 2011 that you could ever imagine. I barely got out alive. But that is where they were.

· Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, just sent a pic to super picker on what was found today along the river just south of Atchison 2miles. Probably about 1 1/2lbs of yellows. Going to head back to the bottoms tomorrow afternoon on Missou side next week looks promising weather wise.

· Registered
137 Posts
There was a large controlled burn on state land near my house this past winter. Are burn spots really more productive? Are hunting strategies different? Should I go to the burn site and look for Elms by creek bottoms? You guys seem to be very knowledgeable, so I'm hoping for some advice.

· Registered
59 Posts
KB, are you looking along the rivers edge and if so how close to the river? Do you look under the old drift wood covered with dead vines? I'm a beginner looking for more sdvice on where to look, any info will be helpful. Thanks and good luck!

· Registered
19 Posts
Went out with the wife today NE of Liberty, and we got skunked... The one tree that I found like 50 under last year was washed out and had a huge collection of debris under it from the creek that it sits next to... :( . Just didn't see anything...

· Registered
944 Posts
KC, How did you get such a good looking kid? Or is it just the morels? Just getting going with this heat and rain north of I- 70 is ready to go. Bottoms have been hit and miss up here for a couple of weeks up here. Chef, sorry about the bad coordinates. Should have sent you where Mitch was. That place is a god awful mess to climb through, this must have been the best year there in decades.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.