Leeks

Discussion in 'New York' started by geogymn, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Catskill Longbow

Catskill Longbow Morel Enthusiast

Made a big pot of homemade chicken stock in the morning then filled a pail with leeks after work. Going to make a big pot of soup in the snow storm tomorrow. Last of the spring tonic.

Attached Files:

2. Catskill Longbow

Catskill Longbow Morel Enthusiast

Bulbs are nice so I will pickle some too

Morel Insanity likes this.

3. Morel Insanity

Morel Insanity Morel Enthusiast

Hobler, I think we can all identify with your foraging excitement, and those pics are beautiful! Thank you for sharing how you prepped the fiddleheads. :)

Catskill, we love pickled ramp bulbs! Some of the bulbs we got went into pesto, but we still have enough to make a small jar.

My husband just made some garlic mustard pesto, and it will be our first time trying it. Right now, it's a little bitter, but we kind of expected that as we used large leaves and included some root. Think we'll forget the root and try just the smaller leaves next time. Luckily, we both enjoy experimenting!

3 people like this.
  4. hoblershang

hoblershang Morel Connoisseur

Another nice little trip. KIMG2140.JPG

Morel Insanity and Inthewild like this.
  5. Morel Insanity

Such a beautiful pic, and that looks like an incredible haul! As a woman who grew up canoeing and exploring the wilds with my parents, it makes me very happy to see your young foraging partner. She will always treasure these times with you, and no matter where her path may take her as she grows up, I'm confident she will never lose her love for the outdoors. I never did, even after university and many years in the Los Angeles/Hollywood area. I may have come home with funny piercings and unnatural hair colors, but come home I did - the call of the wild is strong and does not judge!

3 people like this.
  6. geogymn

geogymn Morel Connoisseur

That's deep!

7. Morel Insanity

Haha, I may be feeling a certain way lately! No kids of my own, but great parenting is always worth celebrating in my opinion, as is passing along a love of nature to the young'uns! :D

2 people like this.
  8. geogymn

geogymn Morel Connoisseur

Stinging Nettles! Harvested a bunch on Sunday. Wife made a scrumptious dish with Pork Chops smothered with Nettles. The way she did it really brought out the taste of the Nettles, kinda spinach like.

9. Morel Insanity

And now we have to try stinging nettles for the first time! Spinach-like is right up my alley!

1 person likes this.