Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble finding good places to hunt mushrooms around Fairfield that haven't been trampled through and are open to public hunting. Anyone have suggestions as to how to come up with some new spots without getting shot at?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Sure, dmb291975, scope the backroads for good, private ground, channel your inner shroomer self, and ASK.

I generally offer to share with the landowner ("if I find any"). They're usually down with it. In fact, I left a bag of 35 or so on the doorknob of a farmer today. I've been shrroming there for over 20 years. They really appreciate it because they're too busy with spring planting to get out. Once you've established a positive relationship you'll be in like flint next year.

BTW, I was down in Jefferson, Wapello and Keosaqua Counties yesterday and almost got skunked. Things are awfully dry and the 40 I found were mostly stressed. Half-dried or (worse) crumbly. It's about over down there unless you're in deep ravines on the north/northeast slopes. Years ago I had good luck in Lake Darling SP in deep ravines during late season.

Go north, and go get 'em!

·
Registered
505 Posts
There's God!:) hey get out and get them! Don't give up now even if your eyes are bad!! Iowa should be crCkalakin! Don't let me down God I know you can find more elm:)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hey Buckthornman, just like us here, you need a good 2 inches of precip up there! I'll do a rain dance for you and if it works I'll be heading that way. And so your spots will be safe I promise I won't cross the border. LOL

Then again....hmmmm

:twisted:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts