Leeks

Discussion in 'New York' started by geogymn, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Morel Insanity

Morel Insanity Morel Enthusiast

Thank you, we always do enjoy the hunts, even when we come home empty-handed. It really is hard to be patient, especially when it's so close, but time in the wilds is never disappointing [well, other than the ticks, ew]. Thinking we can check our spot tomorrow or Tuesday, and will update here, for science or something. :D

Hoping you're able to collect soon - ramps, and morels as well! It's nice to be here, and wishing everyone a great season!

* meant "averse", not "adverse" in my first post, oh well.

2. Morel Insanity

No sign here yet - just seeing little wild strawberry leaves and ferns starting at this point. Got some Sawyer Permethrin to treat our clothes. This will be our first time trying it, and I hope it works as well as I've heard!

Shroom Picker likes this.

3. geogymn

geogymn Morel Connoisseur

I've soaking my hiking and foraging clothes in Permethrin for the last couple years with great results, thus far.

4. Morel Insanity

Oh, I really appreciate this, thank you! Looks like we're on hold for a little longer, as we're a bit buried in snow again right now. Ugh! Two days ago, we were out scouting some spots on a sunny day, and people were everywhere. This year may be interesting, with everyone wanting out of their houses with nowhere else to go.

Hope you and yours, as well as everyone else here, are staying safe.

Alicia Winter likes this.
  5. geogymn

geogymn Morel Connoisseur

Oneida County, Mohawk Valley
    First Leek harvest on this past Friday! Had a great meal Fri. eve.
    Another harvest yesterday, a fire in the woods and another tasty meal.

Also Scarlet Cups abound.

6. Bowguy

Bowguy Morel Enthusiast

if I may, sawyers is way too expensive. Go to tractor supply, get their concentrate. There are recipes showing how much water to add for what and a mix gauge is included. Mix it in a spray bottle.
    I’ve used a small bottle for years now (a large one is 20 bucks but you’ll never use it) I use it on hounds that are run year round, turkey clothes, deer clothes, fish gear, scout gear, forage clothes.
    This 10 dollar bottle is still almost full and it’s used multiple times a week on the dogs since they run through water. Never found one tick. just a FYI

Morel Insanity likes this.
  7. Inthewild

Inthewild Morel Connoisseur

@Bowguy, We are all ears. Please share manufacturer and model number if possible. Thank You

8. Bowguy

Bowguy Morel Enthusiast

It’s made by Gordan’s but I bet other companies make it too. In your area they may even carry another brand
    Pic of bottle
    3540EADE-7473-4F30-ACF4-DA4D5D782AE5.jpeg

9. Morel Insanity

This is very helpful - thanks so much for the tip, and I'll definitely keep it in mind for when we run out! We're hoping to get out a lot more often this year, so I imagine we'll go through what we have rather quickly.

10. Morel Insanity

So... last year, we planted a few ramps in our garden, and they've finally started coming up! It's our little indicator patch, and I was so happy to see them. Now we'll have a better idea of when to check our friends' land for a real harvest. They never knew what they had, and it was pretty awesome to introduce them to a few things about which they were unaware [including morels]. We process and get to give back to them for their kindness. Life is good!