1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Madison County

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by retarmyguy, Apr 1, 2015.

1. retarmyguy

retarmyguy Morel Enthusiast

Anxious to hear about the first morels found in Madison county. Feel free to join my post. I've got the fever so did go out to a few places yesterday that I found a few dozen last year at, just checking. Hopefully they will be poppin' in the next couple weeks. I will let you know when I find my first one. Good luck hunting everyone!

2. woodsman1

woodsman1 Morel Connoisseur

Went out today an checked some of my early spots that produced about 10 lbs of black early last year am still nothing yet. Plenty of moisture. With the upcoming warm rains this week an warmer days an nights I think next weekend should be a good start. But will be out everyday checking from here on out

3. retarmyguy

RetArmyGuy here, headed out to my spots today just to check again, even though I know it is too early. Didn't come across any of the morels. I did come across patches of mayapples though, 6-8" tall, might be a good sign shrooms are just around the corner! Good Luck hunting!

4. shroomaholic

shroomaholic Morel Enthusiast

Yea RAG i live north of Vandalia Montgomery/Fayette
    And hadn't found none myself think it's about week early and just wondering feel free
    To comment but I beleive you know your trees you will find shrooms up where I'm at I hit
    On soft maples and sycamore and the right cottonwood and dead elm is killer!! But what trees yall on here usually
    Find yours around???

5. woodsman1

Went out today on my early southern hills an still nothing. Everything is prime tho. Plenty of moisture. May apples about 6-10 inches. any day now. Just need some sun. Temps are perfect. After this weekend it will be on. Will need a couple days of sun to kick all this moisture in to action

6. twig-n-berries

twig-n-berries Morel Enthusiast

Greys are popping in northern Madison County have been last 2 days.. Not alot of them and not big all on south hills or south facing wood edges. Found 10 yesterday Found 14 today.. North or Granite City and West alton area all these were found along the river pretty much.. Good luck only gonna get better daily with the rain and heat..

7. woodsman1

Twig. I've been to a couple of my spots in I believe the same area your talking about an have had no luck yet an it usually produces early in these spots. Can you tell me what the Condition of the areas your finding them in. is it still bare areas or greened out. An were they along elms? it sounds like we hunt the same area. I was there today to an struck out. I was in a Grey dodge ram if you seen me

8. woodsman1

Checked 3 more spots today an still no luck. Anybody having any good luck in Madison County. I will be out everyday from here on out. But curious if my spots are done producing or if it's just not there time yet

9. shroomaholic

Woodsman I live 30 miles north of Madison county and I found three in front yard yesterday
    Small greys but they have started here

10. retarmyguy

Today I made the trek to the area where I found a few dozen last year and had no luck. I noticed things are really greening up fast in the woods in those areas, especially the ground cover. By the way, I do live in the Edwardsville area.

11. shroomaholic

Can I shroom hunt before 1:00 in the shawanee national
    Forest? If someone could help me out it would be appeiciated!
    Thanks

12. twig-n-berries

Sorry woodsman haven't been on here last couple days.. Anyways I'm finding all that I've found in almost direct sunlight none around elms these are all coming from a area filled with large Maple trees on a wood edge running east west on the south side ground is still pretty bare in those areas except the ones actually I've found outside the tree line in direct sun are growing in basically grass with thick decomposed maple leaves buried down in the grass kinda tucked under in the Japanese honeysuckle that's growing along the edge.... I don't know if I can explain it any better.. On another note though I've went last 2 days and found zero I won't be able to go again til next Wednesday unless I hit this usually late spot some time this weekend just too kill some time.. I think it's still early and moisture was just right for the spots I hit because their not popping there anymore and my early reliable spots ain't popped a thing yet so I'm kinda confused but still very optomistic for early to middle next week to really start to getting popping them greys..

13. woodsman1

Finally. All my hard searching paid off today at one of my honey holes. Found 12 Greys an 27 yellows all around elm or ash flats lands

14. twig-n-berries

Nice.. any size to them?

15. woodsman1

Biggest was about 3 inches. Most were 1-2 inches. Left them to grow for couple more days

16. woodsman1

Found 15 blacks today at one of my private spots. Left at least another 3 dozen that were all the size of a pencil eraser. All were on north side facing slopes around ash trees. Will post pics if I can figure how to

17. twig-n-berries

Cool.. You ever hit the Cora Island wildlife area?

18. woodsman1

No. Never even heard of it. I'm n the bethalto area

19. retarmyguy

Took a walk to my spots again, found my first little grey morel, top edge of a creek bank facing south, it was about an inch tall, had broke off and was starting to dry out. I checked another location and came across a half dozen greys just poking up through the leaves, about an inch tall, left them for a few days to mature, hopefully they will be there when I go back. Looks like they are popping! Good Luck to All! Happy Hunting!

20. sfron81

sfron81 Young Morel

Just logged on with Jack's help. Will hold off looking in Fayette County until next week. Looks like a good season ahead. Patience.