Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found these today, will try to add pics. All were at the base of young oaks and following the root line. Very firm and fleshy, not really much odor yet. I'm thinking Maitake or Berkleys. This stuff was everywhere in about a sixty square yard area. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Thats definitely not the start of maitaki and pretty sure its not the start of berkleys either not sure what you have there but hen of the woods looks like a smaller version of one when its coming up

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think this is a slime mold of some sort. Slime molds often encompass vegetation. It's definitely not Grifola frondosa, maitake (=hen of the woods) or Bondarzewia berkeleyi. Berkeley's polyore.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The fungi is named Helvellosebacina concrescens. No known comon name. It can be found om page 313 of the Field Guide to Mushrooms of the Carolina's. A similar fungi is Sebacina sparassoidea.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. Didn't really figure it was, but was kinda hoping haha. Anyway, now it is really time to start looking! Good luck all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi,
I've noticed a whitish line of mycelium at or near the base of many Oasks that often have Grifola frondosa fruiting in the fall. It may of may not be from the Grifola mycelium. It's not a raised thing, just a thin coating.
Berkely's polypore and other similar fungi can look kinda like the white blobs in the picture when jsutstarting Even some Ganodermas start out as semi soft white blobs. There's never any harm in guessing, it's how we all earn more about fngi. FYI- mushroom expert mentioned above has a very extensive collection of mushroom pictures and descriptions if you know the genus and species and want more info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts