Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

81 - 100 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
i use a big fan and a screen to blow off most of the brown chafe off. then 3 water baths gets the sand and dirt off. back in the day i was pickin 5000 to 7000 pounds in a season. try not to get them wet besfore u blow the chafe off.
5000 lbs. ??? Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I typically steam em than put a little butter, maybe lemon pepper on em. or after I steam em I put aside for other things. I mix em in eggs pretty common.
Tried some recipe my girl dug up on you tube was ok too. After steaming you run em into cold water to stop cooking. Than sauté them in light oil and garlic. Once done you dribble lemon on em. Not bad, I still like the easier ways better.
Hate to say it cause it doesn’t sound right but I’ve covered em w cheddar like is sometimes done w broccoli. That was good too.
There really isn’t a bad way to do em.
Those are easy ideas to start you
View attachment 29910 View attachment 29912 View attachment 29914 these are the last 3 nights meals.fiddlehead chedder biscuit and venison stew. goulash . the last is fried chicken with utica greens but i use fiddleheads instead of escarole.
Thank you both so much for the ideas and pics, much appreciated! I love cheddar, and tend to feel it belongs on everything, so I'm sure fiddleheads will be no exception for me! And holy crap, Ceder, I'm in awe of your hauls - you must really have had quite the spots.

After seeing these dishes, methinks I will go on a Fiddlehead forage.
Heck ya Geo! Stopped on my lunch break by one of pgs to check n see if fiddleheads would be there too. Hell ya a stretch of about 300 yds starting 20 ft from my truck scattered throughout. To early too. View attachment 29948
Wishing you both great luck when it comes time! Everyone here has definitely inspired me even more to try some this year. We have a couple of restaurants in our area that serve fiddleheads in season, but of course that's not a possibility at this time. I've only heard positive responses from people who have tried them.

Well since we are all foraging...Late fall I saw a huge patch of asparagus.Can not wait for the weather to cooperate.
Ugh, we found a patch a couple of years ago, but when we returned, it had been completely dug up by workers expanding a trail. Of course, I don't blame them at all for doing their job, but it was a sad discovery. I hope you don't experience the same heartache!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
ya i sold to whole salers in newyork city, syracuse, rhode island, and Boston and to alot of restaurants in cny. it all got shut down a few years ago whole sale buyers that is.
Wow! Sounds too much like work.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
ya i sold to whole salers in newyork city, syracuse, rhode island, and Boston and to alot of restaurants in cny. it all got shut down a few years ago whole sale buyers that is.
Why did it get shut down? What happened?

·
Registered
36 Posts
i been doin business with these guys for 15 years but when the roman lettuce scare happened 3 years ago . thats when it stsrted to fold

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wow! Sounds too much like work.
Yeah, I like my high ticket items. At best in my thickest fiddlehead patches I can only pick about 7lbs an hour using both hands. Selling them at $2-$3lb does not work for me. Especially with ticks as bad as they are now days. I don't let whole sellers take 70% of my hard work. Its all about cost benefit. Someone else earlier was asking about the fiddleheads location, I have found that just about any meandering creek or river bank will be the place you find them in patches in access of a hundred yards at a time. Key there is just catching the season at the right time. There could be none and then 3 days in mid 70's to 80's and they are gone just like that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Shoot.I tried to post a pic not sure what's up.My grandfather use to make a tea from leaves and root.He suffered headaches his whole life.He had eight kids also,he would mix a concotion.for them to get sleep..

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Hey Geo.Treat them like any leafy green.Rinse well..Saute in butter,use as salad green.When they flower they start to get bitter.I try to get them before they flower.
Thanks, I will do with pleasure if the nature gods allow.

81 - 100 of 136 Posts