madison county

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by woodsman1, Apr 1, 2014.

1. woodsman1

woodsman1 Morel Connoisseur

Well still no signs of life. Walked bout 5 miles yesterday an areas still look dead. Hope these warmer days an rain helps. Found roughly 150 lbs last year. Some are saying due to the drought last year that this should be a record year. I am new to this site this year. I have always watched it to see how other hunters are doing an thought this year I would chime in. Good luck fellow hunters. Season will be on soon

2. spud2434367

spud2434367 Morel Enthusiast

Ant been out yet. But its looking good. Spud (SF) old Marine.

3. woodsman1

Woods r still winterized. Found some potential good spots. Will keep checking an post any finds. Luckily I still have about 10lbs of dehydrated morels from last yrs finds. It had kept me satisfied for this long winter. But boy some good fresh blacks or greys would be great right now. Good thing for dehydraters.

4. shroomdonger

shroomdonger Morel Connoisseur

Keep us posted Woodsman, I live 5 hours north but always watch for the S Illinois reports in anticipation! Good luck!

5. woodsman1

So question. I dont have private property to hunt. What I look for is the wooded areas that I see have potential trees. Most of the time they are just huge sections of wooded land. I always make sure there is no private property or no trespassing signs. If not then I assume its safe an ok to hunt that area. Am I assuming right or is there a law about hiking thru propertys. Also I dont search areas that have houses on the property. Most of my areas are farm lands or areas back off of rds or highways

6. morelas must-shroom

morelas must-shroom Morel Connoisseur

Woodsman,if you aren't on city,state or federal land you are trespassing on private land posted or not.

7. spud2434367

Sorry if this goes 2 times. Have you ever found morels before the may apple comes up.

8. woodsman1

Is there away to find out if its city. Most of my areas are along a river. No houses around an no signs

9. morelas must-shroom

morelas must-shroom Morel Connoisseur

If its in the country probably not city land. Find a house and ask. Anyone living in the area should know whose property it is.

10. woodsman1

Thank you for the Info. Most areas are along the river bottoms. I try to stay clear of any areas I think may be personal property. Took a soil temp today. Was around 50. But still need the warm days. Still a couple weeks I think. Checked a few of my normal hiney holes today in the rain. Still not much life. Hopefully will see some major changes in the nest week

11. shroomdonger

shroomdonger Morel Connoisseur

I wouldn't assume property is public without knowing for sure. Contact the County Soil and Water Office. They normally have a county plat book. Once you have found some potential grounds, make sure you check the rules, some places do not allow shroomers. Also, it's turkey season, so be careful and know where you are going so you don't end up in a hunted area.

12. woodsman1

Well we definitely got the rain now we just need some warmer days. Im hoping with the longer winter it will giv us a longer morel season. I have been scouting out a few new areas to try. If any one is looking for a hunting partner I am self employed so I can be free any day while others r working. That way we can get an early jump. I would never ask to show me your honey holes nor will I show mine (every hunter has to have there little secrets) but if any one has scouted any new areas they wana try I could also share some of the areas I have scouted. Im pretty good at finding them. Usually pull bout 150lbs a year. Any ways let me no. Good luck shroomers its coming

13. ztankr

ztankr Morel Enthusiast

looks like Saturday will be a good day to start looking. Can't wait!!!

14. morrel huntin 77

morrel huntin 77 Morel Enthusiast

APRIL 14TH MORRELS WILL BE UP FORSURE . FIGURE THE BLACKS WILL BE UP THIS THURSDAY .

15. old henry

old henry Morel Enthusiast

They are up in So IL( So IL in my opinion is everything south of I-64) Come down this way or wait up there. It wont be long for y'all up there

16. spud2434367

Around SIU, May Apples up about 2 inch. Went out for about 2 hours. No luck, People are out. No bags in hand. LOL

17. woodsman1

Searched 3 of my honey holes that produce early every year an always big quantities an still nothing yet. Ground has moisture but need more warm days. Mayapples up a little. Woods starting to turn green. Stepped on 2 snakes today. Thats gona be the bad part this year is being so late in the year now all the snakes will be out. Still hoping to have blacks popping by this weekend. Will be out everyday from here on out. Will keep posted

18. woodsman1

Searched a couple of my areas today an still nothing. Ground is starting to green up. Found a few good size patches of ramps growing already. i checked creek bottoms, South facing hills an flat lands with open canopy but no luck. Cold nites on the way may slow it down even more. Im still thinkn 2 weeks before there really up. Need more warm days

19. spud2434367

20. woodsman1

Well I checked 3 of my honey holes today that always produce early an still nothing. These areas are 90 percent elms. One area even has some burn sites an another has some loged areas. I checked southside hills, creekbeds an flats an no luck. Think we need little more rain an definitly warmer days. Not sure how these cold nites on the way will do. Couple of my areas the greenery is starting to get thick if they don't pop soon I wont beable to find them. Thinkn bout heading south tomorro for the day