1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Leeks

Discussion in 'New York' started by geogymn, Apr 9, 2017.

1. geogymn

geogymn Morel Connoisseur

Oneida County, Valley of the Mohawk. Leeks are up! Harvest next weekend. Cast iron pan, oil, a fire in the woods, that's living! Enjoy the hunt!

FattyG and Immorel like this.
  2. hoblershang

hoblershang Morel Connoisseur

Still nothing up here in the north. Won't b long though.

Immorel likes this.

3. katydid

katydid Morel Enthusiast

I'm new to leeks however I found a huge patch late last summer while scouting for deer season that were already forming seed. The place is in Jefferson Co and is a little bit of a drive from my house so I want to time my trip just right. Any tips on when I should plan to go?

Immorel likes this.
  4. geogymn

They emerge as soon as the snow cover is gone. Down here in Oneida County I could of harvested some advanced patches last weekend. Today it will be a quick task to fill a bucket. As a reference, I saw someone mowing their lawn for the first time, this spring, yesterday.

Immorel likes this.
  5. hoblershang

I'm only a few miles from Jefferson County. I'd say at least a week before they come up. Once they start it don't take long for um to grow.

Immorel likes this.
  6. geogymn

Had a leek fest yesterday. Bunch of people around a fire cooking up leeks. The leeks were grown, plentiful, and sweet!

Immorel likes this.
  7. Immorel

Immorel Morel Enthusiast

Are you guys talking about wild ramps?

8. morel rat

morel rat Morel Connoisseur

Yes Ramps and Leeks same thing... Enjoy!

9. Immorel

Immorel Morel Enthusiast

My favorite way to eat them is pickled. YUM!!

FattyG likes this.
  10. Immorel

Immorel Morel Enthusiast

I recently heard of a recipe for a ramp/leek pesto for pasta that I want to try this season. You use the leaf rather than the bulb.

FattyG likes this.
  11. bigfish1212

bigfish1212 Morel Enthusiast

Absolutely I do a mix of fiddleheads and ramps.
    But my favorite way to eat them is heavily charged on the grill with just olive oil and S-P. Sometimes a remoulade or shiracha aoili to dip them in.

12. Immorel

Immorel Morel Enthusiast

That sounds delicious!!

13. katydid

katydid Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice on timing. I'm heading out later this week to check my spot!

Immorel likes this.
  14. hayslope

hayslope Morel Enthusiast

I'm seeing tons of them this year. The leaves are about 4" high right now. We usually don't gather any until around May 1st. Ramps, morels and fresh eggs make for a great breakfast!!

You can keep them fairly fresh for quite a while in the fridge by not washing them. Then again, after going through the effort to dig them up, it's difficult not to include them in a dish every time the opportunity presents itself.

Ramps and fingerling potatoes make a great soup using any available potatoe leek soup recipe.

FattyG, Immorel and (deleted member) like this.
  15. hoblershang

Finally seeing them popping up everywhere.

16. katydid

katydid Morel Enthusiast

0418171448~2.jpg
    Found these in Jefferson County this afternoon. Never have found them when they were still edible. Now to find some good recipes!

17. Ridgerunner58

Ridgerunner58 Young Morel

I will be on my first forage this weekend if no shrooms then it will be ramps for sure

Immorel likes this.
  18. geogymn

Oil in a skillet, not too hot, you want the bulbs to cook without burning the leaves. After cleaning I cut the plant into threes (to make consumption easier), throw them in the pan, salt, pepper. Scoop them up with some Pita bread, enjoy.
    The wife also makes a linguine type sauce with leeks which we have over pasta.
    We use them in everything and freeze a bunch. Season is short and the younger the better.

FattyG, Immorel and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Immorel

Immorel Morel Enthusiast

I have a spot up here I can check. There's usually thousands in the patches I get them from. I'll check it out over the next couple days.

20. katydid

katydid Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for the tips geogymn! I made a frittata this morning with leeks and leftover Easter ham that I cured and smoked myself. Husband said it was the best frittata he ever had. Going to try your ideas and possibly pickled leeks.

Heading out in the morning for another round of digging. When you guys harvest leeks, do you leave the bottom part of the bulb and the roots to grow next year?

FattyG and (deleted member) like this.