lots of blacks in Mon County, not much else

Discussion in 'West Virginia' started by heresone, Apr 28, 2013.

1. heresone

heresone Morel Enthusiast

Finding nothing but blacks in Monongalia County....I guess the rest are just a bit behind, anyone finding anything else around the area?

2. banjobela

banjobela Young Morel

I have never really found blacks, I guess I just don't look in the right places for them. As a result I rarely find a lot of shrooms early in the season. I have been looking though, especially here in the last 10 days, and haven't seen any yellows yet.

3. pbg

pbg Young Morel

I've been checking a couple reliable spots every other day or so and today is the first I've seen any at all, and they are blacks... Looked like they popped up in the last twelve hours or so. Hope they get a little bigger and I get 'em before the turkeys do!

4. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

Harrison county - I've found about 175 morels since Sunday the 22nd. Of those about 75% have been blacks and the rest split between half-frees and grey/yellows. I found a small flush of greys the 22nd that matured last week and I got them yesterday and they were pretty big, around them a bunch of babies were poking through. The rain yesterday and warmer nite temps will get them out and up here this week.

5. heresone

yeah, my friend in Marion County is tearing it up on the greys....I found one blonde so far... Happily at least all the blacks Im finding are beautiful ones...

6. heresone

OK, found some tiny blondies today.....I left them there, will go back friday and have a Harvesting Hayday!