Lets start a fresh 2016 Georgia Morel find post...

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by pondman, Mar 14, 2016.

1. tmtylopz

tmtylopz Young Morel

Moved here from Missouri two years ago and now live in PTC. I would love info about morals in the area. Last year I did not have any luck maybe I'll find some morals this year.

2. retiredchief

retiredchief Morel Enthusiast

Uncle fester check your other messages in Facebook I sent you a message it won't let me re-request you as a friend.

3. retiredchief

Uncle fester check your other messages on facebook

4. greq

greq Young Morel

I am in Athens, Georgia, and I still have not found a single one yet! :(

5. stasiakj

stasiakj Morel Connoisseur

6. stasiakj

stasiakj Morel Connoisseur

Tmtylopz, shoot me an email.

7. greq

greq Young Morel

Any updates today from anyone? Should be getting some rain around here soon!

8. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur Sponsor

Late season for you all down there in GA?

here is what the ground bloom looks like up here in Ky. Very slow underbrush growth. The tree blooms are showing up bright and early on the flip side. So hopefully that gives us some quick shade. We need some rain as you can see in this video.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElBqGZ0h358[/video]

9. retiredchief

Anyone in the Canton area, hit me up I am free next weekend and would love to get out and do some hunting, just not familiar with the area. Email is [email protected]

10. splitcog

splitcog Young Morel

First time out looking for morels (or mushrooms of any variety). I'm down in the heart of Atlanta looking around wooded areas. Havent had much luck yet, but all this rain has me hopeful.

11. uncle fester

uncle fester Morel Enthusiast

I found a few more in Canton last night. Nothing like last year, and they are all gray, indicating that it is still early. Plus another cold snap this weekend. Is it me, or is it slow this season? Weather? Peachtree city is a little too far south for me. Hope everyone finds something soon. Ate some fresh ones last night though. Yumm!

12. uncle fester

I live in Woodstock and will check a new spot tonight. Classified location. LOL. I have been finding them in Canton, but not my spot in Decatur. Might be a late season.

13. pondman

pondman Morel Enthusiast

Nothing yet for me hear in Dawsonville.... thinking a late season??

14. ysidro

ysidro Young Morel

I’m around Macon / Perry. I’m hoping to meet-up with anybody with some experience.
    [email protected]

15. uncle fester

ysidro, you may be a little late there. When I lived in Warner Robins, the furthest south I ever found them was at High Falls Park north of Forsyth. I only found a few handfulls, but I was still excited. Chris Matherly (www.morelmushroomhunting.com) went with me and at that time, that was the furthest south a morel had ever been found (2003-4). Good luck.

16. uncle fester

Pondman, YES definitely a late season. This week, should be the start of at least a few good spots. The flooding over the winter did not help things and this crazy hot/cold/hot weather is messing them up.

17. nashj1

nashj1 Young Morel

I am from Indiana and am still trying to work out the differences here. We found 4 last Tuesday near Red Top, but nothing since. We tried Canton, Cartersville, and Ball Ground. Do you think we have a chance this week or is it over? I am REALLY hoping that we might find more near our original spot.

18. ysidro

ysidro Young Morel

Uncle Fester, thanks for responding.

I appreciate that morels are very difficult this far south. I'm actually interested in mushroom hunting in general. I understand this board is dedicated to morels, but as mushroom hunting is uncommon down here, I'll ask wherever I can.

19. uncle fester

ysidro, try www.morelmushroomhunting.com LOTS of great information on all types of mushrooms.

20. gunner76

gunner76 Young Morel

Hey everyone,

I need some advice from the avid shroom hunters down here as my frustration is starting to consume me!

I am originally from MI in which I would find hundreds of morels each year primarily searching around recently dead elms and apple trees, occasionally a few around ash trees, especially on southern facing slopes. Down here I am very hard pressed to find any quality elms or apple trees. I live north of Atlanta and have spent countless hours searching areas near Dallas, Kennesaw, Acworth, Sandy Springs and Woodstock over the past couple of years to no avail. Am I missing something here?

I have read numerous times that you have to look in the sandy soils of lower ground surrounding creeks / streams and near ash trees down here in GA.

Is there something else that I need to be looking for to direct me to the holy grail? I'm beginning to feel like newbie aimlessly walking through the woods.

Any constructive advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!