Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Im sure they do. Find elms and cedars but Im afraid the season in almost if not already over. I live on the East side of Texas about 45min away from the La border and they are almost all gone here. Found some 2 days ago and they were to far gone. 80's today.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am out of town a lot but perhaps someone would like to organize a foraging outing in SW Louisiana through the mycological society in Houston or the guy who takes people on trips South of Fort Polk. I know also some people have been growing various mushroom varieties now, maybe morels could be introduced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can buy spores and plant them on eBay or propagate them.
I have propagated tiny dried slivers of bolete mushrooms before but never tried morels. They say you can do it now. It was once thought impossible.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The wetter the ground the less likely you will find a morel. They like well drained soil and I know the further south you get the more boggy it gets. Find the higher dry ground where the elms and oaks grow. Morels like lots of shade. I have been for years now taking morel spores and dropping them in other areas I have yet to find them. I have seen limited success. It may be a 3-5 year thing in those areas so Im watching them for more growth.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello new friends,
I am a newbie to mycology. I just started learning about mushrooms over the past year after completing the Acadiana Master Naturalist course. I am finally starting to feel comfortable with the idea of foraging and would love to meet up with others who have more experience. Located in Lafayette.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts