Lots of black trumpets and a mystery...

Discussion in 'New York' started by spanielmander, Jul 11, 2015.

1. spanielmander

spanielmander Morel Enthusiast

Update: it was plastic, and is now in the trash where it belongs. Another question though: Will 1 lb. 5 oz. of black trumpets keep in the fridge for 7 days? I put them in a paper bag, then another paper bag, then clamped the top shut. Didn't wash them--straight from the woods to the fridge. There were some slug eaten ones but no really old ones. I pinched the dirty bottom parts off too. So, whadayathink, 7 days? I'd like to cook them for some friends next weekend.

2. lynkage

lynkage Morel Connoisseur

7 days seems a bit long to me Spaniel but I haven't kept them that long myself.I have kept other wild mushrooms in the fridge on a paper plate,uncovered, for at least a week because I forgot about them.They dried out a little but seemed fine.I didn't eat them because I had fresh ones and was worried about other fridge odors in them.You may want to open the bag every couple of days and give them a gentle turn so they get some oxygen.Good luck! P.S. Sorry your mystery didn't turn out to be more interesting.I've been in the middle of nowhere and found a pair of flip-flops.Got nervous about maybe a body nearby!

3. spanielmander

spanielmander Morel Enthusiast

Ha Lynk, yeah I worry about stumbling on a body sometimes. So, if you don't suggest leaving these for 7 days, what in your opinion is my best option for preserving them? I was thinking I would air dry them if it came to that. Don't want to apply too much heat as I'm worried about flavor... and they're so thin that I have to assume they'd dry well laid out on wax paper atop a kitchen cabinet with a fan blowing on them. Thoughts?

4. lynkage

Span,drying is my preferred method for these.I crush them up and use them more like a seasoning and it doesn't take many to flavor a dish.They're so delicate they don't hold texture when cooked and some people find it offputting so smaller bits seem to work better.You could try spreading some of them on a cookie sheet and into the freezer then crush them for your guests meal.You have enough to experiment several ways.I'll ask around about other methods.Gotta run!

5. tombombadil

tombombadil Morel Enthusiast

They don't stay in the fridge :( I just threw some slimy ones out from just earlier this week. Wet sac and slimy mushrooms :cry:

6. lynkage

Span,another option(per a friend) is to cook them ahead of time,keep in fridge,and add to dish later.

7. hoblershang

hoblershang Morel Connoisseur

ive got 6.5 lbs of trumpets so far in three picks. found 3 spots all within 30 ft of each other tons there I go once a week n pick a lb ta 2 lbs. I keep mine in a plastic bag in fridge with the bag open n mix them up every oyher day or so they keep at least a week if they last that long.