Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm new to leeks however I found a huge patch late last summer while scouting for deer season that were already forming seed. The place is in Jefferson Co and is a little bit of a drive from my house so I want to time my trip just right. Any tips on when I should plan to go?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They emerge as soon as the snow cover is gone. Down here in Oneida County I could of harvested some advanced patches last weekend. Today it will be a quick task to fill a bucket. As a reference, I saw someone mowing their lawn for the first time, this spring, yesterday.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had a leek fest yesterday. Bunch of people around a fire cooking up leeks. The leeks were grown, plentiful, and sweet!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm seeing tons of them this year. The leaves are about 4" high right now. We usually don't gather any until around May 1st. Ramps, morels and fresh eggs make for a great breakfast!!

You can keep them fairly fresh for quite a while in the fridge by not washing them. Then again, after going through the effort to dig them up, it's difficult not to include them in a dish every time the opportunity presents itself.

Ramps and fingerling potatoes make a great soup using any available potatoe leek soup recipe.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oil in a skillet, not too hot, you want the bulbs to cook without burning the leaves. After cleaning I cut the plant into threes (to make consumption easier), throw them in the pan, salt, pepper. Scoop them up with some Pita bread, enjoy.
The wife also makes a linguine type sauce with leeks which we have over pasta.
We use them in everything and freeze a bunch. Season is short and the younger the better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a spot up here I can check. There's usually thousands in the patches I get them from. I'll check it out over the next couple days.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the tips geogymn! I made a frittata this morning with leeks and leftover Easter ham that I cured and smoked myself. Husband said it was the best frittata he ever had. Going to try your ideas and possibly pickled leeks.

Heading out in the morning for another round of digging. When you guys harvest leeks, do you leave the bottom part of the bulb and the roots to grow next year?

1 - 20 of 129 Posts