Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: it was plastic, and is now in the trash where it belongs. Another question though: Will 1 lb. 5 oz. of black trumpets keep in the fridge for 7 days? I put them in a paper bag, then another paper bag, then clamped the top shut. Didn't wash them--straight from the woods to the fridge. There were some slug eaten ones but no really old ones. I pinched the dirty bottom parts off too. So, whadayathink, 7 days? I'd like to cook them for some friends next weekend.

·
Registered
290 Posts
7 days seems a bit long to me Spaniel but I haven't kept them that long myself.I have kept other wild mushrooms in the fridge on a paper plate,uncovered, for at least a week because I forgot about them.They dried out a little but seemed fine.I didn't eat them because I had fresh ones and was worried about other fridge odors in them.You may want to open the bag every couple of days and give them a gentle turn so they get some oxygen.Good luck! P.S. Sorry your mystery didn't turn out to be more interesting.I've been in the middle of nowhere and found a pair of flip-flops.Got nervous about maybe a body nearby!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha Lynk, yeah I worry about stumbling on a body sometimes. So, if you don't suggest leaving these for 7 days, what in your opinion is my best option for preserving them? I was thinking I would air dry them if it came to that. Don't want to apply too much heat as I'm worried about flavor... and they're so thin that I have to assume they'd dry well laid out on wax paper atop a kitchen cabinet with a fan blowing on them. Thoughts?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Span,drying is my preferred method for these.I crush them up and use them more like a seasoning and it doesn't take many to flavor a dish.They're so delicate they don't hold texture when cooked and some people find it offputting so smaller bits seem to work better.You could try spreading some of them on a cookie sheet and into the freezer then crush them for your guests meal.You have enough to experiment several ways.I'll ask around about other methods.Gotta run!

·
Registered
344 Posts
ive got 6.5 lbs of trumpets so far in three picks. found 3 spots all within 30 ft of each other tons there I go once a week n pick a lb ta 2 lbs. I keep mine in a plastic bag in fridge with the bag open n mix them up every oyher day or so they keep at least a week if they last that long.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts